We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I know I am the only one besides my doctors to make the decision to have a vbac or a c-section and I have also posted some in the vbac forum but I would love some input here. I am 38 weeks going into 39 and have had no contractions or anything indicating the labor process is on it's way, granted my first daughter was born at exactly 38 weeks via c-section due to my water naturally breaking then no progress and being on a pit drip for 17 hours and finally her heart rate became unstable I suppose due to the pitocin and my doc decided it was best for her to go ahead with the surgery. I got up to 8cm before surgery but never to the push stage. This time I have taken everything and done everything I am suppose to do to naturally progress to the labor stage but nothing has worked.....
Anyways, I really would love to have my vbac ofcourse BUT what I am mainly concerned about it going all the way to 40-42 weeks having to have a repeat anyways or laboring then having to end up with another c-section anyways.
I am 5'1 pre-pregnancy 110 lbs and have gotten pretty outa control weight wise this time gaining nearly 50 lbs! I am absolutely miserable to say the least. They estimate the baby to be 7 7 1/2lbs already and I can only imagine how large she will get if I wait until 40-42 weeks. Emotionally I am getting at my wits end. I feel fat, uncomfortable, I can't sleep and I am starting to take it out on my DB especially because I just feel so unattractive. I just don't know what to do. I had a HUGE panic attack on the table with my first c-section and I am scared I will have another one. I have this horrible feeling of dying from the surgery and I don't know why I feel that way... I deeply want more children 1-2 more after this one but have to consider all the risks with having 3-4 c-sections....
I just don't know what to do... I don't want to give up or give in, but I dont want to be miserable and wait just to end up with another c-section anyways..... Granted with a c-section DB would know when to take off and for how long but Breastfeeding a newborn and taking care of a toddler after the 3-4 days he will take off will just be horrible I imagine....... Ugh, I don't know what to do!
It is a really hard decision. And it is your decision. Honestly I don't see the harm in waiting until 40 weeks. If nothing happens then you can schedule your cesarean for a day or 2 later. Maybe give your body the chance it needs?
I had one emergency cesarean and one scheduled and my scheduled cesarean was much more relaxed and friendly. It was way less stressful and everyone involved were excited to meet the baby. The doctors and nurses were laughing with me and made me feel calm and at ease. You'll find that a scheduled cesarean is much better than a scheduled one.
As far as caring for a toddler and a newborn you will need help for the first few weeks. My dh took 2 weeks off to bond with baby and help me. After that I was able to keep up with most of the demands (while still taking it slow).
Most women find that their healing is better the second time around. Probably just because we know what to do and what not to do from past experience.
Also there are lots of moms here who have had 3 or more cesareans without any complications or problems. The deciding factor on how many pregnancies you should have (safely) is how thin your uterus is. You can ask your doctor to check during your cesarean each time in order to help you decide if you can safely have another. Another thing that helps is giving your body ample healing time between pregnancies.
Good luck with your decision. Hope to see you around more often. Congratulations!
Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
Well I kinda know how you feel only I made the decision to do a repeat c-section much sooner. Like my Dr told me in the end it has to be your decision and you have to be happy with that. I didn't progress past 5 with my first and my Dr said if you don't progress the first time you are more likely to have that problem again. Now that is just my Dr and I trust her so I took her word on it. I don't want to labor for 11 hrs again just to have a c-section.
Good luck with your decision! Can't wait to hear your birth story!
wow That is a very tough decision to make and I have to say that regardless what anyone says, it really does need to be your decision (well, yours and your DB's) because you are the one who is going to go through with whichever path you choose. I had a c-section in April 2006 and I am due this Nov and personally chose to have a repeat c-section. Lots of statistics and studies I have researched have concluded that the safest way to deliver a baby is vaginally, but the least safe is c-section after laboring. (with a scheduled c-section landed in between those two) That was the one fact that seriously impacted my personal decision to go with a scheduled c-section. I would rather walk into the hospital knowing I was going to deliver via c-section than being in labor for hours and ended up exhausted in a c-section despite my efforts to deliver vaginally.
With that said though, I have never felt any kind of regret or remourse for having not delivered vaginally the first time. Missing out on the experience of vaginal birth was completely okay with me because I feel as though cesarean sections are still giving birth - just a different way of doing it. But I know that many many women feel strongly about wanting to have that vaginal delivery experience, so that is why they fight so hard for a VBAC. If you are the type of woman who really wants that vaginal birth experience, then maybe waiting two more weeks (to get to 40) is a good idea. If at 40 weeks you still haven't shown any progress, you can always change your mind and decide to have a c-section then.
I think the ladies have all given wonderful advice. This is your body and your decision. I will tell you my story if that helps at all. With my daughter Lilly I really wanted a vbac. I knew that meant I had to go into labor on my own. Well at 16w I ended up with high blood pressure. This lasted until a few months after the birth of my daughter and was controlled with medication. Luckily it never got any worse and I did not end up with pre-e. That by itself probably would have been ok, but then I also ended up with Gestational Diabetes. I diddn't have GD with my oldest and she was almost 10lbs. Lilly was measuring about 8lb 15oz at 37w 4 or 5 days. The other problem with GD is that it ages the placenta and can cause still birth, so most docs don't like you to go to 40w with GD. My doc looked at me knowing how much I wanted the vbac and just said he really didn't think it was a good idea and that I should just do the repeat c-section. I agreed with him and a few short days later at 38w2d my dd Lilly was born at a whopping 9lb 13oz. I have no regrets in my decision. I know it was the right one. This time I am going straight for c-section without even thinking about vbac. Try to put all the facts out on the table and do what is the best for you and your family. The only regrets that I have are some lingering sadness knowing I will never have a vaginal delivery, but I am content with my decisions. Best of luck to you!
I'm sorry you are feeling so scared. I'm kind of going through the same thing now. I don't know if I want to try a VBAC or if I want another c-section. I have been really torn over that decision too lately.
Honestly I don't see the harm in waiting until 40 weeks. If nothing happens then you can schedule your cesarean for a day or 2 later. Maybe give your body the chance it needs?[/b]
I completely agree!. Do what YOU feel is best!. It is your decision completely!. Good luck!
Hi Amy! I'm also pg with my second. This is a hard decision to make. You have to decide what will be best for you and your baby. I'm happy to share what I've decided for me. I've decided to do a repeat c/s. I believe it to be the safest choice for my baby. I never went into labor on my own and was induced at 41 wks 2 days, and responded well to induction but my son was in distress so after and hour of pushing I ended up with a c/s. I would be concerned about whether I would go into labor on my own this time as induction would not be an option. My labor experience was so scary at the end that it's not something I care to repeat either. My c/s recovery was not horrible so I know that I can do it again especially after not laboring first. Like a PP said, I also do not feel regret over not delivering vaginally. All of those factors combined led me to believe that a repeat c/s was the best choice for me. I think if you search your heart, think about what you want, what you believe, etc., you will be led to the decision that is best for you. Maybe an old fashioned pros and cons list might help. I hope that you are able to come to a decision that you are happy and comfortable with, because that is very important. Hugs! Ask any more questions that you might have.