Has your child taken concerta?

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2010, 03:04 PM
morebluethanpink
Would you mind telling me about how concerta worked for your child? What dose, any side effects, if you liked it etc? My son has been prescribed this for his ADHD and we haven't started it yet but im curious how it did for others?
May 5th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My ds takes it. He's 9 and he's been on it since he was 7. He started out on 27 mg and is currently at 54 mg. He hasn't any side effects at all. Before that he was on Adderall and it made him weepy and moody all the time.

May 5th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My dd isn't (not covered by our insurance....I wanted to try it) I do know of a few kids on it and it's work wonders for them. If it's the right medication it will work great, if it's not you'll try another one. We've already switched 4 times since december.
May 9th, 2010, 12:11 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
Tyler was on it way back when we were trying to find the right med for him, it didn't work for him, but again that was 6 years ago.
I know lots of people who it works GREAT for.

May 19th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Two of my son's are on Concerta (different dosages), both ages 9 & 12. They both experienced weight loss b/c you aren't as hungry on this medication. I noticed my son to be immediately calm, the medicine works fast. I like it, but it's not for every child.

May 26th, 2010, 05:14 AM
mykasmom's Avatar Super Mommy
My son takes this right now, he started on 18mg and is now at 27mg.

We have tried Focalin XR, Straterra, Vyvvance, Intuniv, and now Concerta.

It does seem to help him at school, but he still has some focus issues. The Dr. thinks he may have more anxiety than ADD and so we are still doing the trial and error thing with meds.

With my son, he is already emotional, and some of the stimulants like Focalin and Concerta can make him more emotional and anxious. Focalin did this a lot more so than the Concerta. On the Concerta right now he has his moments in the afternoon where he may be a little anxious but it's not too bad.

One side effect these stimulant meds do have is decreased appetite, so try to let your child eat healthy snacks often - whole milks, yogurts, cheeses, etc. My son has actually lost a half pound, and Dr is thinking of taking him off of it for the summer.

Another side effect my son has, is occasionally in the afternoon he'll get a headache or even an upset stomach to where he throws up - I've noticed this happening on days that he doesn't eat lunch at school.

Also, some kids, my son included, have trouble going to sleep at night on these, and our Dr suggested 1-3mg of Melatonin at bedtime and it works wonderfully. But first see if this is even an issue with your son, and then check with your doc - some kids don't have these effects, and others grow out of them.

Overall I have heard lots of great things about Concerta, and it is working fairly well for us but my son's Dr is considering removing the ADD diagnosis and keeping the Anxiety one, and adding Autism Spectrum of the Asperger's Type. So our situation gets a bit complicated when trying to find a med.

You may find it takes trying a few before you find one that works best for your son - and that's ok too!

Good luck - I know it is hard taking that step the first time. My suggestion is start it on a day where you will be home with him - like the weekend, and you can watch and see how he does. Take notes about things you see.

The good side with these meds is they work quickly - you'll notice a difference the first day and the first several days - and then they also don't stay in your system. They are out at the end of the day.

Good luck!

Last edited by mykasmom; May 26th, 2010 at 05:16 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search