Guess we're going to be trying something new...

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2011, 10:43 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Again! Robbie's been on Adderall XR and Concerta.

Adderall suppresses his appetite, gives him insomnia, he withdraws from everyone and everything and he's just an all around crabby kid when normally he's not.

Concerta, well this one has started to make him agitated with everyone and everything. He's just been cranky and hasn't been paying attention in school or at home like he should. I mean some days it's like the concerta isn't even in his system and I know darn well that he's had it.

We're starting with a new doc closer to home who I really like so we'll see what he prescribes but I think we're going to try medadate.

Is there anyone who's been on or had a kiddo on adderall, concerta then medadate? Anyone with experience with medadate? I'm grasping for straws really. I would just like my happy child back that wants to cuddle and be loved not be away from all of us.
February 9th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Super Mommy
It is so frustrating, but once you find the right meds/dose, it will be much easier. My DS took all of those at one point. Adderall made him crazy, so he wasn't on it for very long at all. Medadate didn't seem to help him at all, but it could have just been the dose wasn't high enough. The Concerta didn't seem to help much (low dose), but he lost too much weight with it. Currently, he takes Focalin XR 20 mg. While his days aren't perfect, he is much more calm and himself on it. His weight is pretty stable, and he sleeps great at night. It took us about a year of trial and error to find our solution. Hopefully, yours is much quicker.
February 9th, 2011, 01:59 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Robbie was on Adderall for almost 12 months (10mg and 20mg). We've had him on Concerta since October, we've had him on 18mg and 27mg. The 27mg isn't doing it's job. We just need to find something that is going to work, I know it's going to take a while or can take a while to find the right combo but man... Somedays I feel like ripping my hair out.
February 11th, 2011, 05:18 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
(((hugs)))) I Know it's frustrating finding the "right" pill. It took Tyler about 4-5 until we found the right one.

May 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM
sharita's Avatar Veteran
Josh was put on focalin in kindergarten. Hes in 3rd now. He wasn't sleeping and became less effective so he got moved to concerta. Hed started on 27 mg, then went to 36. EAch time he went up, he would lose so much weight. He is skinny and tall as it is but when his shoulder blades and spine and hip bones would poke out, I would worry. He would soon adjust though and then be eating me out of house and home again.

However, recently, the 36 mg concerta quit helping. His A and B grades dropped to C and D and he couldn't focus to read his books and such. His Dr was reluctant to up his meds as the next dose was 54 and he said he has teens that aren't even up that high. I was desperate so we gave it a try. It was weird though how we didn't even have an adjustment period this time. His appetite never waivered, no zombie for a few days, etc. Only a mild improvement in focusing ability. I guess our next step would be try something new.

We tried non stimulant stuff like clonidine, intunive, and they were horrible for him. He slept all day and was like a zombie.

Not sure what would be next. The days he misses his dose because he stayed the night with a friend and they forgot to give it to him or something he is a hyper emotional wreck. However, I am noticing he isnt much better now on it. Im at a loss.

Student midwife and Homebirthing mama to the brady bunch! (3 boys, 3 girls)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search