I joined awhile back but here I am all over again....

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2010, 09:25 PM
ginnkneephur's Avatar Rainbows and Sunshine
I had meant to be a better member but had gotten distracted. So I will reintroduce myself and go from there. My name is Jennifer and I am the mother of two incredible little men. Phillip is 7 and Zakkary is 3. My fiancee and I are expecting number 3 sometime in September. We live in Louisiana and are very happy with our lives.

Phillip was diagnosed with ADHD in September of 2009 and it has been a roller coaster. We have a good days and then we have the days where I feel like I am going to just scream. He was first diagnosed by his pediatrician after talking with Phillips teachers and myself. The doctor gave him 5mg of Focalin XR and it was seeming to help until he threatened to kill himself. He was immediately taken off the medication and put on Adderall XR 5mg. He lasted two days on that medication before his teacher called me during the day to tell me that he was freaking out at school. He was stuck on a spelling word writing it over and over and could not force himself to stop. My son had NEVER displayed those types of behaviors. It was really horrifying. His Dr. pulled him off that med as well and said I needed to consults a psych.

I went through one place but they wouldn't have been able to actually get him in to see the psych for 6 weeks. Six weeks is a long time to wait when you think your child is losing it. I called around and found another place that would get the ball rolling quickly. So within two weeks he was seeing a psych where we found out that the Focalin was not why he threatened what he did. Apparently on his fathers weekend he overhead them talking about an attempted suicide by his 8 year old cousin. So he was playing off the emotions from that. They asked how his behavior had been other wise on the Focalin. Grades and conduct had been amazing so they placed him back on Focalin.

It has been 5 months nearly of being back on Focalin XR. Although his dosage has changed he is doing good. He is a straight A student with great conduct. Afternoons are still hell and bedtime is pure misery but as long as he is getting it together in school I can deal with the rest. The doctor wants to give him a second dosage of 5mg when he gets off the bus to get him through the rest of the day but I am still undecided on if I want to do that or not. That would put him at only 15mg a day but I still feel guilty for medicating him in the first place.

I figured that since I was back on this board posting due to the new pregnancy I should post here too. I can always use a place to vent and to talk with other women who are experiencing some of the same things that I am at this time.

March 11th, 2010, 03:01 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
welcome back!!! My name is Angie and I have 4 kids, 2 of which are ADHD.
Look forward to getting to know you!

March 16th, 2010, 04:13 PM
luvmykidz's Avatar Veteran
I am back too after being gone for a while. I have 4 children and now officially have two ADHDers. Anastasia (Staci) has officially been diagnosed as of Monday with ADHD and her brother, Ryan, was diagnosed at 6. She is 6 now, but has been having signs for a while. We wanted to see how school would be for her, but she has gotten worse, so we took her to the same psychiatrist we take our son to. He says she definitely has a severe form of it, just like her older brother. I'm not sure what she will be taking medication-wise but I sure hope it will help.

Welcome back and I look forward to knowing more about you and your family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search