New to all of this... 4 year old with ADHD

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Hi Everyone.. I am mom to 3 boys. my 4 year old has just been diagnosed with adhd.. however, we suspected it for the last year or so, he has this along with some developmental delays. we went for a 2nd opinion and that dr said the same thing. going for a 3rd next week.. just very nervous about putting him on meds, which is what all the drs are suggesting. We have been doing everything to help him. he is in a special ed preschool setting getting all his services (speech, ot, ed, behavior therapy). behavior-wise he does well at school (very structured environment) but not retaining anything in terms of learning. he just cannot focus long enough to retain anything. as far as home he is all over the place, moving from one thing to the next, he runs off in public, he is very implusive which makes it very difficult to take him anywhere, he also is very impatient. very, very difficult to deal with. he is up at 5am every morning and is on the go from then on.. until he burns himselft out at night. i try to get him to focus on a particular task but he just can't. soooo my question is.. what should i expect with medication ? i ask you mom's who are going through it first hand. how will the behaviors we are seeing at home change ? i would deal with the behaviors at home.. and hold off on medicating but when he is not learning in school that changes everything for us. we want to get this under control before he starts kindergarten next year. Did anyone else medicate as young ast 4 and what were your experiences ? another question i have is my son is still struggling with speech. he talks but he still struggles to get longer sentences out. did anyone else experence this ? wondering if it is related to adhd.. and if we can get him to slow down his speech will come easier for him. thanks so much for all your help. i read this board and really felt like you are a bunch of moms all going through the same thing as me and it is very nice to get positive feedback rather than people judging, especially people who do not have a child with severe adhd.. thanks so much.
October 13th, 2011, 09:39 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Welcome SDG!!! I was exactly where you are 2 years ago. And although I didn't choose to put my son on medication because we found other things that worked for him, I am not against medication in any way (I too have ADHD and have been on meds for years so I know how much they can help.) My son was also dev delayed (he has mild autism) and once we found ways to help the ADHD, his speech really had a chance to take off.
Most parents have a hard time choosing to medicate because they believe it will change their childs personality but once they do, they say that their childs personality wasn't effected, it was just easier for their child to concentrate and learn. But thats just from the parents I have talked to.
In my opinion I would give meds a try and if you don't like the results you can always choose to not medicate but you won't know if you don't try (and I have seen alot of parents who regretted waiting so long).
If you chose not to medicate, research all the ways you can help your son (diet, sensory things, etc).
I look forward to getting to know you better and wish you the best.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
October 13th, 2011, 07:28 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I put my son on meds at age 5 and the only regret I have is not doing it sooner! I struggled internally with myself about giving him meds thinking that I was just drugging him because I could not control him.

Within 4 hours of him being on meds I just cried with happiness - my beautiful son was able to control himself and HE was happier as well! He is now 16 years old and still on meds. He is on a very low dose for his age and it has worked for him. He is now an honors student in high school and I could not be more proud of him. Don't get me wrong - we have our issues at times and he is so overly emotional but for the most part his life changed all for the better due to the meds.

((hugs)) what you are going through is rough. I am glad you found us!!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 16th, 2011, 04:25 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
welcome!! My boys were diagnosed at 5 and 9 both of them are on meds and wokrs great for them.

October 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Thank you so much for the feedback.. we are struggling with our decision but it is so helpful to hear others going through the same..

By the way, which medications are your children on ? I know every child is different. Just curious which worked for you and did it take some time to find the "right" medication.
October 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My youngest is on adderall 20mg 1 time a day in the am. He started out on 2.5mg when he was 5 and it worked perfectly for him right away.

My older son was on adderall and he hated it. We switched to Concerta then Stratera and he did not like any of the meds. He stopped taking them all together when he was 12 or so. He said he would rather deal with the adhd than be on meds and I respected his decision.

It is hard on us parents for so many reasons to put our children on meds, I totally know what you are going through.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search