Question: just ADHD or something more?

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2012, 07:46 PM
amberjolie's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello,

My son definitely has some sort of behavioural/developmental issue. He's 5, and we knew right from a baby that he was different, but kept on being told he was too young to do anything. But now his teacher also said that he wasn't in the spectrum of "normal" that she's seen and she's been teaching for years (retiring this year, in fact).

He's got a lot of ADHD type behaviours, can't sit still for a moment, talks loud all the time, etc., and my brother has ADHD, so it would make sense. However, he's also got some other things that make me wonder if there's something else.

He has tics, squinting eyes, sniffing nose, etc. He has fixations, where he absolutely loves something and won't talk about almost anything else (way more severe than a kid who just really likes something). He is constantly making noises, drum noises, humming, etc. He likes to quote movie lines a lot. He has severe temper tantrums (not often, thankfully, but where he's kicking and pinching).

So I'm just wondering if these sorts of things can still fit with ADHD, or whether there may be something else going on, either with ADHD, or on it's own with some ADHD-like symptoms.

I think he's going to be referred to a pediatrician soon, but of course this type of thing often takes a long time to figure out. But I hope it doesn't.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any info you can give.

June 25th, 2012, 12:29 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
IT might be ADHD or some form of Autism.

Have you got him evaluated?

I hope things get better for you

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

June 25th, 2012, 07:16 PM
amberjolie's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello!

Thanks for the reply. We are currently in the process of having him evaluated (beginning of, and I know it can take awhile).

Autism was something I had thought about, but contrary to autism, he's very loving and hugging, and expressing love, and he loves talking to people (not always about what they want to hear, of course...). Although I had read somewhere that it is possible to be on the spectrum and still have these social and loving type traits.

August 29th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I know this thread is a couple of months old, but I am new to this board and saw this post and had to respond. I have 2 children with autism, my son I believe also has ADHD. Kids can show signs of autism and not have it, so it's not like he for sure does have it, but what you are describing sounds exactly like autism to me. My daughter is also very affectionate and loving, though she does for sure have autism. Every child with autism is different, and all of their symptoms can be very different as well. Was he ever speech delayed? If not, it could still be Aspergers or PDD-NOS. I encourage you to seek out ABA therapy for him if he does in fact have autism. Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search