new here.....

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2010, 07:38 AM
kim79's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kim79 Send a message via Yahoo to kim79
hi! I'm "new" to this area but have been a member of JM for a while. I have an 11 year old son, Justin, who has been diagnosed with adhd, odd and an anger disorder. He's been seeing dr's (counselers, psychaitrists, psychologists) for a few years now but i haven't seen any results with any of them, dr's or meds. He recently was kicked out of his school for his anger outbursts and just being plain annoying. IMO, the teachers and school tolerated for it way to long and we were kind of expecting it. He is now in a transitional school for kids with these type of problems and his school time is definatlaly improving but not his home life. It seems like he wakes up JUST to bother people. It's almost as if he fets pleasure from it and once the whole house is in a screaming war he just sits there with this smug look on his face as if he accomplished something. He gets extreme pleasure out of torturing our 5 year old daughter. For example, he'll hold his fist in the air just inches away from her face, when me or my husband leave the room he'll whisper names in her direction and tell her she's fat, stupid, ugly ect, anything to make her cry. When he gets caught, he'll simply deny it EVEN though we heard or saw him doing something. We had to take the door off of her room because he locked her in one day and she was petrified to sleep or even play in her room. One of the other major issues we are having with him is he'll go to the bathroom in his pants . Not pee, always poop. It's never a huge amount but enough that he smells and will stink up whatever he's sitting on. It's always like he's just too lazy to wipe and just goes to the bathroom and just pulls up his pants when he's done. We have tried taking his games away, tv and recently i've been making him wash his own dirty underwear (I used to just throw them away but I thought maybe he was doing it because he "could" because he knew I would just throw them away anyhow, kwim?). Last week was the last straw when a toy fell under his dresser and dh reached under there to get it, he pulled out about 7 pairs of poopy underwear. So instead of throwing them away, I made him wash them out in a basin until they were clean enough to be able to go into the washing machine hoping that would teach him a lesson but it didnt. DH and i have been at each other throats and he gasically wants me to send him away (justin is my son from a previous relationship). I know he's right and that Justin may need more help that I can give him and i also have to think about my 2 young children but i could never live with myself if i sent him away and something terrible happened. He's been on so many different meds, and right now he's vyvanse, tenex and abilify.

Thanks for reading if you got this far....and if anyone has any similar experiences and found something that has helped please let me know. Right now, I am looking into vitamins and supplements that may help so if anyone has been trying those, i would love to hear your experiences! I've been searching the internet and found a few things i'm going to start trying. Last week I started giving his half a dose of melatonin (<1 gram) and it definately improved his sleeping. He used to give us such trouble at bedtime, screaming at the top of his lungs, thrashing around, bedtime was a nightmare for everyone in the house. Now with the melatonin, he just falls right asleep before he even has time to start a not-going-bed fight. I've also read that adding an omega 3 vitamin has also proved to have significant changes in adhd behavior. Since DS doesnt eat any type of seafood I'm considering adding this to his diet. It cant hurt, right? It has benifits that everyoner needs anyway so i figured why not? Actually, my whole household is going to start taking it. Also, I've read about 5HTP and how it can help with depression. I was diagnosed with clinical depression when i was about 13 and have been on and off meds for over 15 years, so I can spot signs in DS which lead me to beleive he also is depressed along with everything else he been diagnosed with. I'm gonna start him on a low dose of that and for myself as well. I also read that children with adhd have a zinc and magnesium deficiancy and i'm reading more into that as well. I would love to find a health combo of vitamins and minerals and of course a healthy diet and get him off of these meds that seem to just make things worse. Also, my insurance doesnt cover the price and we're spending over 1,000 a month in meds! Thats almost the price of our mortgage

Wow, this turned into a novel, lol. Sorry it was so long, i tend to get carried away, haha. But thanks for reading and any suggestions/input (positive and negative, I can take it ) is greatly appreciated.

May 3rd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Be careful with supplements when he's already on meds (verify with a pharmasist that it's okay...some can have adverse effects). The few things that I have learned is that sleep is the most important, I always know my dd is going to have a bad day if she doesn't sleep well (not long enough, or wakes up through night) she needs at least 10 hours. When we mainly solved her sleeping issues it cut down about 50% of her issues (both aggression and inattention). The one medication that I am a huge supporter of (by seeing such improvement in my own child and in many of the children I've seen) is risperdal.
It often takes many different changes in medications to find the right ones, and you can also check into having him re-evaluated (perhaps he's been missdiagnosed, I know someone whos daughter was diagnosed as adhd/ocd? and it turned out she had aspergers.
When it comes to the cost of meds there are programs that drs can apply for to help cover the costs of some medications, most of the time you have to ask.
May 3rd, 2010, 11:22 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
I agree, even with natural supplements, you still need to be careful. as for the cost, see if there is something else they can try. I know my DR's are very good about prescribing something cost friendly.

May 17th, 2010, 06:52 PM
cindymat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well the pooping is the part that stood out most to me. Has he had any issues w/constipation? I know its hard to really know at that age, but I found out my son had encopresis at 6. He'd just start having more-than-skidmarks in his pants...then it got more and more so it'd soak thru his pants. Turns out he was so constipated from not fully emptying his bowels that they were stretched to the point that he could no longer feel the urge to go to the bathroom and was having "leakage".
The fact that your son is hiding his underwear seems to indicate that he's ashamed? Just a thought.....

May 18th, 2010, 12:09 AM
143SDM's Avatar Mom to 3 kiddos!
OH, I am SO glad you posted here! My 8 yo has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, depression, and anxiety. I can relate to almost everything you said. My son is on Vyvanse and Clonidine. And yes, he is on melatonin also. He gets 6mg of it though. And I have been thinking of starting Omega 3 also.
He too is so nit picky with his younger brother and sister and likes to get fights going. I am to the point of thinking about sending him away also where he can be helped the way he needs to be (ok, I am bawling now.... ). When he puts his 5 yo siblings (twins) health at risk...its just too much. He had his brother in the ER two weeks ago with a 3rd concussion. I have had to hide knives and scissors and anything else sharp. He is constantly screaming how he is gonna kill us. He is 3 times the size of his siblings, and I have caught him jumping on them. Rushed my DD to the ER in fear of internal bleeding...112 pounds jumping on her 35 pounds!!!!! She was ok tho. I am a single mother of these 3 kids and I cannot do it anymore. It is SOOOO hard. Esp with the younger two picking up on his behavior and fighting back to him. I just...agh
I also suffer from depression and it just keeps getting worse as my home situation gets worse. I feel like such a horrible mother wanting to "send him away" cause I do love him to death. But I....I don't know. Sorry that this wound up turning into a rant of my own....guess I needed someone to talk to as nobody around me fully understands what I am going through. Ok, I gotta get off here before I can't see anymore....

Thank you so much to Mom2*Lauren*Jacob* for my beautiful siggy

May 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM
kim79's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kim79 Send a message via Yahoo to kim79
Quote:
Originally Posted by 143SDM View Post
OH, I am SO glad you posted here! My 8 yo has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, depression, and anxiety. I can relate to almost everything you said. My son is on Vyvanse and Clonidine. And yes, he is on melatonin also. He gets 6mg of it though. And I have been thinking of starting Omega 3 also.
He too is so nit picky with his younger brother and sister and likes to get fights going. I am to the point of thinking about sending him away also where he can be helped the way he needs to be (ok, I am bawling now.... ). When he puts his 5 yo siblings (twins) health at risk...its just too much. He had his brother in the ER two weeks ago with a 3rd concussion. I have had to hide knives and scissors and anything else sharp. He is constantly screaming how he is gonna kill us. He is 3 times the size of his siblings, and I have caught him jumping on them. Rushed my DD to the ER in fear of internal bleeding...112 pounds jumping on her 35 pounds!!!!! She was ok tho. I am a single mother of these 3 kids and I cannot do it anymore. It is SOOOO hard. Esp with the younger two picking up on his behavior and fighting back to him. I just...agh
I also suffer from depression and it just keeps getting worse as my home situation gets worse. I feel like such a horrible mother wanting to "send him away" cause I do love him to death. But I....I don't know. Sorry that this wound up turning into a rant of my own....guess I needed someone to talk to as nobody around me fully understands what I am going through. Ok, I gotta get off here before I can't see anymore....
wow, i completely understand how you are feeling ....i also suffer from depression and anxiety. we went to see his dr a couple weeks ago and i said his meds arent working and he basically told me that the meds he's on are at a high enough dosage and i have to put him in some sort of therapy. Well, the therapy is not covered by insurance and how the heck am i supposed to get him to go?! I can hardly get him in the car to go to the dr. every other month and it always turns into a HUGE battle..... i have been researching vitamins for a while and i finally made the decision to take him off his meds (yikes) and start him on a vitamin regime. I have him on omega 3-6-9, 5 htp and a small dose of melatonin @ night....and let me tell you, i have seen great improvements over the past few weeks....no more dirty underwear, school is improving. He still bothers the younger kids every once in a while but definatly not as violent as he has been in the past. They have some excellent adhd websites/forums that have alot of usefull advice and researches.
I'm still going to try and get him into a counseling program because vitamins aren't going to solve everything and i know he's still got some issues deep inside he's dealing with.

July 9th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hey ladies I am new hear as well my son is 5 and has diagnosed adhd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search