5 yr old Foster Daughter has ADHD....I need advice on how to deal with her!!

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hello moms!
I am wondering if anybody out there with young adhd children could give me any advice whatsoever??!!
My 5 yr old foster daughter has adhd. When she is on her meds she is more calm but I still deal with defiant behavior. How do I get her to listen....?? Even small things like 'make your bed' (things I know she can do and easy to do' if she doesn't want to she will whine and complain and stomp her foot and say NO....I CANT or I DON"T WANT TO......I DON"T HAVE TO.
I try to pick my battles but how to do I deal with defiant behavior period?
Any ideas??
May 23rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
how long has she ben on the meds? it may be something as simple as switching her meds, she may also have ODD which a lot of the times goes hand in hand with ADHD, my 9 year old is ODD and there are times he is just so out of control.

June 27th, 2011, 11:33 AM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyboysandabbey2 View Post
how long has she ben on the meds? it may be something as simple as switching her meds, she may also have ODD which a lot of the times goes hand in hand with ADHD, my 9 year old is ODD and there are times he is just so out of control.
do you mean OCD? And if not, what is ODD?

My only advice is to be as consistent as possible with her routines, and discipline.. dont let her get away with something by arguing even once, because then it will be 100X worse after that when you want her to do something.. consistency and routine are seriously key with children like this. Thats the best I can offer.. just be patient, and reward her for good behaviors.

nevermind I just googled ODD.. wow.. I never knew there was a name for such behavior.. I am going to ask our doctor about it tomorrow at my son's med check!
July 12th, 2011, 01:47 PM
My son is just going on 5 today actually and has been on medication since he was 4.5 with constant increases and changes. It has been on long road but once you find the right meds it does get better. With my son I won't argue any more, he does it or time out sitting on his bed for 5 minutes. He will cry and scream and I do have to stand there and make him stay in the room but he will not challenge me as much now. At this age they are also testing their boundries to see how far they can push us as parents, add in ADHD + ODD and you're looking at one heck of a battle. Be consistent and follow through on anything you say or she will learn to push harder.
August 19th, 2011, 02:26 PM
My 5 years old son has ADHD. I could tell by the time he was 2 or 3 but for financial reasons couldnt put him on meds until this last year. He has been on them for around 5 months & I still have difficulties sometimes with him. As the dr explained, the meds arent a miracle drug & they arent meant to sedate him, so along with trying new tactics it should help him to eventually control his actions & impulse issues. The best thing that works for me is to just keep him busy. His mind is going much faster then mine and his body follows suite, so giving him small chores and duties not only keeps him busy and out of my hair but it makes him feel good and important. I have noticed that when I show my annoyance or frustration with him, he tends to be very quiet but act out more in daycare.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search