frustrated...and new

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2010, 04:18 PM
so im not really sure where to start, it was suggested that i find a message board with other parents/single parents that may be encountering similar situations as me, by my boyfriend. hes a firm believer in gettin as much support as possible.
so i guess, ill just start at the beginning.
im a single mother to a 3 1/2 yr old who isnt your average kid. She's brilliant, for one thing...too smart for her own good sometimes. her attention span is almost non-exsistent the majority of the time. To even get her to stop and pay attention long enough to go grab her jacket and shoes is sometimes challenging. She is aggressive and not mindful of other peoples space when she plays. Not in a mean way, but more in an overstimulated, uber-excited, oblivious to anyones agenda but her own sort of way. she has overactive senses, fidgeting, a booming voice, and trouble relaxing at night...all signs have pointed to adhd.
ive been told i should bring her to the doctors and put her on meds because she is textbook. she is diagnosed with adhd and spd... i just am not sure what to do....im wearing myself thin and im just not sure what to do...
anyone who can help me, or point me in some sort of direction, would be awesome...

thank you.
January 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MomtoAnnaLise
Hi, I'm no use for any advice yet and this is my first time on this board, but I just wanted to offer you some positive support. You just described my 2 1/2 year old to the letter. She has no concept of space,danger, is constantly in motion, and completely unable to calm herself of relax her body with out a meltdown. She has SPD and probable ADHD according to the neuropsych clinic, they just don't diagnose that at her age. Have you worked with Occupational Therapy? We just had our first regular appointment today after some evaluation appointments. It was great! They had some answers to my questions and some ideas that sounded really promising that I would not have thought of. I was told they don't even consider meds at this age before some intensive occupational and behavior therapy. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
January 30th, 2010, 01:27 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome. You said she is diagnosed with ADHD, has she been tested? If so what is the doctor saying? Who is telling you to put her on meds?

2 of my boys have adhd, my oldest took meds until he was 15 and then decided he didn't want to anymore, my youngest still takes adderall.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

February 11th, 2010, 08:13 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
welcome! My 7 year old was diagnosed with ADD about a year ago and my 11 year old was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5. it's been a very long hard road and we still struggle daily.
they are both on meds and doing much better but still have their issues.

February 23rd, 2010, 09:34 PM
ginnkneephur's Avatar Rainbows and Sunshine
My doctor told me most doctors won't give the diagnoses of ADHD until 5. I would look into some of the occupational and behavioral therapy.

March 17th, 2010, 09:26 AM
luvmykidz's Avatar Veteran
You just described my daughter to a tee. Although my daughter is older, it does seem like she needs to have some behavior therapy and occupational therapy as well. They don't normally diagnose children that young, usually starts around 5 but I've met one doctor (psychologist) who would see them as young as 4.

I just went to the same psychiatrist my son goes to to have her looked at and it does seem to be ADHD for her as well. I hope you are able to get your daughter the help she needs!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search