How did you know?

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
So my DH and I have suspecting my son is ADHD for a while but never have gone further. Dr once told me, I had to get a report from his teachers. I never did.

Truth is my son is never still at all. Always bored because he wants to be. He has so much energy and doesnt know what to do with it. He cant sit still no more than a couple min without being loud and running. He can be calm one moment then all of sudden he is the loudest kid in the world. I love him to death but man, I wish he was calmer.

He never pays attention to anything, we tell him. We can tell him, do this and that. Then 3 min later we ask him and he says I dont know what you are talking about. I ask him if he was paying attention and he says no. He cant stay concentrated because he gets bored IMO and he mind wonders. Thats why he cant be doing anything more than 2 min before he gets bored.

When he was younger, he was calmer and speech delayed so we never suspected anything but now he just around.

We try limiting his sugar and it doesnt help.

Help, do you think he is ADHD? If so whats the process to determine it. Is their natural way without medicine? Please any input you have would be great!!!!

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

October 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
How old is your son?
I new right away with tyler, he was always a very difficult baby, my mom would always tell me, he is ADHD, and then half way through kindergarden he was really close to getting kicked out of school for his hyperness and other issues, so I had him tested and sure enough severe ADHD he started meds when he was 5.5-6. My 9 year old I didn't really know until he was 7 and got together with his teachers and had him tested as welll I had them both tested through their dr.

October 9th, 2011, 03:58 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Welcome Mami!! Back when I was diagnosed (many years ago, almost 20) psycologist's were the only one's who could diagnose and treat ADHD. But now days pediatricians are becoming more educated in ADD/ADHD that they can diagnose and prescribe medication for ADHD.
ADHD is diagnosed by having teachers and parents and anyone else you want fill out questionaires about how the child behaves in different enironments. In the ADHD diagnostic criteria it states that the child has to show ADHD symptoms in atleast two different environments (usually school and home).
There are many natural things you can try which include diet (taking out sugar and certain dyes), natural suppliments (such as melatonin), a sensory diet (my son responds great to deep pressure such as a bear hug or a heavy blanket on him), etc. You just have to find what works for both you and him.
The first place I would start would be with his doctor. Ask questions and see if the doctor can either diagnose and treat or refer you out to someone who can.
I look forward to getting to know you better.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
October 10th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
My son is very limited on sweets and any dye products because they make bounce off the walls. He has been very impatient and impulsive since he was about 3 years old. Now he is literally just wild. He has his calm days. He was good child till about 3 and now at 6, DH and I say he is at his all time worst. Even worse than his terrible twos.

I am going to talk to his teachers and see what they say!

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

October 10th, 2011, 03:30 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Where in Florida do you live? If it is the Fort Lauderdale area = sunrise pediatrics is a great place. It is where my son went to the doctors when we lived down there.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 11th, 2011, 02:13 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
When my son was an infant, he was constantly kick non stop. I knew then that he would be a hand full. I was even told by family members that he had a lot of energy as a baby. As he grew older, it only got worse. I kind of figured it out around 4 years old when no one but me could stand to be around him. I always put it off as just him being in his toddler wild stage.

We tried diets, no food dyes, natural remedies, sports, etc. just to avoid meds. He is finally on meds at 9 years old and I am glad that I did it. We still have issues, but you can notice a huge difference.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search