Does anyone have experience with Concerta?

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2012, 10:32 AM
My 8 year old son was prescribed this yesterday. I had him take his first pill today. I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this medication and can provide any insight. I am a little worried because of course there are always the horror stories out there. But, I know that there is positive feedback too. Is there any warning signs I should look for? What were the positive or negative reactions? I have been against medication for a long time now but I have run out of options at this point. Just worried about my baby.
November 18th, 2012, 12:25 PM
jeangeorge2742728's Avatar Crazy Momma 2 seven
I have 2 children on concerta, on is on 27 mg and the other is 18mg. The loss of appetite is the only fault I have found it take's them a few weeks to get it back. Now My DR told me to feed my kids a huge breakfast and a huge supper so they wouldn't lose any weight. Its a really medicine I am glad they are on it.
Samuel (Sammy) Wesley 5-27-07
Kaitlynn Faith 6-11-08
MaryJean Hope 9-16-11
Ethan Curtis 02-06-13
December 6th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I have read a lot of good things in regards to children that have been put on Concerta. Even how much they have improved it to one pill in the morning lasting 10-12 hours. I am glad that improvement alone comes for kids..So they don't have to be going to the nurses office in the middle of the day. I to have fought drugs and still am. But I still read up on them, in case that day should come.
I use this site A LOT..it has great information on drugs used for ADHD. I totally understand your being worried they are so little and really don't understand what is going on....Just hang in there..Check the forum for help and information. Keep us updated on how he is doing.
December 7th, 2012, 02:24 AM
LauraTTCat42's Avatar Proud Host TTC-OM
I know this is an older post my 11 yr old DS has been on Concerta for nearly 4 years now, aside from the loss of appetite I have found it to be a very good medicine for my son. He doesn't walk around like a zombie and is still very much himself, just a calmer more focused self.

Jun/July2012 - Cycle 11 started charting
December 10th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
I love it!! My son has been on it since April (except during the summer) He is the same kid as he always was, and it doesn't have to build up in his system, I love that I can take him off at any time and it wears off about 8 hours later. It has helped him to control his impulses and he is doing MUCH better in school this year.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

December 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM
It's great we can keep this post going to help others, with with their questions on Concerta. Side effects or the differences people have seen in their kids is so much help for the rest of us.
December 26th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Super Mommy to be
My nephew who is with me and my husband a lot is on it and the only thing we can tell is he looses his appetite through out the day and then when about 10pm comes he is raging hungry tearing the house down looking for snacks. His mom tried Ritalin because of how much cheaper it was one time but didn't tell anyone about the switch but BELIEVE me, when my nephew came to our house for a stay I quickly called and asked what was he on because he was like a a totally different child....running thru the house and loud and so VERY hyper I can't even explain...even my friends called me and said what is wrong with him this trip and said they had never seen him like he is...simply a wild child! We quickly took him off of it. Concerta is much better for our nephew. I'm sure everyone is different and reacts differently to medications. Hope this works well for your son.
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins
January 5th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Happy New Year!

Left-field how lucky your nephew is for having you guys watch out for him. Instead of taking him off the Concerta, did she try to find coupons or anything like that to help her keep him on it?
June 15th, 2014, 07:35 AM
My daughter has been on concerta since she was 5. She lost weight at first and kept it off for the most part till puberty set it. She still ate the same during the day which was never much when she was at school. At home she will wake up and be super hungry till the pill kicks in. After the pill wears off she isn't super hungry. Over all this is a great medication.
There is a generic form of concerta which costs less but we found she was all over the map with it and her doctor told us a lot of people were experiencing the same thing so she went back to Concerta.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search