Possible ADHD child. Dr Appt June 1

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2012, 10:33 PM
tatanickel81's Avatar Veteran
Hello, I'm new to this board. My name is Christina and my DD is ten in 4th grade. Mya struggles with homework, focusing, following directions, staying on task, and with her memory. She easily forgets things and is always super distracted. DH is in denial. We had to fill out forms for the Peds and everyone else had selected frequently or often for most of the first ten questions and he chose seldom for most. I'm not sure if it's because he works a lot or because he doesn't want to admit there's a problem. But he's always so frustrated when he asks her to do anything.

So she has an appointment for June 1 with a child psychologist. The initial consult is $150. I guess my insurance doesn't cover the initial assessment. I have to go pick up the assessment forms and then take them in with our first appointment, which btw is just with me and my husband. Then he meets with Mya at a later appt. Is this normal? Did anyone else go through with this?

I'm a little nervous, but I really want her to get help if she does have ADHD. She is really struggling with a few subjects in school and I think she might need more than just tutoring. She gets lost following simple directions and even doing complex math problems. I just hate to see my little girl struggling to complete even simple tasks and at the same time it is so frustrating having to give my ten year old one direction at a time.

I can't tell her to pick up her clothes in the bathroom, get the laundry basket from her bedroom and wash her clothes. Sometimes she'll grab the laundry from the bathroom put it in the wash machine, never get the clothes basket from her bedroom and will even forget to start the washer. Then when I ask her about it she doesn't even remember me telling her to do it in the first place! Aaargh! It's so frustrating at times.

Anyone, just wanted to introduce myself and meet you all
May 11th, 2012, 08:40 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Welcome Christina!!! I'm Linda, mommy to Alex, Katie and Aiden. This is a slow moving board but feel free to jump on in.

I'm not sure if it's because he works a lot or because he doesn't want to admit there's a problem.

Most of the time its harder for the guys to admit their child has an issue than it is for us moms. So denial could be a big factor here, though thats not always the case.

I have to go pick up the assessment forms and then take them in with our first appointment, which btw is just with me and my husband. Then he meets with Mya at a later appt. Is this normal? Did anyone else go through with this?

That is normal in this area too. The doc just wants to know about family history, your concerns, etc at the first visit.

From personal experience myself (I have ADHD) and with my daughter who is 6, I can say that with meds have made a huge difference. I was diagnosed at the age of 9 and at that point I was doing really bad at school because I couldn't concentrate and couldn't sit still long enough to actually learn and was a constant distraction in class. I was always distracted even though I wanted to pay attention to the teacher. After starting meds (it took a little while to find the right med at the right dose) I started getting straight A's, could sit still and pay attention and stopped getting into so much trouble.
Katie (who is 6) was recently diagnosed with ADHD and ODD and just started meds a couple of months ago. I can tell you that it has made all the difference for her. She is able to sit and play games now, where before I could tell she wanted to play the game with us but just didn't have the attention span to stay focused on the game and know what was going on. She is doing great in school and not getting into trouble (she was always getting into trouble for not following directions and disrupting the class).
Again welcome to the group and feel free to ask questions, share, or vent.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG

Last edited by AlexKatieAiden Mommy; May 11th, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
May 21st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband's answers on the questionnaire were the same way It was hard for him to admit there was something not quite right going on!

Our son was evaluated by the school psychologist so she sent home pretty long questionnaires for us and the teacher and she observed him several time on different days and in different school environments and then met with him. Once her eval was done, she gave us a written report to take to the pediatrician. The ped looked over the report, confirmed it was ADHD and gave the official diagnosis. He is responding very well to therapies put in place via his IEP at school and is unmedicated. 54453544

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search