First time C-Section: Length of Hospital Stay

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2009, 09:13 AM
ilovesnails's Avatar Tina come get some ham...
Hi,
I am having my first scheduled c-section, following 3 vaginal births. Can anyone tell me what the average length of hospital stay is? I have never been in the hospital for longer than 24 hours so I am dreading the idea of a 4-5 day stay.
April 6th, 2009, 09:39 AM
RockinAsh's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi, I'm lurking here.
I have had two c-sections. For both of mine I went in on Thursday evening and got discharged on Sunday morning. So, 3 days....
It wasn't that bad, but by Sunday morning, I was definitely ready to be at home with my LO.
Hope this helps
April 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had one emergency c-section and it was at 11pm on a Monday night, I went home on Thursday afternoon.
April 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well..I was at the hospital Mon-Fri but I actually had her at 10pm on Tuesday..so 3 nights after the csection.

April 6th, 2009, 03:37 PM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With both of mine I went in on Wed and was out Fri afternoon. I'd say my first was about 40 hours after my c/s, my second about 54 hours.

April 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
3 days is the norm. Some docs prefer 4 and in some cases you can go home in 2 if you are doing really well.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 6th, 2009, 06:29 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
My doctors said I could leave on the 3rd day after mine (emergency) but I chose to stay the 5 days my insurance allowed because my son had to stay in the NICU anyway. I figured I might as well have someone wait on me and make my meals for me and stay close to my baby.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
April 6th, 2009, 06:29 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
My doctors said I could leave on the 3rd day after mine (emergency) but I chose to stay the 5 days my insurance allowed because my son had to stay in the NICU anyway. I figured I might as well have someone wait on me and make my meals for me and stay close to my baby.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
April 7th, 2009, 12:47 AM
duality's Avatar Miss Mama
I did very well after both of my cesareans, so I only stayed about 2 days. The average stay is usually around 3-5 days.

April 7th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't wanna be the bitter apple, but once you've been opened and have to suffer to get out of bed the first 24 hours (not to mention the toilet issue..!!!)....you won't mind staying a little longer....believe me. As it is i stayed 3 days and i dread hospitals also Mind you i never had an kind of surgery (not even IV) put in me prior to the c-sec. First day after it i couldn't even consider been home without the help of every professional available. A c-sec is a million light years different from a vaginal....

Healthy recovery to you...

" \m/ Now Im riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Ill cross the line forevermore \m/ "

April 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM
heathernoel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll echo everyone else...my first c section I was in on Saturday out on Tuesday. The second I was in Tuesday, out Friday.

I prefer it that way. It gives me time to physically recover, bond with baby, and take a break from the rest of the kiddies
April 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
I had my son on 3/23/09 at 11:22am and was discharged on 3/25/09 at around 2pm, so just a little over 2 days. I would've loved to have stayed 3-4 days because till day 5 or so, it was extremely difficult for me to get around due to the pain and soreness.

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

April 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Msbasay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Msbasay
Well I think it kind of depends on how well you heal. I healed so well I was out the next day, but thats rare.

April 8th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i was rare to i had her 7:40 on tuesday night and was out wednesday night because she went to the NICU. so technically i was transferred to another hospital where i stayed for 9 extra days with her in the NICU.
April 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM
mama2one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've only had one csection and I was in the hospital for 4 days. That was the limit that insurance would pay for so, I think hospitals like to have you out before that. It's horrible to say but I think it's true.

Mostly, I think it depends on how you are healing. My bp was pretty high so that's why they had me stay an extra couple of nights. They would've sent me home on the 3rd day if that wasn't the case.

I've only had one csection and I was in the hospital for 4 days. That was the limit that insurance would pay for so, I think hospitals like to have you out before that. It's horrible to say but I think it's true.

Mostly, I think it depends on how you are healing. My bp was pretty high so that's why they had me stay an extra couple of nights. They would've sent me home on the 3rd day if that wasn't the case.

Thank you Katarina for this adorable siggy!
April 8th, 2009, 12:05 PM
CaitBellLeighMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first, I had her on a friday went home monday. I COULD have gone home sunday -- but she wasn't going to be released until Monday and I wanted to stay with her.

With my second, I was there 2 days.

My 365 challenge My "Mommy" blog
No One can make YOU feel inferior without YOUR consent ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

April 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had my daughter at around 4:30 pm on a Friday, and was home about lunch time on Sunday. So two nights. I could have stayed longer as I really felt like crap, but it was good to get home too

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
April 8th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Dan's wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first time I was in the hospital for 3 days, my second time it was 2 days.

April 8th, 2009, 07:38 PM
JessicaRae's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My c-section was Thursday at 6:30 and I went home Sunday morning. They would have let me go home Saturday night, but I had to stay at least 48 hours after the c-section and I did not want to try to go home and take care of a baby that late in the day.

April 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM
MREzMommy122807's Avatar Veteran
I stayed 5 days but they kept me an extra day just to make sure everything was fine since i had a lot of blood loss..so i'd say expect a 4-5 day hospital stay.
EDD: 6/30/2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search