New Here:::::Daughter is newly diagnosed with ADHD and on Focalin:::

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2012, 06:13 PM
mommyof3ny's Avatar Soon to be mommy of 3!
Send a message via AIM to mommyof3ny Send a message via Yahoo to mommyof3ny
Hey everyone!

My name is Elizabeth but I go by Liz and I am a mommy to three wonderful kids. Hailey who is 6,Jake who is 2 1/2 and Aubree who just turned one in October!

My daughter Hailey has always had a bit of issues with anger and behavior along with anxiety and what not. I have been trying to get a diagnosis for her for a little over a year. But it wasn't until she started Kindergarten that the teacher and I both realized that she was having issues in school with focusing and distracting herself and others....to the point where this could be an issue with her not being able to complete kindergarten or quite possibly being held back. At this point in time it was time to really step up my game and get her into see her doctor ASAP.

Her apt was this past Friday and she was indeed diagnosed with ADHD and we will be starting out with meds. Right now we are in the trial and error stage. Her doctor has put her on 15mg of Focalin.I gave her the first dose today and within a hour or so I had already noticed a considerable change...she was not the same kid that was always just so angry,anxious and hyper....now I know it was only one dose but still.....I was in shock!

Now I know there are alot of symptoms to look out for such as hyper focusing and what not if they are on the wrong dosage or medicine but I have let her teacher know what was going on and that she was officially diagnosed...but we have been in pretty much constant contact since Hailey is on the behavior plan at school.

If your doctor started your child off with medicine what dose did they put them on?,what medicine? and did it help? and what side effects did you notice???

I am so new to all ofd this and just want to do what is best for my daughter

I look forward to getting to know all of you

January 24th, 2012, 06:58 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Welcome Elizabeth!! I am Linda, mommy to 3. Alexzander (7), Katie (6), and Aiden(3). Alexzander has autism and ADHD, Katie has pFAS which includes ADHD symptoms and I myself have ADHD. None of my kids take medications but I have been on ritalin and now on adderall. Sorry I don't have any experience with Focalin but just wanted to welcome you. I am glad you are seeing good results with Focalin and your daughter is doing good.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
January 24th, 2012, 09:32 AM
mommyof3ny's Avatar Soon to be mommy of 3!
Send a message via AIM to mommyof3ny Send a message via Yahoo to mommyof3ny
Thanks! This is all so new to me but ay I ask why you are not using medications? It is easier said then done with getting her to take them!! I am more stressed over that :/

January 24th, 2012, 11:54 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Up until this point I was able to help them control their symptoms with a sensory diet. It continues to work well with my son, but my little girl on the other hand it isn't as effective and I think its coming to be time to look into medication to help her. As for me, I started on meds when I was 9 went until I was 16 and thought I knew everything and then started back on them a year and a half ago.
If you are worried about your daughters ability to swallow pills you could look into a medication that can be crushed or opened (if its a capsul) and put in a teaspoon of applesauce or something. I have heard of people doing that with ritalin (its a little white pill that can be crushed) but then you would have to do it throughout the day since you can't crush the extended release medications. Just a suggestion.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG

Last edited by AlexKatieAiden Mommy; January 24th, 2012 at 11:56 AM.

Tags
adhd , focalin

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search