Toddler with ADHD!?

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok ladies, I need help. I'm at my witt's end..

I have made an appointment for my 2 1/2 year old son, but until then I need some help. My son is everything a 2 year old should be, times 100. I have been around, lived with, and seen other kids his age on a daily basis and I've never seen one as bad as him. He is a sometimes loving child, but will randomly hit, get aggressive, etc. He is non-stop, and I do mean that. He won't even sit still to watch Thomas for more than 2 minutes, and that's not an exaggeration.. and he loves Thomas! He is constantly throwing food, spitting food, hitting, touching the stove even though he's been told 1 million times it's hot, and after time out, he runs back for more of anything to get into trouble. I am consistant with discipline, and I can't do this alone much more.

My mother is a pharmacist, has 7 kids, and 9 grandkids. She even says she KNOWS it's ADHD, and a bad case as well.

My questions are:

Will I even find a doctor who will take me serious? I know this isn't normal 2 year old behavior, and It's getting to the point where my son is in time out most of the day, and neither of us can live a happy life. He needs some form of treatment.

How do you cope with it? Do meds help your child with ADHD? How long until you noticed a difference after starting any meds? And last, but definitely not least-- is there anyone else out there who noticed this behavior before the "normal" 5-6 year age range? Anyone go through this? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

-frustrated mother.

June 8th, 2011, 01:23 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
(((hugs))) I feel for you, I really do. I knew when Tyler was 2 that he was ADHD and your right, no DR will even listen until they are at least 5..it sucks, I dealt with it until finally in kindergarden the teacher was ready to throw him out and the DR finally listened to me.
Good luck hun, I know how frustrating it is

June 8th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Sorry you're going through that. Frederick doesn't hit anyone- but he hits himself too. He also doesn't follow through with simple tasks, is all over the place, does things he knows he's not supposed to, can't handle not being center of attention, and is like the enigizer (spelling) bunny- he keeps going and going.

He's 3 1/2 and we actually got him in at a place to be evaluated. Which I am thankful for. I didn't even go through his pediatrician. Luckily, my insurance will cover being tested.

I Hope you can get him tested..

June 15th, 2011, 01:38 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
You'll have to look into dr's who specialize in things like this- these doctors WILL look at your child. Although they might not prescribe meds, doctors will look at a child under 5. I had a kindergartner, 2 years ago who was prescribed medication at 3 by a doctor in our area because he was out of control. It all depends on your area, granted this mother had at least a 6-9 month wait to see this doctor. Good Luck, hope you can have him looked at. Also, maybe early intervention in your area might be able to help you.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ
June 15th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Looks like I wrote too soon. The last two days, Frederick has been hitting his friends and not listening big time at his school.

June 16th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
(((hugs))))

June 20th, 2011, 09:29 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Most docs won't take the symptoms seriously until the child's school is saying there is an issue as well. There are several reasons for that, but 3 main ones are: 1) It would be a scary society to live in if any parent who feels overwhelmed with their child could say a few things and get their child on an ADHD medication (It's not like the doc can order blood work - something objective - to diagnose the child with ADHD.) , 2) There are many drug addicts and/or drug sellers out there that are dying to get their hands on ADHD medications for use/street-selling, so docs want to hear a professional (school staff) saying there is an issue with the child and 3) A teacher is going to be more objective and can directly compare your son's behaviors with peers every day of the week for 7+ hours.

Since your son is hyperactive, I would suggest some type of physical activity as "punishment" versus a time out where he is expected to just sit still. (And then, of course, try talking to him about what he did wrong and what he could do differently next time after the physical activity.) Also, if you are not already, I'd try to put as much physical activity into his day as possible.
A morning and evening family walk.
2+ hours of pool and/or water sprinkler time in the backyard during summer days.
Family bike rides.
Going to the park - especially ones with ponds to walk around too.
Playing catch (always making him run for the dropped balls)
June 24th, 2011, 08:20 AM
how has he been?? any updates?

June 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks to everyone! He has gotten a little bit better at daycare, they say. However, outside of that, he's still the same.. and I'm seriously at my witts end.
I'm so ready to give up... I need someone to talk to big time, and I'm considering going to the doctor myself. This is just getting too hard.
His appointment is in 13 days, when they will run many tests, behavioural, etc.. it's with a behavioural psychologist.. they said with a child this young, they'll usually do "play therapy." Well, I just pray it works. I don't know what to do.. I've found myself in the worst depression I have ever faced-- and I just cry everyday.

July 1st, 2011, 09:30 PM
it wouldn't hurt for you to see someone hun, I have thought about that in the past also, or looking for a support group for parents with ADHD kids.
a lot of people just don't understand, they think it's just "normal hyper kid" stuff,when in reality, it's not, it's very hard to deal with.
Feel free to PM me if you need to talk, I know what you are going through.
(((hugs)))

July 20th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Veteran
My adopted son was medicated at 3 1/2 yrs old.. I was ready to take him back to youth protection and walk away I was having that much trouble.. our ped was good and started him on 5mg of adderall xr and now he is 7 1/2 and takes 15mg of adderall xr in the morning and during school he also gets 5mg at lunch to help with homework.. he hits, climbs. screams, he used to hurt himself all the time.. non stop movement.. I understand you totally.. pm me if you need..
July 23rd, 2011, 08:12 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How did your doctors evaluation go?

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

August 9th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Well, this whole process is going very slow.. but I suppose that's a good thing, as the results will probably be more accurate. We go on August 22nd to get the results from all the testing and stuff. They have the results now but we can't see the doctor until then. I'm so impatient and very nervous of what he will say.

What if he says my son is fine? Then where do I go? I know this is not normal..
What if he says my son has ADHD and confirms what we feel? Then where do we go?
What if he says my son has something else? Then what?

I'm ready to hear what's going on, but I'm not.

Things with my son are still rough. He is learning how to speak a little better, but the hyperactivity and impulsiveness is still as strong as ever. He's almost 3 now, and still loves to try to touch everything that he KNOWS is hot. I can't turn my back for a second, or else he's into something. I'm used to it, but it stinks not being able to take my son to friend's houses or something-- because I know he'll ruin something, or neither him or I will have a good time. (I could care less about missing events, weddings, etc.. it's just the fact that there is definitely an issue here)

Anyways, I'll keep you all posted.

August 9th, 2011, 10:12 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The diagnosis part is always hard as we don't want to admit there may be something different about our children.

Wait to see what the diagnosis is and go from there. Don't be afraid of medicine. My youngest has been on meds since he was almost 5 and is 16 now. He is still on a low dose for his age and we have no regrets.

The good thing is that you are almost at that point where help is on the way! It will be a huge relief off your shoulders when you and the doctor come up with a treatment plan and you start to see your son in a whole different way. ((hugs))

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search