Bacterial Vaginosis

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
angieelee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did any of you get bacterial vaginosis after your c-section? IT is an infection caused by the imbalance of bacteria in the vagina and I read that it can be obtained after an operation like a c-section. I am having symptoms of it and would like to know what the heck to do. There is only one "natural remedy" out there and it is $67 a bottle for one month! I don't want antiobotics because I am breastfeeding and don't want thrush. Anyone? Anyone??
July 14th, 2008, 11:29 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Sorry, I've never had it. Surely your doc can Rx something that wouldn't cause thrush, though. Do you eat something high in probiotics (like certain yogurt brands) when you take antibiotics? That would probably help. Check the content. The ones like DanActive have a lot more probiotics than some of the other brands. Sugar makes infections worse, too, so buy the light varieties if you can find them.
July 14th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Live4Love's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry, but I have never even heard of it before. I agree with Bensmom though - call your dr about it. I'm sure that there have been other breastfeeding mommies who have had to deal with this, so they should know what to do.
July 14th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I spoke with his nurse and she acted like I was crazy when I asked if it was somehow related to the c-section or because I had such a long labor with him being in position for so long. I read that on the internet, but she said no.
The doc said to use Monostat 7 because he is reluctant to prescribe anything with breastfeeding. There is only a 50/50 chance of this working and I am irritated.
Thanks for the input anyways ladies.
July 14th, 2008, 08:27 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I HATE it when doctors blow you off! Have you tried posting on one of the breastfeeding boards to see if they have any natural remedies you can try?
July 14th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Live4Love's Avatar Super Mommy
ugh I'm sorry that you got that type of response when you asked! I asked a couple of my friends about it and my best friend got this after she had a tumor on her ovary and had to get it surgically removed (the tumor and the ovary, since the tumor had grown so large). She said the dr never gave her a straight answer when she asked if the infection was at all related to the surgery, but it did occur within weeks of the surgery.

She got put on antibiotics for it and she said it cleared up nicely. I know that you'd prefer to not take antibiotics though, and your dr didn't seem very interested in helping you. Hopefully you'll be able to find a natural remedy or the Monistat will work! Good luck, hun!
July 16th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh gosh you must be miserable. I have never heard of it. Hope you can get some relief!

July 16th, 2008, 06:19 PM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry, I really don't know anything about it. I hope you get some answers and can get it taken care of.

July 17th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Tofu Bacon
I had the same problem and was able to clear it with probiotics (antibiotics were recommended, but it did't make a heck of a lot of sense to me, since antibiotics caused the problem in the first place). Probiotics are the good bacteria found in yogurt; they tske up residence in your digestive system and keep the bad bacteria at bay. You can buy them in pill form at the drug stores, healthfood stores or GNC-type places. They are completely harmless and cause no side effects. You want to look for the ones labelled "L.acidophilus" with at least 1 billion live cells.

Here's what to expect:

Week 1: take 2 pills, 3 times daily. After about 4 days you'll notice your symptoms getting a little more intense. As uncomfortable as it way be, it's a good thing because its a sign that the bacteria is making its way out of your vagina. Within the next couple of days you'll notice your symptoms start to clear.

Week 2: take 1 pill, 3 times daily. Your symptoms are probably nearly gone, but you'll want to finish out the whole week on probiotics, just to be sure the infection is gone.

After you finish out week 2, you can continue taking 1 per day just to keep your digestive system in balance and boost your immune system. I
July 21st, 2008, 03:26 PM
Great- thanks for the info b/c Monostat didn't work. I will get some today.
July 21st, 2008, 04:10 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I dont know how long they take to clear up,but maybe you can pump some extra milk and feed him BM in a bottle while you take the anitbiotics and clear up your infection, and while you are taking the antibiotics, you can pump and dump to keep up your milk supply. You should talk to your doctor to see how long it usually takes to clear it up.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search