Homeschooling with ADHD: Need advice! (X-posted)

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2010, 07:19 AM
beginswithb's Avatar Veteran
Hi, all!

I am new around here. I have a beautiful 6 year old DD named Karuna. She was born at 25 weeks and has some issues that prevented her from going to kindergarten in the public school here. She went to preschool in a Catholic school and did very well but her kdg class just wasn't for her. We decided to homeschool her with an online academy. We struggled the entire year. After finally getting a neuropsych evaluation, she was diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety, and visual-motor integration delays.

Initially, we had planned on re-enrolling her in kdg at the Catholic school she previously attended. Now, as we look at our finances and the ridiculous tuition, we're thinking we may not be able to afford it. The Catholic school was appealing because the class size/student-teacher ratio is smaller. Their classes have about 15-18 kids in it. The public school has 25-30 and gave Karuna way too many attention issues when she attended (for the few weeks that she did attend).

Anyhow, one of our options is to go back to homeschooling. Karuna is a very social child, despite the anxiety, and I am worried about that aspect of homeschooling. I will look into playgroups but she definitely thrives with other children around. I'm also hesitant to do this again because of her ADHD. It made things very difficult and frustrating for us this past year. For those out there with experience, how have you dealt with this?

I guess my main question would be if you homeschooling veterans have any advice/thoughts/suggestions. I love spending time with Karuna and watching her learn but I don't want this to hinder her in any way. She is very intelligent but the ADHD makes it difficult to test/measure it and I don't want her to get lost in the crowd, ya know?

Thanks in advance!

July 29th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to dmkatwaroott
My son also has ADHD but he is gifted. I am trying him out in a charter school this year.The class size is capped at 18, so the class size is smaller. I have homeschooled my son for the past few years.

I have a behavior chart for each subject of the day. At her age, she should be able to complete all her work in 1 or 2 hours if focused. I was a teacher before, so I am able to use the techniques on my son. I would take frequent breaks, so he would stay focused. I would do half in the morning, then he would nap before do the rest of the work in the afternoon.

August 7th, 2010, 04:50 AM
peimum's Avatar life blows sometimes.
Send a message via MSN to peimum Send a message via Skype™ to peimum
I have never done home school as my oldest (minus my step son) is 4 1/2. But, I am a teacher by trade, so I can sort of see where you are coming from. I taught for three years at a Christian school, where we caped at 18 in a class. My first year teaching there, I only had 7 in my class, there were the 7 with special needs! All of them had ADHD, and all but one had at least one more special need. ADHD children can be very confusing. One day, they seem to enjoy school and learning, then the next day they just want to sit in a corner alone all day. The challenge is finding the balance. There is defiantly an advantage to having them in a school setting, because they get the social time, and a sense of independence. On the other hand, homeschooling, they get the one of one attention that they really do need. So, it is a hard choice.

My 4 1/2 year old did Pre-K last year, and excelled! Her teacher could not get over how well she did, seeing as how she was not old enough for Pre-k at the time. Working with her at home, she seemed to get agitated very easily and would scribble her way through things, but the work she did in class was amazing! I think a big part of it is also the teacher she has, and if they are educated on the special needs.

Anyway, good luck on this tough choice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search