My intro :)

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
Hi everyone

So happy that this board made it up! It will be great having others to talk to about some of the problems that we might share......

My son will be 9 years old in August; I also have a baby due next month.
I knew before conception that there was a large history of ADD/ADHD on my ex's side of the family. The ex and his siblings were all on Ritalin throughout their lives; his brother was 9 when I met him and he was an absolute terror....
So basically when Alex hit around 2 years old, I started to see some of the "signs" of ADD, although I denied it for years....
It wasn't until kindergarten that I finally had enough and had to find some way to deal with it..... Alex began school in French Immersion (meaning that his entire class was done in French and not English).....He was figity, would call out, and just not pay any attention to anyone; basically he was learning nothing....
At this point, he was still seeing my ex occasionally. I noticed a lot of things after those visits...........
After an unfortunate and evil situation that occured on New Year's Eve, Alex no longer saw my ex and to this day he has no contact with him.

By the end of grade 1, he was not reading French (or English) and could only spell small words; not at all what he should have been able to do at all..He was a real ace at math though.......
I took him to a pediatrician a couple of times and we discussed some things (and eventually brought his teachers involved as well)..... I refused to put him on medication and wanted to find some other ways but I was becoming very stressed out about the relationship we had; I was often angry with him and I didn't like it at all.
I eventually gave in to the pediatrician and we tried him on different kinds/doses of medication including long and short-acting Dexedrine (at that point, I REFUSED to have anythign to do with Ritalin because of what I saw of my ex's family).

For grade 2, I pulled him out of the French Immersion system and placed him in regular English schooling. So when he began, he still could not read or spell ANYTHING in English (maybe a few words-cat, hat, dog- that sorta thing)..........
By the time the kids returned to school after their Christmas Break that year, Alex was up a grade level in reading and spelling and was more attentitive in class.
By the end of the year, he caught up 2 grade levels and was right on target with the rest of his class; it was a BIG accomplishment for him....

(I have to say now that in grade 1 and 2, Alex's teachers were wonderful and did ALOT to help him; I am so grateful for them for helping him have a better start. We visit his former French Immersion teacher once or twice a year...)

So now he is in a grade 3/4 split class (he is in grade 3) and this scared the crap out of me at the beginning of the year. I fought it as hard as I could because I felt that he was not ready to be classmates with grade 4s. I figured it would be too much of a challange for him but he has proved in the last 8 months that he can handle it........... Both of his report cards this year show improvements from last year, as well as from first term to second term.
He finally reads small novels and so forth

So, now schooling is not the issue anymore...... Oh, I should mention here that he is still on medication daily. He takes a 20 mg dose of long-acting Ritalin each morning, topped up with a 5mg pill..... He finally decided to start growing this year after 3 years of not growing well and the dose recently needed to be adjusted.......

The problems I have with him now are constantly in the morning and in the evenings. Basically his listening has gone down hill and his respect for myself and his elders has deteriorated. I am not sure if it is his age but he just doesn't seem to care and we have tried EVERYTHING to get him to understand what he is doing wrong.
I have been constantly taking away the computer, the tv, video game system, and basically everything he enjoys.......
It can start by something as simple as my asking him to clean his room.... 2.5 weeks ago, I went in to this room after he refused and I told him I was going to bring a garbage bag in and remove everything.... I threw out 2 garbage bags full of stuff; he did not care. I stopped myself before I regretted it.
I have been talking to a counsellor at his school about it and she has been trying to give me ideas.. The problem though is that they have NO PROBLEMS at school with him...
Its all at home.......

Well anyway, this is too long of a post so Im going to cut it here.
May 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
brittbratt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to brittbratt Send a message via Yahoo to brittbratt
I was just wondering about the ritalin and him not growing? I have heard that ritalin does that and it worries me because my son was recently put on ritalin. He is tiny anyway. Does this happen to all children?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search