Can I join you ladies?

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello girls my name is Jenn. I am going to be having my first csection in December. Im quite frankly scared to death and have ALOT of questions! Can you girls help me out?

Does the epidural hurt?
How long were you in the hospital after the birth?
Did you get sick during, before, or after the birth?
How long between when the baby comes out and I get to hold her?
When can I eat again?
How long does it take for the epidural to wear off?
Will they give me anti-nausea medicine?

Sorry for the thousand questions...I just want to know what to expect!!! Thanks ladies!
July 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Christy72

Of course welcome!! i will try to answer your questions.

Does the epidural hurt? - You will probably get a spinal for a scheduled section. The spinal is just one shot. It didn't hurt that I remember. It is the worst part for me though. You have to be completely still while they put it in. I had a bad reaction to both the epi I had with Samantha and the spinal I had with Lilly in that my bp crashed both times. So, I was a big baby the 2nd time. They gave me medication though and it came right back up.

How long were you in the hospital after the birth? That depends on your ob. I was in 2 days with Samantha and 3 days with Lilly. I liked the extra day.

Did you get sick during, before, or after the birth? Nope, not at all.
How long between when the baby comes out and I get to hold her? I got to touch both girls within minutes, but not hold until recovery. I would say 30 min or so.

When can I eat again? This is the worst. They won't let you eat until you pass gass. I know gross huh.

How long does it take for the epidural to wear off? It took awhile for my spinal to wear off. It was a few hours. I don't remember about the epi as that was 4 years ago. EEEK.

Will they give me anti-nausea medicine? I don't remember getting any medication, but I could just not remember.

July 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much you reassured me. Im so scared!! Im such a chicken when it comes to needles and doctors! I just heard the epi can make you sick. I hate to puke....ewww! How long does the whole procedure take like from walking to OR to being wheeled out?
July 22nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Jenn! I'm glad you are joining us. I'm Stephanne and my DS was born via unplanned c/s in Aug. 2006. I'm pg with our second who will arrive via scheduled c/s in early March. I will answer your questions though my answers may be similar.

Does the epidural hurt? As Christy said you will probably have a spinal. I don't remember it hurti.ng but I was in labor at the time
How long were you in the hospital after the birth? I was induced Wed morning, c/s at 9:45 PM, left at 3ish on Fri. but was given the option of staying until Sat.
Did you get sick during, before, or after the birth? No
How long between when the baby comes out and I get to hold her? I saw and touched him within minutes. It was no longer than an hour (not really sure but probably less).
When can I eat again? I ate breakfast in the morning as I was sleepy that evening. I was passing gas though so that may be the standard.
How long does it take for the epidural to wear off? 2-3 hours including surgery so an hour or so after you are finished with surgery.
Will they give me anti-nausea medicine? Yes if you feel sick and probably if you request it beforehand.

July 22nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Live4Love's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello, and welcome! Do not feel bad about being scared or asking a hundred questions if you need to. One of the best things about chatting in a supportive forum is that we're all here to help each other! I had my first unplanned c-section in April 2006. Mine was unplanned because it wasn't a scheduled elective - but at the appt that my OB told me I needed to have it done, I was sent home and reported to the hospital early the next morning... so I do know what it feels like to have the anticipation of the surgery and walking into the hospital knowing you're going to have it done. I am having a repeat c-section in November. Now lets see if I can help you with some of these questions...

Does the epidural hurt?
I had a spinal with mine. I don't remember it hurting, but it was a scary moment for me purely because of the anticipation. The anastesiologist (wow, I think I murdered that spelling) had me sit on the edge of the hospital bed with my feet hanging over the edge. I had to wrap my arms tightly hugging a pillow and lean forward against one of the nurses so that I wouldn't move as it was done. It really wasn't that bad though - the worst part was waiting for it and thinking it was going to be bad.

How long were you in the hospital after the birth?
My OB was very much about getting women home quickly... I went in at 5am, had the surgery that morning, spent the night, stayed one full day, spent the night, then was discharged the following morning. To be honest, I do not like hospitals, but I kind of wished my OB had let me stay a little longer. I think another day recovering in the hospital would have sent me home feeling more reassured. But I do understand how many women just prefer to go home ASAP.

Did you get sick during, before, or after the birth?
Nope, not at all. Actually I didn't even know that happens to some women during a c-section until I read about it on this forum a month ago. I didn't feel sick at all.

How long between when the baby comes out and I get to hold her?
I was able to see the baby right after she was pulled out, but the holding did not happen until I was out of recovery and into my room. They wouldn't move me out of recovery until I got feeling back in my legs, which took FOREVER

When can I eat again?
My OB had me on a liquids only diet for the first day and then the following day I was able to eat solid food for dinner... although I wish I hadn't! I was so hungry for "real" food that I ate too much and I was severely constipated because of the surgery and pain meds. I had a MISERABLE time until I was able to have a bowel movement. I have sworn to myself that in November, I will request ONLY liquids and soups until I have my first bowel movement because I do not want to go through that again! I have heard though that some hospitals will give c-section patients stool softeners right from the beginning of recovery, which I'm assuming helps - that's something I was not given.

How long does it take for the epidural to wear off?
I had a spinal and it took mine hours to wear off. In recovery, I started to worry that I was paralyzed because of how long it was taking to wear off... luckily, that was just me worrying and it did of course wear off. The nurses were very reassuring and kept telling me it would just take some time. It was a very strange feeling to look at your feet and try soooo hard to move them, but not be able to because of having no feeling! haha I think it will be a little easier for me in November because I've already experienced it, so I don't think it will worry me this time.

Will they give me anti-nausea medicine?
I'm sure they will if you ask for it. I didn't receive any, but I also did not request it and I did not feel sick at all. I think there was so much going on that I wouldn't have had time to feel sick

How long does the whole procedure take like from walking to OR to being wheeled out?
hmmm It has been over 2 years, so that's a little hard for me to remember. I believe that I went in at 5am, they hooked me up to IV fluids for a full hour prior to prepping me for the c-section. I was given the spinal, then taken to be shaved and prepped... then the actual OR wasn't very long. I feel as though from the moment that the OB started cutting to the time I he was sewing up my uterus was only minutes. I think that maybe I was only in the OR for about 30-45 minutes and the majority of that time was being closed after the surgery. Then, I spent about 2 and a half hours in recovery until the spinal wore off.
July 22nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Dan's wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does the epidural hurt? I agree, you'd probably get a spinal if it's scheduled. It took my anethesiologist four tries to get my spinal in and I don't remember any pain, just a little pressure.
How long were you in the hospital after the birth? My 2nd c-section was scheduled, Summer was born on a Monday morning and we went home 2 days later on Wednesday. They said I could've stayed another day if I wanted but I just wanted to go home!
Did you get sick during, before, or after the birth? I got sick right after they pulled Summer out. But when the nurse gave me the anti-nausea stuff before she spilled some so I didn't get all of it, so I think that was why I got sick. But they were able to give me something in my iv that made me feel better almost instantly. I can't think what it was called, I think it started with a Z but I'm not sure.
How long between when the baby comes out and I get to hold her? With both of my c-sections I got to hold my baby about 30 minutes later I think.
When can I eat again? The day of my c-section I only got liquids and jello, but then the next day I was eating normal food.
How long does it take for the epidural to wear off? I had an epidural for my first one because it wasn't planned and was kind of last minute. But if I remember right I think the spinal with my 2nd one took longer to wear off. I don't remember exactly how long it took but I think it was several hours before it was completely worn off.
Will they give me anti-nausea medicine? I would think they would. Before mine the nurse gave me this little thimble sized thing of liquid to drink. It tasted icky though.

ETA: The whole procedure doesn't take that long. They took me into the OR at about 7 in the morning, after the spinal and everything Summer was born at 7:27 and I was back in my room at about 7:45. It's amazing that they can do it so quickly!

July 24th, 2008, 04:56 AM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Welcome!

Does the epidural hurt?
I had a spinal...I don't even remember it being put it, honestly.
How long were you in the hospital after the birth? I was in 5 days (if you include the day he was born). They told me I could get out after 2-3 but I opted to stay because my baby was still in the NICU and then I didn't have to drive back and forth from our house those extra days to see him.
Did you get sick during, before, or after the birth? I got sick a little while after they put in the spinal. I threw up a few times. Then I threw up again in recovery. I also got the shakes really badly afterward.
How long between when the baby comes out and I get to hold her? I'm a weird case...because my baby went to the NICU right away I didn't get to hold him for 24 hours.
When can I eat again? Jeremy was born Sunday night and I ate Monday morning.
How long does it take for the epidural to wear off? I don't remember...a few hours maybe for it to go away completely.
Will they give me anti-nausea medicine? I believe you can ask for it! If I have another c/s I would ask.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
July 24th, 2008, 05:35 AM
meli.ann's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does the epidural hurt? I agree that you'll probably have a spinal, and no, it didn't hurt. The worst part was trying to bend over far enough for it, my belly was in the way! But there wasn't any pain.

How long were you in the hospital after the birth? My son was born at 11pm on a Tuesday night, and I left the hospital around 3pm that Thursday.

Did you get sick during, before, or after the birth? No. Afterwards I had the shakes pretty bad, but it went away after about a half hour. I also itched a lot, but they gave me some Benadryl and that stopped quickly too.

How long between when the baby comes out and I get to hold her? I think my situation was weird. The hospital was short staffed that night, and it took about 3 hours before they brought him to my room. For this one, I'll request that the baby is brought to me much sooner than that.

When can I eat again? I was able to eat solid food once I passed gass...some doctors want you to have a bowel movement before solid food. But until then, I was able to have broth, jello, etc, the next morning.

How long does it take for the epidural to wear off? My spinal wore off pretty quick. They had me trying to wiggle my toes in recovery, which I couldn't do yet. But by the time I was in my regular room, so about an hour after the surgery, I was able to move them. I was up and walking early the next morning.

Will they give me anti-nausea medicine? If you need it, I'm sure they will - I never had any nausea problems.

Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero. ~Marc Brown

July 24th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Does the epidural hurt? - I didn't think that the Epidural hurt and Ive also had a spinal for a different surgery and I actually didn't like that because after my legs and butt were on fire from the block wearing off and my nerves going crazy.

How long were you in the hospital after the birth? With Colin I was in from Sunday to Wednesday. I will have this baby on a Friday and be out Tuesday.

Did you get sick during, before, or after the birth? I puked a very small amount once while in the table. but it was easy and I hardly remember doing it.

How long between when the baby comes out and I get to hold her?I held colin with in minutes of him being born, I remember being scared but they told me "you will not drop him,so just take him"

When can I eat again? I didn't have to pass gas first. it was just when I felt that I could

How long does it take for the epidural to wear off? The epidural took a few hours but they keep you pretty well medicated and you hardly notice. with the spinal it was about 4 or 5 hours.

Will they give me anti-nausea medicine? I was given it after I puked on the table. and I may have gotten some sooner but I dont remember.

Good luck Jen! and feel free to PM me anytime!!

Cass

July 25th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
thank you so much ladies! honestly my biggest fear is puking. im going to tell them to load on the anti-nausea medicine!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search