My child may have ADHD?

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My son is 4yrs old. For awhile now, I have been concerned about his behaviour. As a parent, I try not to think of my son having any types of disorder, or atleast I had tried to avoid the thought of it. But lately, his behaviour has been more out of hand. So I started reading online of signs of ADHD, and he possess most of the signs. Examples, he has lack of patience, can't focus on one thing long enough before getting bored, only time he's ever focused is when he's infront of the tv, can not sit still...especially when it's time to eat. He's always moving, even when standing..he has to be jumping. And he does not listen to me and his dad when we tell him not to do something. So we have been giving him numorous time outs. But its like he doesn't learn from them.

So I want to get him evaluated. What is my first step? I am thinking go to our family doctor and she can refer us to early intervention??
September 26th, 2012, 07:02 AM
LindsayMom09
I am going through the exact same thing with my son, so I can sympathise with you. My little boy has not been evaluated for ADHD yet but I am almost 100% sure he has it. I would take him to your doctor first and foremost and explain everything. I'm sorry your going through this and I wish you all the best.
October 5th, 2012, 07:11 AM
My son is 5 and I've been going thru the same things as you both for the past couple of years. And now he's started kindegarden and having some trouble.
I'm far from an expert, but feel like one becuase I've read just about all I can about ADHD in the past couple of weeks due to his issues in school as well as teacher/principal/counselor meetings. The issue is becuase our sons are so young, it's really hard to diagnose ADHD. Lots of little kids are active and will eventually grow out of it.
You can go to your pediatrican, however if it's like mine they will tell you what I just said, that they are really too young to diagnose. What we need to do is try our best to keep them under control and watch like hawks as they get older.
October 8th, 2012, 10:07 AM
It is a good idea to seek your pediatrician's advice first, and then you can go from there in getting the assistance you need.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search