hey ladies new to the board

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2011, 01:59 PM
proud-lilmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hey ladies i'm tiff, my son just turned 4 in dec, he started headstart and they comfirmed what i had believed for a while that he needs tested for adhd. xavier has always been a active kid, he can sit for hours if its something he likes, where haveing a hard time getting him to sit long enough for him to learn writing and all the stuff he needs to do. when he goes to school they do circle time and there are days where he can sit there and listen to the storys and then there areother days that he wants up to do something else half way threw the story.

my question for you ladies is How do they test him?? and at what age would they want to do meds if he would need it i wanna get it figured out as soon as possible that when when he goes to kindergarden hes not behind or labled a BAD kid.

thanks Katarina for my wonderful siggie
January 11th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Super Mommy
Hi! My son was diagnosed in kindergarten. I went to a psychologist who took a history and gave my son a computer test. It tests how well the child follows directions and is fast-paced. It cannot diagnose, though. It can only confirm a diagnosis of ADHD. The main way it is diagnosed is through forms the parent and teacher fills out. There are many areas that you will rate. It is very important that it is completed truthfully, without exaggeration. There is a way to score the forms, which will still just indicate if it is ADHD. Again, it is not perfect as there is not a blood test.

My son did go to counseling for awhile and takes medication daily. He is doing so well! ADHD doesn't have to be a terrible diagnosis. I was like you, and wanted my son to get the help he needed. He is no longer viewed as the "bad kid." And, he just tested into gifted/talented! He could have never done that before with his attention all over the place.

If you have questions, just let me know! I'm not always on this board, but will gladly talk with you via pm.
January 12th, 2011, 06:19 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
Tyler was diagnosed in kindergarden so age 5 and Austin was dx'd when he was 7. I was lucky enough to have Austin dx'd from his regular DR that I work for. Tyler was dx'd through a psycologist.
I think typically the age they do testing is 5.

January 12th, 2011, 06:56 AM
ok thanks ladys this has really helped me out.

another thing that his teacher told me was that study's have shown that kids with adhd and add alot have bipolar too is this true ???

January 12th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Super Mommy
No, ADHD and bipolar are not exactly related. A lot of kids are being diagnosed with bipolar, but the DSM does not list that as a childhood diagnosis. ADHD and bipolar *can* coexist, but it doesn't make it common, either.
January 13th, 2011, 07:01 AM
ok thank you i'm trying to get as much info as i can

January 13th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Super Mommy
I don't blame you one bit. I did a lot of research about ADHD, too. In one of my google searches, bipolar came up. I did more research and talked with my son's psychologist about it. While I'm sure there are some kids who are truly bipolar, it is not common at all. The one thing that really sticks out to me is that the few children who are bipolar are also hypersexual. There is some overlap in characteristics, but some (like the hypersexuality) stick out as just bipolar.
January 14th, 2011, 06:09 AM
thank you i've been doing alot of research on it i wanna know all of the tricks to try and what foods ect. so i've been doing changes around here n im hoping it helps me out

January 14th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Super Mommy
My son's psychologist mentioned using 1-2-3 Magic for behavior. It is a book and the method works wonderfully if you are consistent with it. It teaches you how to stop bad behaviors and start good ones. I've mostly used it with the stop behaviors and it works 99% of the time. Every now and then, he needs a reminder.

Food does not affect ADHD. No scientific peer-reviewed research studies indicate a certain diet is beneficial. Some things can mimic ADHD, so if a diet does help, it wasn't ADHD to start with. The only things are helpful are behavioral modification and meds. The severity and subtype of ADHD can help indicate if meds will be helpful.

Just as a side note, kids do not "outgrow" ADHD, either. They may learn coping mechanisms, but it does not just go away.
January 29th, 2011, 06:56 PM
All this info has helped me get a little more understanding too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search