DS has ADHD...

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2012, 06:17 PM
mykesmomma's Avatar Veteran
DS is going to be 8 in October. He was diagnosed with ADHD about 4 years ago. At first he was put on Concerta, then we switched to Vyvnase. He has been on the Vyvanse for about 7 months. He is taking 20mg, which isnt even the starting dose. His doctor suggested going to the starting dose of 30mg, which I decided not to do. But I am now considering it.

But lately, it just seems like hes not listening to any word that comes out of my mouth, does not clean up after himself anymore. He used to pick up his toys and take care of his cups without being told. Hes gotten to have an attitude of a 13 year old girl. I just dont know how much more of this I can take.

My question is...what discipline methods do you use on your ADHD child? Ive tried time outs, groundings, taking toys, tv or video games away...and nothing works. Do you have your child do chores? We thought maybe if he had a chore chart of simple things he could accomplish might help some. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mychael Todd Allen 10/29/2004
My angel baby went to heaven 1/13/2006
Isabella Rose 2/12/2013
September 29th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son responds really well to positive reinforcement, both at home and at school. He loves to work towards rewards that he likes, such as lego time, video game time, craft time, etc. He has small goes to work towards and then bigger goals (such as trips to the park, the zoo, the local dairy farm). Timers also work well for him--we use an old fashioned timer that makes the clicking noise for each second so the sound is a reminder that he is being timed and it helps him stay on task plus he can look and see how much time is left. We mostly use the timer when we want him to get x amount of things done (fill up two toy bins or do ten math problems, etc) before the time goes off--if he finishes on time, he gets a small reward such as a few minutes with legos.

Has your DS been evaluated for anything else? As part of Sterling's IEP assessment, he got a full evaluation from the entire team at the school--the Occupational Therapist found he had a sensory processing disorder that makes him crave constant movement and stimulation and that was really affecting his concentration and ability to be still/control himself. He is on a "sensory diet" where he has regular breaks to play with various textures such as shaving cream or play doh or to move around (jumping jacks, running, etc) to fill his sensory needs. It had made a big difference in his ability to stay on task We never would have known if we hadn't asked (demanded) that he have a full evaluation.

We also do the standard grounding, time-outs, losing privileges when nothing else works but most of the time giving him a goal to work towards works

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search