Hyperactive son, but not ADHD

Forum: Children With ADHD

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SavaAngel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With ADHD LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Hi everyone. I just found this forum in my attempt to figure out what's going on with my child. I have a 7 year old boy who had a miserable year in first grade last year. He was fidgety, laughed too loud, tapped his pencil all day, couldn't be quiet when he was told to, etc. The teacher was at her wits end and the school asked me to put him in counseling, which I did. The counselor suggested he be tested for ADHD, as then the school would have to put a 504 plan in place. I thought - Perfect! that's the answer.

So off to the psychologist's office we went yesterday, and the diagnosis was not ADHD. He apparently passed the test (although the doctor said because of my son's high IQ he still might have ADHD, but basically "beat" the test). The doctor said my son is clearly hyperactive, but that's all he could say.

So my question now is, does hyperactivity exist withotu ADHD? Whenever I look up "hyperactivity" on line, I get information on ADHD. From all the books I've read, my son doesn't have a lot of the ADHD symptoms (lack of attention, poor memory, arguements at bedtime). Does anyone else have a child that kind of falls into this category? His behavior is good at home (although very active), but his behavior is bad at school. The psychologist said my son is a bit of a puzzle because usually with the amount of hyperactivity he shows there would be inattention as well, but not so with my little guy.

Just looking for someone who has perhaps gone down this road. With no ADHD diagnosis the school will not implement a 504 plan so I'm truly dreading 2nd grade beginning. I personally think he's overstimulated with the noise in the classroom, and the rigid structure of having to sit for so long.

Thanks in advance.
August 3rd, 2015, 11:13 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Does your school have a gifted and talented program? Maybe you can look into that and see what happens.

Did the psychologist give you and the teacher a questionnaire to fill out regarding your child's behavior? That is how they do it here. They don't really "test" the child. Also, consider a psychiatrist - they can prescribe meds and the psychologist will just do counseling, etc.
Ddeby likes this.

PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

August 4th, 2015, 06:17 AM
In speaking with the principal, counselor and teacher last year, gifted and talented never came up. I personally thinks he needs a smaller classroom, but was told that's only available for learning disabled students. I think the large classroom revs him up and gets him over active.

Regarding the questionnaire, the school actually gave me, my husband and his teacher the Connor's to fill out last year. OUr scores were much lower than the teachers. I'm assuming that didn't rise to the level of giving him a 504 plan, which is why they suggested outside counseling.

I'm just flabergasted that with all the "problems" he seems to cause for them why they just don't implement the 504. It's all hanging on the diagnosis of ADHD, and the psychologist said he doesn't have it. So frustrating.

Thank you SavaAngel for your suggestions. I'm actually considering home schooling him if this coming year doesn't go any better, so I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.
September 28th, 2016, 02:48 PM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has he had an eeg? My son has frontal lobe dysfunction, which has caused many issues including hyperactivity.

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

May 17th, 2017, 10:41 AM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Schools don't WANT 504s. It means they HAVE to do something and they can't push the problem onto you and they can call your child a problem.

I am going to push for a 504 next year for my son. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and takes meds.

PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

May 24th, 2017, 10:44 PM
Hi,
I can understand your situation where one of my cousin's son too was like this. I don't know a solution for this but i have a link of a blog where i preferred to my cousin. I think this one will be useful to you. Blog| Funriders Amusement Park Equipment supplier India

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search