Parents who medicated 4 - 5 year old with ADHD..

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2011, 01:01 PM
What medication did you start with ? One Dr. suggested Dexedrine since it is approved for children 3 and older.. Another Dr. suggested low dose ritalin. We are just at the point of getting diagnosis' and hearing dr. suggestions.. Thanks so much!
October 18th, 2011, 02:59 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
I honestly can't remember.. my kids have been on it for so long and it was so long ago.

October 18th, 2011, 06:37 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
So sorry but I don't have any experience with a child that young. But I was put on meds at 9 and ritalin worked wonders for me. It could be a place to start.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
October 19th, 2011, 04:42 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sons started with 2.5 mg of adderall. My youngest is still on it to this day.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 19th, 2011, 05:27 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I am not familiar with either of those meds. Sorry. They put my son on Vyvane, and although it did seem to help at first, he lost his appetite and lost over 10 lbs in one month. I guess that is a common side effect with that med. He is on Strattera now. It does not do as good of a job, but it does take the edge off.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
October 19th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My daughter, age 5 started taking Focalin XR about 3 months ago. It has helped her alot and I haven't seen any negative side effects. The dr was considering concerta or focalin - but she cannot swallow pills no matter how hard we try. The focalin can be opened up and sprinkled in a spoonful of applesauce. Good luck!

October 20th, 2011, 08:06 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenninator View Post
My daughter, age 5 started taking Focalin XR about 3 months ago. It has helped her alot and I haven't seen any negative side effects. The dr was considering concerta or focalin - but she cannot swallow pills no matter how hard we try. The focalin can be opened up and sprinkled in a spoonful of applesauce. Good luck!
You brought up a really good point. A lot of our little ones can't swallow pills at first so the medicines need to be limited to those that can be opened up and put in applesauce. Great point you brought up!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DS, now 9, was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 4.5. We started him on a low dose of ritalin. Because it was a low dose and something that he took more than once a day, it was easy to adjust the dosage to get to a point where we could see that it was helping without us having to worry about him being over medicated. You can half the tablets, so you can really dial in the dosage. Once we found a good dosage, we switched to something a little longer lasting. Ritalin pills are pretty tiny, and my DS always managed to just be able to swallow them - I would just give him a drink from a straw and that seemed to help them go down. I think you can also crush ritalin into applesauce or something like that.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
December 1st, 2011, 08:55 AM
Thank you so much for all your responses. The Dr. started him on Focalin XR 5mg. This is his 2nd week. So far, no bad side effects. We notice him slightly calmer and slightly more focused. Still a little implusive behaviors.. Dr. wants to try 10mg to see if we see more results.
December 4th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope it continues to go well!

January 12th, 2012, 04:09 PM
We started my 5 year old on Daytrana. It's a type of Ritalin but it's in a patch that you stick to them. It works very well for us and allows flexibility in scheduling and the option of medication free days. Plus, now that he's in school, I put it on at home and it lasts all day without having to dose at school.
February 15th, 2012, 01:08 PM
my 5.5yo son was just diagnosed a couple weeks ago and I was inquiring about the patch to his ped and she said it's not recommended for anyone under 6 and our insurance wouldn't cover it. :-( She prescribed 10mg Ritalin LA 24hr. capsule that we will have to sprinkle in applesauce every morning.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search