O.D.D.? *new here* questions, advice, background, the whole 9...

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2009, 06:27 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
I have a child, who is 9, for most of his child hood been a good kid, slightly hyper but could sit & draw/color or play w/ legos for hours if need be. I had asked his teachers "and" pediatrician if he had ADHD, they said "no way"...

The child is in the therapy (2+ year now) and he see a psychiatrist for Rx's (he's on Paxil). This choice of Paxil was b/c every night, before bed, he'd start crying, say his chest was tight & couldn't breath, the common symptoms for anxiety. We tried for over a year before we tried the Rx route but figured this was the next step.

My DS, well...he's not what I would call a normal "boy" w/ normal "boy" behavior. For almost 3+ years now we (me & my DH, not his bio-dad) have noticed a pattern of bad behavior w/ us, his sibs & now in school.

We've tried everything, sticker charts, rewards, taking away things that he loves to punish, you name it, it's been done.

Recently we stumbled on a person who suggested the O.D.D., I had no idea what that was, but when I went home & did a quick search of it on-line, EVERY SINGLE symptom that O.D.D. listed (except hurting of animals, which I don't even know for sure b/c we don't have animals), he has.

I do not like to self-diagnose or try to find ANYTHING in any child. I hate to medicate period. And I don't like the easy way out of parenting, this isn't "mom & dad are lazy & just want to medicate him & find an excuse to get out of it" thing. We have 3 other children, 12, 3 & 2, the 12 year old has A.D.D., on the highest dose of Concerta, but not biologically related to the 9 year old, my DH's son from his previous marriage.

Here's the other piece of this, I need to find out HOW to test my DS when it comes to O.D.D. to see if in fact he has it or doesn't have it. I don't know how to do that, I mean, I went to a site & recommended a ton of things ranging from an EEG test to Mineral Hair analysis for heavy metals in the brain (which, my insurance doesn't cover ANY of these tests, we're not rich).

Up until I stumbled on this potential O.D.D. thing, I was up to my nose in what to do w/ my DS, I love him, but he was literally putting this wedge between me, the kids & my DH, we were discussing separation b/c he couldn't take it anymore, but I too, couldn't take it anymore.

Also, I am not foreign to M.I.'s, I have a mood disorder, I am bi-polar, PTSD & have anxiety disorders. I seek therapy weekly & seek psychiatric therapy (for my Rx's) every 8 weeks. I've been on the "right" cocktail for a while now & w/ minor tweaking, it's been okay. I have my moments but you get the idea, it's under control.

Does anyone have any idea HOW to start this testing of O.D.D.? Does the child get tested for A.D.H.D. first or no? (I know they're in the same family). I want to do the right things. I want to help my DS, not hurt him.

Advice please. Again, keep in mind, we've been in therapy for years, he's seeing both a counselor & psychiatrist, it's not improving, I thought maybe he needed a new therapist but when I stumbled onto O.D.D., my jaw hit the floor. It was EVERYTHING my son is/was.

Help is very much appreciated.

~C

Last edited by Daisyfields; December 21st, 2009 at 06:29 AM.
December 22nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
My 7 year old was diagnosed with ADD last year and just recently was diagnosed with ODD as well, a lot of the times they go hand in hand.
He was tested for the ADD first and then after some follow up's the DR did another eval and diagnosed him with the ODD as well. I kind of always knew he had it, and I don't think Austin's eval was as "professional" as most, as I work for his DR and am very good friends with him so we discuss my kids on a more casual manner KWIM?
But yes typically a ADD/ADHD eval is how it is started.

December 23rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Sigh... I guess this "somewhat" good news. I talked to DS' pyschologist in depth about his actions, EVERYTHING, no details left out. Long story short I was told he doesn't even sound like ADD, ADHD or ODD (which I would have preferred) but he has a mood-disorder (bio-polar I or II). I say prefer b/c I know first hand what it is like to have bio-polar b/c I am one of those persons who has been diganosed in 1996. I know the many different medications that can help stable moods, mania & depression, the part that I hate is that A) he's a child, most of these Rx's are NOT FDA approved, not happy about that one. B) he's a child, he hasn't even gone through puberty, and I can't imagine what that will be like. C) Sigh... I know the HELL that one goes through w/ a MI like bi-polar disorder, I know the lack of help & understanding that comes from the uneducated & ignorant people/family/friends. I know that it takes a long time to get the right "cocktail" of medicines for your mood/bi-polar disorder, it took me a good 4 years, to get a good combo, and still today, my psychiatrist will "tweak" as needed.

The part that is good for me, is that I have matured, I understand the disorder, I know that w/ being exposed to this for years, the positives & the pitfalls. I understand how hard it is to function even w/ the right medications. I know how cruel kids can be, so I fear that if he tells ANYONE that he has something like this wrong w/ him, he will be treated poorly & made fun of. I know that they would do that b/c he already has allergies, and they pick on him b/c he's "different" & has to take inhalents at the nurses office 2x's a day, they call him "weird", "stupid", "dumb" & "loser"...nice, but kids, they are cruel.

I also know that there is NO CURE for this, nothing. All you can do is take your meds, go to the doctors for counseling, take it one day at a time & know that there will days that are harder than others. Some days, you can't function, others you're perfect. But, since he's a child, to the extent of HOW he will understand this is going to be hard for me. I don't want him to "label" himself & then use it as a crutch either. He can be a good person, friend, peer & even successful as long as he takes care of himself. He has to be honest, brutely, even if it hurts, to the doctors, otherwise, they will be unable to help him.

Since he's a child (9), to the extent of his vocabulary is going to be a challenge. He's smart, very...but that doesn't mean he can explain WHY he feels a way he does, or even understand the feeling itself.

This is going to be a challenge, which I will embrace 110%, I will not give up, and I will do everything for him that I wished someone would have done for me as a child. I wont turn my cheek, I'll listen. I'll be more patient & I'll know what to look for.

With that said, this isn't what I signed up for, but I am his mother, and his guardian, it's my job to do what ever it takes. I also feel responsible, this is hereditary, not only do I have this, but so does my uncle & grandfather. On his dad's side, his uncle & grandfather also has this. I guess, it was bound to happen?

God, my DS has cried & said "why does God hate me? why does he give people bad allergies?" (we're somewhat religious, attend church & C.C.D.), I explained that God doesn't do things like this to hurt him, that it could be worst, and that this is something he can educated others on, instead of being angry about it. Now if my DS is upset about allergies, how the heck, is he going to embrace, understand & function w/ a mood/bi-polar disorder? I feel horrible.

Sigh...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search