Diagnosis finally came in..

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
I just posted a huge long post, but my computer erased it. nice..

Well anyways, I don't have many more minutes to sit here and repost unfortunately, because my son is already in a mood. lol.

After many months of waiting, testing, evaluating, etc.. we received my son's diagnosis today. He was diagnosed with ADHD and two other disorders. My mind was going crazy and I was about to have an emotional breakdown when the doctor was going through everything that I actually forgot what the other two disorders are. They're sending me the paperwork this week though, and I'm sure I can call and get it tomorrow (?)

Anyways, as much as I KNEW it was ADHD, I had hoped the doctor would say that he is fine and I'm just crazy. But no..

He said if it doesn't get better within a year (with meds, etc) they want to re-evaluate him and test him for bipolar or a mood disorder.

They said he tested in the 3rd percentile for communications, (verbal, etc) and that he leveled at what a 1.5 year old would... he'll be three in 2 months.
He said after we start medication (we have to see the psychiatrist, and go from there) then he needs to see a speech therapist to help assist in his speech and communications.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll be around more.. because I certainly need the help and support right now.

Thanks to you all, I'm able to keep going.

August 29th, 2011, 09:01 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
doesn't it feel good to finally have a diagnosis?? as hard as it is to hear.... my oldest also was dx'd with bipolar along with his ADHD and my 9 year old also has ADD and ODD, so it's pretty common to have another diagnosis with the ADD.
what meds did they put him on?

August 30th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
They haven't put him on any meds yet.. He has to see the psychiatrist first and see what they say. This place said they'll probably start with play therapy.. But what is that? I feel like it's a ten year process just to get my son any help. The first appointment with the psychiatrist, my son doesn't even go... But he's been to this group of doctors.. So why do i feel like they're jerking me around? Who do i have to have another consultation before he gets any help..sorry im venting. Im sure they know what they're doing..
They said at the earliest, he may start meds in a few months. Has anyone tried play therapy? Does it help with anything at all?

Btw, he was also diagnosed with ODD, phonologic disorde, and another that just slipped my mind.I'll have to go check his papers.

September 12th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hear you on things being such a long process to get help!! We had to wait over 6 months just to get an OT evaluation, and 3 months for psychiatrist.

My daughter went to play therapy for over a year and got a lot out of it. Basically, the idea is, with children - sitting them down and "talking" about their "issues" like an adult counselor won't be very fruitful. Instead they use play to address things- imagination/role playing etc etc.

September 14th, 2011, 08:39 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
The diagnosis and everything that come's after that can take forever but a few months isn't that bad. My oldest is diagnosed with autism and ADHD, and I am in the process of getting my soon to be adopted daughter screened for ADHD (since she was already diagnosed with pFAS and the two often go hand in hand). I've heard good things about play therapy but don't have any experience with it.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
September 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Regular
Its good you finally know, and that the doctor is trying to ensure good care for him to make things better. I hope things work out for you, its a hard road dealing with things like that with someone so young.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search