Really need some support :(

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
ilovemy3wikids
My son Logan had his 5 year check today...He got 4 shots, 2 per leg. Just usual stuff that was due then they did a finger poke for a lead test. He passed the hearing test with flying colors. He failled the vision test. Poor guy couldn't make it 3 rows down He passed all his must do stuff like jumping, knowing shapes, he even wrote his name!! So he's all good with that Bad news, She tallied the quiz thing we took and he rates for ADHD 100%. She said he wasn't boarder line he was a definite 100% I guess her daughter has it too. He even was being his "usual" self and she got a taste of what we go through. She is starting him on meds but a very very low dose and we are taking it slow so we can try to find the lowest dose that will be effective. He is starting on 10 mg medadate. I was crying at the doc, all I could think is it's all my fault somehow Could really use any advice from others who's kids have had to be on meds for adhd. He's been the "wild child" for a long time now but I kept hoping he'd just "ougrow" it.
December 31st, 2010, 10:19 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Sorry this reply is so late. Don't blame yourself. My DS is ADHD. He was a complete wild child and just never ever sat still. He would move from one thing to the other and then he wouldn't pay attention at all! I mean, it was horrible!

When he was dx, we started him on the lowest dose of Adderall. It worked like a charm! Remember that you may need to try different dosages or even different meds to find that right combination that works for your DS. We're now on Concerta at 27mg and it's working well. I know we're not going to be on this forever and that we'll eventually have to up the dosage again or even change the med but for now it's good.

I hope that getting your DS on meds will help you out!
January 3rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Super Mommy
I was born with ADHD, so I totally know how it is. My mother deciding to put me on medication was probably one of the BEST things she's ever done for me. I'm a completely different (and better) person because of it.
I suspect my DD has ADHD, if it turns out she has it, I won't have any regrets putting her on medication. I've benefited from it first hand, so I know how it can benefit someone who needs it.
The way I see it, if a kid needs glasses or a hearing aid to improve their quality of life, you would get them for your child, right? Same thing for ADHD.

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
January 4th, 2011, 09:46 AM
SuperMoM
Send a message via Yahoo to Motherof3
Don't be upset about it. My DD has ADHD and ADD. They put her on Adderall and she is doing so much better. I was so against putting her on any medication and it was driving me nuts on should i do it or shouldn't i. She was in 2nd grade and mad almost all F's all year long and it was breaking my heart. So i decided to get her evaluated and try the medications. She is in 3rd grade now and she is making almost all A's and B's. So i think that in some cases it is totally worth putting them on the medication. I think that im going to take her off of it durring the summer while she is not at school. The only side effect she has from her meds is the insomnia. Other than that her appetite is fine and everything else is fine. I hope that this makes you feel better about your decision and i hope that everthing goes fine for you LO

January 12th, 2011, 06:36 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
(((hugs))) don't blame yourself hun, ( I know easier said than done) I still blame myself for my kids having it.
You did the right thing by getting it taken care of tho.

January 29th, 2011, 07:06 PM
That is a usually feeling because I feeling the same way as you when I got the news about Lucy and her child psychiatrist told me it was not my fault and that was a normal feeling! Lucy has been struggling for years in school. Last year we found out her eye sight was really bad and she never told us. But I think she was like that for a long time and she really never picked up enough in classes and she was just passing with one grade point from failing. So this year we got her checked and she has ADHD and now on the Strattera and I hope this turns things around for her!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search