Getting to Know You *****START HERE*****

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
This is the place to introduce yourself and get to know others.

Name:
Children(s) Name(s) and ages:
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD:
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type:
At what age were they diagnosed:
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD:
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc):
Something about you and anything else you would like to share:

I'll Start......
Name: Linda
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Alexzander (6), Katie (5), and Aiden (2)
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Alexzander and getting Katie tested and pretty sure Aiden will be diagnosed in the future
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type: Alexzander (ADHD)
At what age were they diagnosed: 6 years old
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: I have comination type ADHD and am on Adderall. I was diagnosed when I was 9
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): With Alex sensory tools work wonders so we haven't done meds. Katie on the other hand I would like to try meds with her, nothing else I have tried works.
Something about you and anything else you would like to share: I am a single, foster, adoptive mommy. Katie and Aiden's adoptions should go through in the next two months. Katie also carries a diagnosis of pFAS (partial fetal alcohol syndrome) which basically includes ADHD. Aiden will probably be diagnosed with pFAS as well. Alexzander is my only biological child and has high functioning autism as well as ADHD and was diagnosed with ODD but I don't think it applies to him anymore.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG

Last edited by AlexKatieAiden Mommy; October 22nd, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
October 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Name: Missy
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Corey 20, Dylan 19, Kyle 16 and baby Scarlett due 11-24
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Corey and Kyle have adhd
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type: ADHD
At what age were they diagnosed: Kyle was 5, Corey was 9
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: I have ADD, I am not sure about their dad...
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): I write everything down to help me stay on task. I am huge on keeping a notebook and having a calendar with me all the time to keep me on track. Kyle takes adderall 20mg 1 time a day, Corey is not on any meds

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Children(s) Name(s) and ages:William, 9 (10 next month), and Brisa, 8
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD:William
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type:So far all we know is it is ADHD, but we cannot afford further testing and we just lost our insurance because we cannot afford it
At what age were they diagnosed:At age 6
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD:I was never diagnosed, but I think I may have something (if not the same) similar. My whole mother's side of the family has some sort of mental illness.
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc):Games, and not just the video game kind. He gets bored extremely easy, so I must keep him occupied.
Something about you and anything else you would like to share:I suffer from anxiety/panic disorder, and it scares me that my son could develop it because of me. I really wanted my children to escape the mental illness that runs in our family. Not one person on my mom's side made it without something bad happening to them.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
October 4th, 2011, 04:34 AM
LauraTTCat42's Avatar Proud Host TTC-OM
Name: Laura
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Rohan (9) and Aliyah (4)
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Rohan
At what age were they diagnosed: Sought medical advice form age 3, diagnosis made at age 5
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: father ADD, me ADHD
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): Concerta 54mg for the ADHD and Epilem 200mg for the TLE; arm brushing and running through the grass barefoot 15 minutes before a task for the ADHD and SID; keep away from all foods containing red/orange/yellow food dyes - this really helps!
Something about you and anything else you would like to share: Has anyone read the books called Indigo Child and The Da Vinci Method? Da Vinci method was very helpful in providing alternative methods to help control the ADHD (the book is anti-meds but my son needs the meds so I use the book in conjunction with the meds). Indigo Child is a different perspective on why there are so many children ADD/ADHD, just makes interesting reading if you are prepared to step outside the proverbial box for a minute.

Jun/July2012 - Cycle 11 started charting
October 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
Name:
Children(s) Name(s) and ages:
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD:
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type:
At what age were they diagnosed: Tyler 6, Austin 7

Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: no

What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): meds

November 4th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Super Mommy
Name: Lisa
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Miguel 9
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Miguel
At what age were they diagnosed: 9
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: Both of us have bipolar and ocd. Most of the rest of our family has some mental health issues also.
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): karate, hopefully medication and therapy
Something about you and anything else you would like to share: We are worried that he had learned behaviors then ADHD because of our medical issues but have been reassured time and time again that it is not learned behavior.
January 18th, 2012, 01:26 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Name: Cathy
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Breana (4) and Brandon (2)
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Breana
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type: we are just in the stages of getting tested for it.
At what age were they diagnosed: 4
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): we are on a trial run with meds, I have limited the amount of sugar that she gets.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 22nd, 2012, 06:59 PM
mommyof3ny's Avatar Soon to be mommy of 3!
Send a message via AIM to mommyof3ny Send a message via Yahoo to mommyof3ny
Name: Elizabeth
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Hailey(6) Jacob(2.5) and Aubree (1)
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Hailey
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type:ADHD
At what age were they diagnosed:6
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD:Her biological father
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc):SHe just got diagnosed FINALLY this past Friday and we have only tried meds so far. She has started on 15mg of Focalin.

February 4th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Micayla 10, Justin 8, Alan 3, baby due 8/1
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD:Micayla
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type:ADHD
At what age were they diagnosed:In 1st grade, but we knew she had it since she was 3.
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD:Her father (not my husband) has ADHD (as well as most everyone in his family) and is also manic depressive among other things.
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc):Meds during school, talking to her in a calm voice, repeating myself often.
Something about you and anything else you would like to share:Micayla is being put in for a referral to see a psychiatrist because her medications aren't really helping anymore. Her teachers as well as friends and myself have noticed for a while that she is showing signs of having manic depressive disorder as well, so we'd like to get that evaluated. I am a military spouse, my husband is in the Air Force.

Scarlett Diane

March 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Name: Trish

Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Celina (12), Tyler (8), Isabelle (4), Miranda (19 months)

Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Tyler

At what age were they diagnosed: He was only diagnosed last year (age 7), but we've suspected for a while

Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: noWhat have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): limiting his sugar helps a bit, but we haven't really figured things out yet, although the psychologist did suggest meds.

Something about you and anything else you would like to share: I'm from Canada

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

September 3rd, 2012, 12:58 AM
fireflyluna13's Avatar Super Mommy
Name: Selena
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Alex 10, William 8, Lukas due 11/4/12
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Alex 10
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type: ADHD. Alex has a lot of food aversions, had IUGR, was premature
At what age were they diagnosed:I should know this but it just seem like forever ago. I think he was 5 but we suspected it sooner
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: I think his father (my ex) has it but is undiagnosed.
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): meds are the only thing that have helped. I resisted meds for a long time
Something about you and anything else you would like to share:I am starting a 504/IEP process for Alex for the first time this school year and am really anxious about him starting 5th grade
~Selena, mom to 3 boys: Alex 10, William 8. and Baby boy #3 Lukas Araya born 10/28/2012

Lukas was born with moderate to severe metopic craniosynostosis with trigonocephaly. Corrective surgery performed March 18, 2013. We are on the other side!!!
November 18th, 2012, 12:22 PM
jeangeorge2742728's Avatar Crazy Momma 2 seven
Name: Jean
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Tyran 10, Anita 8, Jimmy 7, Sammy 5, Kaitlynn 4, Maryjean 14 months.
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Tyran, Anita, Jimmy, and Sammy
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type: Tyran Jimmy and Sammy has ADHD and Anita has add
At what age were they diagnosed: Tyran 6, Jimmy 5, Anita 6, and Sammy was at 5
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: My DH has ADHD, I have ADD
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): Exercise and Meds
Samuel (Sammy) Wesley 5-27-07
Kaitlynn Faith 6-11-08
MaryJean Hope 9-16-11
Ethan Curtis 02-06-13
March 9th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Hi,
My name is Sharon - I live in PA with my 2 boys and husband.

My 4 1/2 year old has an IEP for social/emotional behavior issues - we've been kicked out of 3 daycares due to his 'oppositional' behavior. He is medically undiagnosed but I strongly believe he was more ODD than ADHD but the characteristics do overlap and the approaches I have taken have been more for ODD. With parenting changes and a preschool that is really structured and working with the Special Ed department my Gavin is thriving with no meds - it was all my parenting style and structure required. The main thing I found he needs - LOTS and LOTS of Hugs and Kisses. So every night we have cuddle time and I get to hold him really tight and believe it or not, this with the structure and parenting changes have helped immensly.

Then there's my 7 1/2 year old, Brayden. Sweetest thing ever. A year younger than everyone in 2nd grade - advanced in math but has horrible writing (fine motor) and will not write open ended sentences - can't finish tests in class that he needs to read and write answers to - distracts other in class, can't focus, very fidgety, can't sit, can't watch a movie at home. I've always been hyper aweare of the ADHD possibility which does run in my family - but I have seen improvement over the years. He also can organize things, and forgets homework, jackets, lunch boxes etc. at school. Again, ADHD is undiagnosed, but I have just started him on an over the counter focus vitamins to see if it will help.

I hope to understand others experiences and see what I can add to my life to help my boys thrive.
Thanks and I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Sharon
August 21st, 2013, 08:19 AM
Name: Tara Gaddy
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Madison (11), Trent (9), Zoey (6), Canaan (3)
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Zoey (adhd)
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type: (adhd)
At what age were they diagnosed: 5
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): She is currently on methylphenidate and it starts working 30 min after she takes it and wears off in a few hours. We went with this med because as I mom I felt like a huge failure having to have my child put on medication and it eases my mind that its not something that she will have withdrawals from if she misses a dose.
Something about you and anything else you would like to share: I saw this forum and I know its sort of old but I had to add my 2 cents since my daughter was diagnosed a year ago. It has been a huge struggle for my husband and I. The first day she was diagnosed we had her younger brother at the doctor for a check up. Ever since she could walk we have delt with temper outburst and extreme hyper activity and I have come close to a nervous breakdown several times. I felt as if I was doing something wrong. With her older brother and sister everything was so simple and then with her i felt like i never did anything right. It's very discouraging when you can't figure out what exactly it is that is going on with your baby. That day in the doctor's office she was literally bouncing off the walls. She refused to listen to anyone, was pulling everything off the counter and jumping up down off the chairs and the table. When I burst into tears her doctor decided it was time to go through the adhd forms and figure out what we could do to help her and myself. This was not the first time he had experienced her like this but up until that point he chalked it up to normal child-like behavior. Today, some days are good and other days are not so good. I try to practice as much patience as possible with her without being unstructured or too easy on her. She requires constant stimulation and always needs something to keep her focused. We are taking it a day at a time and hoping for the best. Too all you mommies out there with a child who has add/adhd, my glass goes up to you. It is an emotional rollercoaster that is sometimes very hard to keep your grip on. Love you all!
October 23rd, 2013, 10:51 AM
Name: Natalie
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Ryan, age 11
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Ryan
At what age were they diagnosed: age 4
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: both of us do. I just recently was up on medication.
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): medication for sure (no questions about it, he must be on medication) Also sports
Something about you and anything else you would like to share: Honestly I am at a loss with him at school. He is on the verge of being suspended. I am in the process of switching his medication. Hopefully that helps.
December 3rd, 2013, 06:58 AM
peggums27's Avatar Luv my girls
Name: Peggy
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Alexa (13), Mia (4)
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Mia
At what age were they diagnosed: 4
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: father and my brother
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): exercise, reducing sugars, positive reinforcement
Mia is our rainbow baby, we didnt want to admit that maybe she has adhd, I work in behaviours for a living so I was in disbelief that this could be happening at home, I blamed myself for spoiling her, and for trying to keep her a baby longer, until she started being so hyper that she starting hurting herself running constantly and being asked to leave every day care in our town where we live. She started on 10mg of biphentin this week after I finally admitted it to myself and agreed with her pediatrician. She is also seeing a specialist at the child development centre and our family is seeing a social worker to see how we can work together to help with her adhd.

Peggy ~ Mom to~ Alexa 07-13-00 Rennon (RIP) 05-26-07 Mia 12-10-09

And I can't breathe without you, but I have to breathe, without you, I have to
December 29th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Name: Kristin
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Evan (8) and Titi (her nickname, she'll be 5 in two weeks)
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Evan has ADHD
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type: Combined type with inattention and impulsivity that's off the charts
At what age were they diagnosed: He was dx in 1st grade when he was 6
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: I think my husband had it as a child, undiagnosed
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): Meds definitately help, push-in services from the school psychologist, routine, swimming, wrestling, need to get him into Behavior Modification
Something about you and anything else you would like to share: I was really hoping this board was more active. I feel so alone after this stressful holiday. I feel like no one understands my son and instead think I'm a horrible parent and/or he's a horrible kid. I need support and ideas for how to move forward.
January 3rd, 2014, 01:05 PM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
Name: Sarah
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Samuel (5), Elijah (1)
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: Sam
Do they have ADD or ADHD or combinations type: Don't know yet. In the process of Dx. But blood testing came back positive.
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: I have ADD and I think DH does too. He was never Dx though.
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): --
Something about you and anything else you would like to share: I'm glad to have found this board. It will be good during this whole process.

January 5th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Name: Tina
Children(s) Name(s) and ages: Madison 12 and Adriaan 5
Child(ren) with ADD/ADHD: ADHD
Do you or your childs father have ADD/ADHD: I do.
What have you found that helps your child (wether it be meds, deep pressure, brushing, exercise, etc): at this point a natural medication called calm and being alone at home.
Something about you and anything else you would like to share: I love learning new ways I can help my children.
January 6th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Name: vicky
children's names and ages: Frederick and 6 (as of tomorrow)
Child: Adhd
age diagnosed: 5
Family who has it: I have mild add and his aunt has adhd
methods that help him: calm down area, deep breathing
Medication: quilivant xr 5 ml once a day
Something about me: I love to watch movies with little man

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search