September Check-in

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2011, 08:26 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Since I am new to this board I thought it would be a good idea to start this so we can all get to know each other better.

Name:
Child(ren's) name(s) & ages:
Diagnosis(s):
Does your child take medications:

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
September 16th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Regular
Name: Holli
Child(ren's) name(s) & ages: Jonathon, 2
Diagnosis(s): ADHD
Does your child take medications: Yes, the doctor was concerned due to his age, but after monitoring his behavoir and the violent outbrusts that would come along with it, he told us to try Melatonin 3mg an hour before bed time. It has helped so much, bed time is no longer a four hour process, and his behavior the next day has not been as extreme. He is still very hyper and distracted, and of course moody as all two year olds can be, but the violent outbrusts have been curbed to a minium. He has been seeming to comphrend more now that is he able to get a full night sleep every day.

September 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Name: Linda
Child(ren's) name(s) & ages: Alex (6), Katie (5), and Aiden (2)
Diagnosis(s): Alex has autism and ADHD, Katie is getting tested
Does your child take medications: Not at this time, through providing Alex with sensory input he is able to control his, Katie will eventually be put on meds (I think it will help her out a great deal as it has with me)
Jetsmom: I tried melatonin wiht Alex and Katie and it got them to sleep but then they were up in the middle of the night, but now that they are older bed time is easier.

September 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Regular
Hi Linda. When we started using Melatonin, it would help with sleep, he would sleep fully all night. After so long though it began to just be a calming agent, which is great to. Our doctor suggested to take him off for a while then put him back on it slowly. Which it has been working. Some nights he will fall asleep on his own, but does not stay asleep. This week he has been only taking half a pill, since he has been off of it for about two weeks. So far so good.

September 16th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Jennifer

Haley (5), Joe (3)

Haley is dx with sensory processing disorder, and now ADHD.

Haley is taking focalin XR. I really didn't want to use meds - but we had been trying sensory input for over a year. It helped, but not enough and it was unreliable. She was having all sorts of meltdowns and almost got kicked out of 2 daycares. Now Kindergarten has been a breeze!!

September 30th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Jennifer, that's great that the Focalin has made such a huge difference in Haley.

September 30th, 2011, 03:51 PM
mindy scott's Avatar I love being me :)
Name:Mindy

Child(ren's) name(s) & ages: Ryan(13yrs) Emily (9yrs)

Diagnosis(s): Ryan- ADHD , Bipolar ( with nerve and anxiety probs) Emily ADHD

Does your child take medications: No not at the moment . Ryan cant take anything for his ADHD or his bipolar because they cause the other to get severe . Emily is on meds off and on but for the most part we try not to but if it starts effecting her in school we put her on meds . We havent found one that works on her even though we tried several kinds .

September 30th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Mindy, Sorry you haven't found a med that works wonderful for Emily yet. What if anything helps Ryan when he can't seem to sit still or focus. I have found with Alex, my 6 year old, that deep pressure works wonders to help calm him down.

September 30th, 2011, 07:13 PM
mindy scott's Avatar I love being me :)
Ryan has calmed down as he has gotten older almost like hes "growing" out of it . He still is hyper and talks alot but hes so much better from when he was young and would run non stop all day . Emily at her old school they did Brushing on her and exercies in the morning an after lunch and those worked wonders with her ! It helped calm her muscles and relaxed her . Plus she loves being the center of attention and is a touchy feely kid lol ... They wont do that with her in this school they say its one for the extra sensory kids . i am sure i just got that wrong but for kids who need touching or massaging i think . So when it comes time for meds again i dont know what we will try .

September 30th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Brushing has worked wonders for my son who has sensory issues (and autism and ADHD) but I don't see why they wouldn't do it for her if it works. Maybe she does have sensory issues that contribute to her ADHD. I know when my son is overstimulated he gets super hyper. Bring that up to them and see what they say.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search