Can I get some advice please?

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2010, 03:59 PM
ilovemy3wikids
Hi

I'm Tami and I have 3 kiddos. I'm new to this board on JM but would like to hear from everyone if they think my son could have add or adhd. My son Logan is almost 5, still has at least 1 potty accident a week - just cause he isn't willing to take the time to go, has extreame tantrums, doesn't listen alot, won't sleep through the night most nights and is very hyper. We give him positive attention and time outs/take things away when he doesn't listen. Nothing really affects him and he seems to be in his own world alot. He is very smart and can be so sweet and funny ... I don't want to label him with this if he's just being like a normal almost 5 year old boy - but I also don't know what to do anymore! I just don't understand his extreame behavior! Logan will throw fits over EVERYTHING!! If Hailey( older sister) goes outside before him, meltdown. If his shoe comes untied, meltdown. If his food touches on his plate, meltdown!! I've tried talking to his doc about it and she just kinda ignores it. When we are in the office he's as sweet and shy as can be of course! I've tried telling her that it can be as bad as me taking his hand to walk across the parking lot and him having a complete meltdown because he wanted dad to intead ( which he doesn't bring up till we are already across the lot). It's so frusterating because it's very hard to deal with all day and night. I love him and don't want him dragged down on meds but I also know things can't keep going like this! ...I was hoping he would outgrow it but the older he gets the worse he's getting. I don't want it to get worse. His doc doesn't like to diagnose add/adhd early cause she feels too many kids are diagnosed with it that are just acting their age. We homeschool and are doing pre-school this year. He does ok with that most days. He really does good with structured activities and one on one attention. Problem with that is I have 2 other kiddos that need me too! I try to keep a routine here for him but we have alot of days where if I'm not giving him 1 on 1 constantly he will get out of control!

Sorry for the long post, but this is starting to affect the whole family
September 20th, 2010, 02:02 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Honestly I think your best bet would be to get in and see a different doctor if yours isn't listening to you. It's possible that he does have ADHD. I think I'd be asking for a referral to someone who is certified to do the appropriate testing and come up with a good dx or plan for you to deal with his behavior.
September 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymamahr01 View Post
Hi

I'm Tami and I have 3 kiddos. I'm new to this board on JM but would like to hear from everyone if they think my son could have add or adhd. My son Logan is almost 5, still has at least 1 potty accident a week - just cause he isn't willing to take the time to go, has extreame tantrums, doesn't listen alot, won't sleep through the night most nights and is very hyper. We give him positive attention and time outs/take things away when he doesn't listen. Nothing really affects him and he seems to be in his own world alot. He is very smart and can be so sweet and funny ... I don't want to label him with this if he's just being like a normal almost 5 year old boy - but I also don't know what to do anymore! I just don't understand his extreame behavior! Logan will throw fits over EVERYTHING!! If Hailey( older sister) goes outside before him, meltdown. If his shoe comes untied, meltdown. If his food touches on his plate, meltdown!! I've tried talking to his doc about it and she just kinda ignores it. When we are in the office he's as sweet and shy as can be of course! I've tried telling her that it can be as bad as me taking his hand to walk across the parking lot and him having a complete meltdown because he wanted dad to intead ( which he doesn't bring up till we are already across the lot). It's so frusterating because it's very hard to deal with all day and night. I love him and don't want him dragged down on meds but I also know things can't keep going like this! ...I was hoping he would outgrow it but the older he gets the worse he's getting. I don't want it to get worse. His doc doesn't like to diagnose add/adhd early cause she feels too many kids are diagnosed with it that are just acting their age. We homeschool and are doing pre-school this year. He does ok with that most days. He really does good with structured activities and one on one attention. Problem with that is I have 2 other kiddos that need me too! I try to keep a routine here for him but we have alot of days where if I'm not giving him 1 on 1 constantly he will get out of control!

Sorry for the long post, but this is starting to affect the whole family
These phrases that I bolded really stood out to me....there are so many different types of issues that could be going on. My suggestion to you is to start writing all of your observations down, when you first started noticing things, how often each type of behaviour happens, and if possible have others who have contact with your child to do the same. It's always better to go into a doctors office with things written down. Next I would suggest that you get a referral to a psychiatrist. They are the ones who have the most knowledge when it comes to the many different types of issues that can cause these behaviours.
October 5th, 2010, 09:34 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
I agree with the other ladies, see if you can get a referral to someone who can actually test him and evaluate him.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search