Pedi thinks my 3 year old does have ADHD..... Help please

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay I talked in length with the pedi about my dd. She is 3 about to be 4 next week. He feels that she DOES have ADHD but he would like to wait until she is 5 to test her and diagnose her. I can understand that BUT, in the meantime what do I do? My household is utter CHAOS as long as she's here. If she's at grandma's my house runs smoothly and quietly.

She starts out at 7 am bouncing off the walls. She wants milk, she wants cereal, she cold she wants a blanket, she wants to watch tv, she wants to play a game- All these thoughts in the course of 10 minutes or less. She remains like that all day long. Instead of talking in a normal tone she HOLLERS which is constantly disturbing the baby.

She can't even sit still long enough to finish a meal. If you try to take her to town your in for even more fun b/c she can't be still. She's constantly jumping up and down and running circles around the buggy.

My 10 year old was diagnosed with ADHD at age 6. We knew at age 4 that he had it but he was never, EVER this bad. I can't even get 30 uninterrupted minutes a day to exercise b/c she's not calm that long She also sleeps poorly and often times is wide awake and hyper at 4 am.

Any tips or advice on how to manage her for now? Some days by the time my dh gets home from work I'm ready to leave for a while and leave him with the kids- I'm a stay at home mom.

I'm so miserable right now just from dealing with DD I know that's wrong and I feel awful about it b/c I really do love her but she's such a handful.

The pedi did recommend 2 books and I got them but haven't had a chance to read them. The titles are 123 Magic and SOS help for parents.

October 4th, 2010, 09:15 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I'd start with getting her on a strict schedule (we had to do this with DS1 and still do...). I mean like at 8a she gets her juice and cereal, etc. Second, does she like to sit and watch anything on TV? If she does, tell her that she's sitting for 30 minutes and watching that if you need a break. She's at an age where she should understand inside/outside voices and that needs to be instated I think. If she hollers inside, she goes to time out. As for her sleeping, get some melatonin from the health food store, I think GNC carries the chewables too. Give her 3mg to start about an hour before bed time. You will just have to muck with how much to give her to figure out what can calm her enough at night to get her to sleep....

How do you discipline her if she's naughty? Just asking for reference, not to judge. We used to do spankings with DS1. After we found out that he's ADHD we started with the naughty chair and he went to time out. If he got up, time out started over again... He QUICKLY learned!

I hope some of this helps.
October 4th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well 1-2-3 magic is a wonderful book (there is also a video and it is excellant). Yes your doctor is right consistancy and consistant discipline will help some, but it won't make a hyper child calm...lol...it just helps with the discipline aspect.

My dd was diagnosed at 4yrs and we went with meds. One of the biggest issues had been sleep, she woke up all the time, couldn't get back to sleep, never napped etc. Once we started on something to help her sleep I found things a lot easier. The reason I'm telling you this is that a woman that I know used a homeopathic sleeping aid for her son and had success with it (I tried it before being diagnosed and it didn't help....but even the meds don't always work consistantly we are constantly adjusting the dose) It's manufactured by Hyland's (called Calms Forte 4 Kids) on the bottle it says that it relieves restlesness, sleeplessness, night terrors, growing pains, etc. These types of products are all natural and perhaps worth a try.
October 4th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies! I normally send her to her room when she's bad but then all her toys are in there.

I started the 123 Magic book this morning and it sounds really good! I think for time out though it needs to be in the dining room or den where there are no toys right? I'm hoping to finish it over the next few days. I really need some relief!

October 5th, 2010, 09:12 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
Good luck! I know how frustrating it can be, my son struggled and wasn't dianosed until he was 5. All the other ladies had great advice, good luck and KUP!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search