A couple of questions.."Help" x-posted

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2010, 08:51 PM
LifenTheFastLane's Avatar Mommy 2 Rhys~Rhylee~Jessa
I don't know where to post this but I really need some help with this. I have a son named Rhys "reece" who just turned 5 Feb.16th.
My mother is extremely pushy and every time he visits her house when I pick him up she informs me he needs to be on medication because he has ADHD. She goes as far as to say she will take him to a dr on her own and get him on the medication he needs if I won't do it. She even insist I persuade the Dr that he is definitely ADHD and needs the meds NOW! She says he is out of control and needs to be on something. I personally 100% disagree with her and think he is not ADHD but a normal 5 year old.

How did you know your child had ADHD? What are the signs that warrant them taking medication?

A little background information, his bio father left when he was 2 1/2 yrs old and he very much remembers him, he has not seen him since. I am now remarried and his step father is great with him. We moved into a new house in March 09,but DH lost his job and we lost our house in Nov.09. we had to move in with my mother "his grandma". DH finally got pretty much a dream job and we moved 45miles away. We now make to much money for him to be in the pre k program so we had to take him out not only bc of our income now being to high but bc we now live a hour away. He had to move away from his friends etc once again. The pre k program was M-F at the local elementary he had a "report card" that the teacher reported on everyday. Out of a full month he would get in trouble a max of 3 days out of the month. For example getting out of line when they were leaving, talking when the teacher was talking, arguing with a friend. To me normal prek stuff. The teacher never said he was out of control and when I talked to her he actually finished all his work before everyone else and he is very particular about getting things right. On top of that, he lost his dog which was a big english mastiff that slept with him everynight... Sorry but I am just trying to add as much detail as possible.

Since all of this has happened with a 6month period I feel a lot of his not listening and his issues are from all the things that are going on, moving 2x , losing friends, his dog, etc.
On top of that I found out I am pregnant with #3 on New years and he knows the new baby is coming and I have had severe morning sickness so I have been completely lax on rules bc I felt so crappy I didn't even want to move from the couch. 2 months of letting almost everything he does slide and not getting him in trouble for it is also a reason why I think he is not ADHd, but just realizing he can do what he wants and get away with it bc mommy was couch bound puking every 30 mins. * I am almost over the morning sickness now but getting him back on track, which is yes I am aware very much my fault from being so lax on the rules will take some time.

I am just very overwhelmed with how PUSHY my mother is being about this..

He shares his toys, he has a little brother and shares with him with no problems. He loves to color, he can sit down and color a beautiful picture "for a 5yr old" with all the correct coloring of whatever he is coloring. He loves watching animal planet and discovery channel. We have huge national geographic books he loves for me to read and he remembers all the scientific names and tells me all about what we read months later. He is not easily distracted. He loves to build things with legos and in his sandbox.

his issue is with his brother. His brother is 2, will be 3 in sept, but he is big, 5lbs less then rhys and almost as tall. rhys will push him down, hit him, I dont mean smack the crap out of him but walk past him and knock him down, smack his arm when he walks by etc. I don't know if this is sibling rivalry or a discipline issue. I treat it as a discipline issue and use time out which really is not working. Is this a normal ADHD sign?

Besides the things he does with his brother he has recently "past month" been not listening , for example I will hear him in the fridge and ask what he is doing and he will ignore me. He will climb over the back of the couch, chair and I tell him over and over and over not to do it, but he still does.. again this could be all the things going on lately and my LACK of discipline due to my MS.

I need to get a handle on these things, but need to know if this is a start of ADHD or just discipline??

What are your thoughts? I feel really overwhelmed and need to get a handle on it, but time out is just not working!
March 11th, 2010, 02:52 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
hey hun!! I know I posted to this thread on the mom's of boys board. I just wanted to check in and see what was going on.
(((hugs)))

May 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM
143SDM's Avatar Mom to 3 kiddos!
I have a son that is the same age (exactly even! 2-16-05) that has lots of the same issues. He also has an older brother with ADHD and ODD.... IDK if he is doing "learned" behavior from his brother, parenting/discipline issues, does have ADHD himself or if it's just him being a 5 year old. He has a twin sister who does not have alot of the issues. I am thinking about having him assessed by my older sons psychologost/psychiatrist.

I see that this was posted a couple months ago...what did you decide/find out?

Thank you so much to Mom2*Lauren*Jacob* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search