pill breaks on the weekend

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By left_field
  • 1 Post By left_field

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Super Mommy to be
Hi Just wondering if you give your kids a pill break from their concerta on the weekends/holidays, or if thy take them everyday???
Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins
December 28th, 2012, 03:39 PM
peimum's Avatar life blows sometimes.
Send a message via MSN to peimum Send a message via Skype™ to peimum
Mine take them everyday. We don't take summer break either. I never really understood why parents took the kids off them. When I worked as a camp counselor, and got the kids off the meds for a month.... it was not easy.

December 28th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Super Mommy to be
Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with you. My nephew doesn't take them on the weekends/holiday etc and I think he should be on them all the time...He's 15 and I hate to think that I think he should be on them just because he's not so behaved and focused/calm when he's not but if he needs to needs to be he needs to be...kwim??? Of course usually (these days anyway) he is with me and my hubby when he IS not on them..... and we're strict and he's a typical kid that will say things like 'I'm not on my concerta you know I can't help it, yadda yadda'.... AND then of course others are annoyed when he's around because he's so wound up, argumentative, talking over people, etc......
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
'Blessings' by Laura Story (What if trials of this life, are your mercies in disguise)
Glorious Ruins
December 30th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
Will gets a break. I use weekends as an opportunity to teach him that he can take control of his behavior. that said, if he is going some where that he will be expected to sit calmly I will evaluate his need for the medication. If he is staying some where I give that person the choice if he will be on his medications. He is in play therapy and my goal for him is to be able to manage his adhd without medications. I know this isn't always realistic though. I don't allow him to misbehavior on not being on his meds. I teach him that actions have consequences and that he has the power to choose his actions.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

December 30th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Super Mommy to be
[/QUOTE]I don't allow him to misbehavior on not being on his meds. I teach him that actions have consequences and that he has the power to choose his actions.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I tell my nephew the same thing. I tell him if he knows enough to use it as an excuse for misbehavior he knows enough to try and help himself. I make him take responsibility for his actions also. Appreciate the replies.
Orangebrittainy likes this.
Glorious Ruins
January 1st, 2013, 07:48 AM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
If I understand right he lives with his parents but spends a lot of time with your family?? If this is the case, unless his parents are consistent like you are he will continue to use the excuse. Don't by any means give in though, even having the consistency in one area of his life will go a long way!

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

January 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM
Super Mommy to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangebrittainy View Post
If I understand right he lives with his parents but spends a lot of time with your family?? If this is the case, unless his parents are consistent like you are he will continue to use the excuse. Don't by any means give in though, even having the consistency in one area of his life will go a long way!
you are correct.............. we tell him be home at a certain time or don't do this or that and he disobeys we make his punishments stick. For instances he was 7 minutes late with curve and his curve is now reduce by half an hour until he is on time with this curve for a while. That had nothing to do with ADHD but just using it as an example.
Orangebrittainy likes this.
Glorious Ruins

Last edited by left_field; August 12th, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
December 29th, 2013, 12:00 PM
We try to do medication vacations because my son metabolizes the meds quickly. We are constantly having to adjust and switch his meds...they work for 3 months and then stop being effective and need to be changed. The med vacays help prolong the period that his meds will be effective.

I won't give him meds if we're doing something physical like going swimming or hiking or for a long bike ride. Also if we're just sitting home for the day I don't give meds. However, they are a MUST for school and family get-togethers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search