Can I request to be put to sleep during my c-section?

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh YEah, I had forgotten about the vomiting. My tummy doesn't handle general anesthesia well, and vomiting and vomiting and vomiting for hours after having had surgery on your gut is lets say "very unpleasant"

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

February 6th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I talked to my dr about it and he wasn't too keen on the idea lol. He said they'll put me to sleep if the other options don't work or if I still feel too anxious. We'll see. He made some almost convincing points, but I'm not all the way there yet. I've been put under before and had no bad reactions too it. It actually felt like I had just awaken from my best sleep ever.

February 6th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Super Mommy
My doctor said he'd only do it in an emergency because the drugs make the baby sleepy, which isn't a good thing.

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
February 6th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
the only person who can really answer this is your doctor - I would imagine that different doctors & different hospitals, have varying policies regarding something like this... I know that local anaesthesia is considered safer than a general, but that's not to say they won't consider it on a case by case basis...

February 7th, 2010, 08:04 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy710 View Post
Well, I talked to my dr about it and he wasn't too keen on the idea lol. He said they'll put me to sleep if the other options don't work or if I still feel too anxious. We'll see. He made some almost convincing points, but I'm not all the way there yet. I've been put under before and had no bad reactions too it. It actually felt like I had just awaken from my best sleep ever.
You suck! just kidding.. I feel so horrid after going under.

February 8th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thats really weird... They put me under for my emerg. c section, but they said DH could still be in the room if he wanted to be...
They put me to sleep because as soon as they mentioned a c section I went into full panic mode, and I couldn't stop shaking or crying... but its weird that they would allow my DH in the OR with me while asleep, and they won't anywhere else?

On a side note, they had to put DS on life support for a few hours, but they let DH see him and hold him while in the incubator... so, DH was in the NICU to make the decisions I couldn't... it also took them a LONG time to wake me up...
February 11th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I actually spoke with my midwife the other day. She said that when we make the appointment for my scheduled c-section, that I can speak with the anesthesiologist and discuss being put completely under. She said the end decision would be up to them but she didn't see that it would be a problem. She also explained that when you're put completey under, there's a sense of urgency to get the baby out as it can affect the baby if it takes too long. I hope this information helps any other women out there who are curious because it seems that newmommy already got the information she needed . Best of luck to everyone that is expecting!!
February 14th, 2010, 03:28 PM
mrschamberlain's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was also given conscious sedation when we all realized my epidural wasn't working and I wasn't numb. To this day, I still am mad about it because I really wanted to see my son and hear him cry for the first time. My DH and doctor said I was looking when they held him up for the first time, but I don't remember anything.

It's good you got to talk to your doctor about it. I personally haven't heard of anyone requesting to be put to sleep, but I guess it all just depends on your doctor considering it can be dangerous.
Angie-wife to Justin, mom to Kaeden, and TTC #2
October 17th, 2011, 11:40 PM
LondonAndAthensMommy's Avatar Chillin' in Mommywood ;)
Send a message via MSN to LondonAndAthensMommy
i also want to opt for being completely out for this c-section lol.. i wonder if they will allow it..

October 18th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I'd really like to know how it went as this in quite an old thread!! What'd you decide?!
October 20th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
^^i ended being awake and the c-section itself wasn't so bad, but it went terribly wrong a few hours later. I don't want to scare anyone since my situation was kinda rare, so I won't go into detail.

Last edited by newmommy710; October 20th, 2011 at 07:48 PM.
January 22nd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Hey i can answer your question 100%,i am due in may this is my third pregnancy and gonna be my third c-section,i am in the same boat i am terrified to be awake ,i do not want a spinal,my doctor told me that being put to sleep,is NOT anymore harmful to me than a spinal,but it is harder on baby since they to will be put to sleep,so he said they would have to rush a little faster to get baby out to wake him or her,i am still considering it,since with my last one i had a massive panic and they gave me nothing until after he was out,good luck to you!
February 11th, 2012, 09:57 AM
mommys munchkin's Avatar Veteran
I was gonna ask about local anaesthesia but I got the answers here. Am due next week via cs and am terrified of anaesthesia. I did general the first time and it I thought it was ok and I was overly exhausted to think about it anyway. So am scared that something might go wrong with local leave alone the sensations.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search