Can I request to be put to sleep during my c-section?

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi all,
I'm new to this section. I pregnant with my first and due in July. I'm having a c-section b/c I have a tumor blocking my cervix.

Anyhow, I really don't want to be awake for my c-section. Can I request to be put to sleep while they do it? I don't see that point of being awake for it. I will only get to see the baby for a few minutes. I'm really afraid of getting the shot in the spin and feeling the "pressure". I've been through enough with this pregnancy and don't want to go through the things I mentioned above.

Thanks
January 29th, 2010, 10:40 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
having had general anesthesia for a c/s I wouldn't recommend it. If I had been awake, my hubby would have been able to be in the room, I would have heard his first cry.

And been able to give instructions to DH not to let his mother hold the baby before I did.

We didn't get that "first family photo".

When I was waking up I was disoriented and didn't believe the baby they were showing me was mine.

It is horrible to go to sleep pregnant and wake up not.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So your DH couldn't be in the room b/c you were put under?
The other things aren't really a bid concern for me.
January 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM
your support person can not be in the room when you are put under - it is a much more dangerous situation to be in.

every time you get general anesthesia there is a risk you won't wake up.

Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 29th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your opinion, but I wanted to know if this is a request that can be honored.
January 29th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I have no idea what your doctors policy is.

you asked if you can request to be put under. - sure you can request it! I have no idea if your doctor will honor that or not.

I also gave a first hand account of what it is like to be put under general anesthesia for a c/s.

so you are welcome

January 29th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Anyone else? I don't really want to know if someone thinks it's a good or bad idea. I want to know if anyone ever made such a request (or know someone that has) and had it honored. I just didn't know if it was unheard of to request such a thing.
January 29th, 2010, 07:38 PM
-Jen-'s Avatar Veteran
I asked if I could be put out with my last one as I didn't wanna go thru the spinal again...I think they would have honored my request if I had really insisted...but my dr talked me out of it saying my hubby wouldn't be allowed in and I really wanted him in there cuz I knew he was excited to see Jaiden and make sure I was ok..so I caved.

January 31st, 2010, 04:58 AM
I was put completely out with my first c-section. I had received an epidural and pushed for 3 and a half hours but the head of the department concluded that a baby will never fit because my pelvic bone is too small (or something to that effect). When they brought me in for my c-section, my epidural had worn off and I could feel what was going on. When they rolled me over for a spinal, they lost my son's heartbeat and had to put me completely out. I didn't mind being put out and waking up later. Although, I did have a similar feeling like Ami N said, as if the baby wasn't mine. I am now pregnant with my second child and already know I will need another c-section and was actually wondering the same thing - can you request to be put out? I'm terrified of feeling the pressure and hearing what will be going on in the OR. I want to be put completely under for this pregnancy as well. I have an appointment with my midwife on the 8th of February and I'm going to ask her if it's possible to request that but I thought I would check online ahead of time. If you haven't found out by then if it's possible, I will reply with what my midwife says.
January 31st, 2010, 09:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
hmm, I know I replied to this thread, weird. Oh well!

Thanks you two for sharing. I talked it over with my husband and he really wants to be in the room, so I'm going to give it more thought. We go to the doctor on Wednesday, so I'm going to discuss with him as well.

January 31st, 2010, 09:40 AM
n/a
Hey!

I had a traumatic birth that ended in c section, and I was not awake for my section. I was when they wheeled me in, but then I started freaking out or something, so they gave me a little something. An anesthesiologist told me (not mine, a different one), that there are drugs they often use to put the mom into a sleep. IT is NOT general anesthesia, as you are breathing on your own. Anyhoo, it bothered me at first since I missed the first cry, but I was freaking out apparently, and would not have tolerated the sensations very well (already wasn't). I was surprised when I woke up and it was over, but we still got our first family photo in recovery and I got to hold and nurse him.

So talk to your doc about it, and when you are going in for your section, mention how the sensation freak you out. They don't want a mama freaking out, so they may give you a little something to relax you into a sleep like they did me. GL!

And my DH was in the room. He took the pictures of me snoozing away during the section
January 31st, 2010, 06:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was completely put out for an emergency c-section and DH got to come in the room once she was already out but getting cleaned up. He really didn't like it and neither did I and it still bothers both of us. It really isn't a good feeling to wake up not pregnant and I also couldn't believe my baby was mine. Plus I can't remember much at all about those first days and I think it's because of the anesthesia. I have to ask DH to tell me the story about when she was born. I wouldn't reccomend it, but I don't see why your doctor wouldn't honor your wishes.
February 1st, 2010, 05:29 PM
hannah79's Avatar A little bit wicked
I might request it for this section. I have had two so far. With the first, I had an epidural. I have scoliosis--but my spine is rotated and instead of curved. It took over 4 1/2 hrs. and nearly 20 tries to get the epi to work. With number 2, I had a spinal that didn't take. I felt the cutting and everything. It was horribly miserable. I don't think that I can go through it again. Hopefully they can figure something out that so I can be awake, but if it comes down to it, I don't mind being knocked out.

February 1st, 2010, 05:51 PM
Courtney_79's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Courtney_79
Talk to your doctor or maybe get in touch with someone from anesthesiology and ask them what they can give you that isnt general anesthesia. When I went in for my csection, I started freaking out when the doctor was cutting me, so they put gave me something that made me sedated. I wasnt out completely, but I dont remember the pressure/tugging/etc. I did snap out of it as soon as I heard my baby cry.

Whatever it was allowed for my DH to be in the room I hope you get the answers you are looking for
February 2nd, 2010, 04:22 AM
kristianna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think if you have a genuine desire to not be awake during the c-section your doctor will honor your wishes.

I had an emergency C-section with a spinal. I felt it a little but still personally appreciated being awake to hear my baby cry and being able to look into my DH's eyes the whole time.

Thank you Vicki for the BEEautiful siggie!

February 2nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great question. I was asking myself that same question. I like the snooze through the C-section and DH is still allowed in the room. I will ask my Dr if that is a possibility.
February 4th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
I'm not sure if they would honor that request since it puts you in greater danger(which is a risk they will sued in their minds). It depends on the doctor and if he/she is willing to take that risk.

I have panic disorder and I made it through without freaking out. I even started feeling again when they were closing me up. The anticipation was worse than the actual event. I didn't think the 'pressure' was that bad, and it didn't scare/bother me at all. I'm sure everyone is different but I think it helps to hear others experiences.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
February 4th, 2010, 11:53 AM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a spinal with both of mine and honestly I never felt any tugging etc. After the baby is out and you've seen the baby then they give you a shot of something to help you relax and it makes you a bit sleepy and in my case I sort of heard the Drs. talking but what they were saying, no clue. I remember asking the anesthesiologist about the baby and his answers that he was fine etc. but I don't really remember any of what they were doing etc. You would just have to ask your dr. as I'm sure each one is different.

February 4th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToJack View Post
Hey!

I had a traumatic birth that ended in c section, and I was not awake for my section. I was when they wheeled me in, but then I started freaking out or something, so they gave me a little something. An anesthesiologist told me (not mine, a different one), that there are drugs they often use to put the mom into a sleep. IT is NOT general anesthesia, as you are breathing on your own. Anyhoo, it bothered me at first since I missed the first cry, but I was freaking out apparently, and would not have tolerated the sensations very well (already wasn't). I was surprised when I woke up and it was over, but we still got our first family photo in recovery and I got to hold and nurse him.

So talk to your doc about it, and when you are going in for your section, mention how the sensation freak you out. They don't want a mama freaking out, so they may give you a little something to relax you into a sleep like they did me. GL!

And my DH was in the room. He took the pictures of me snoozing away during the section

It's called conscious sedation - often a combo of Versed and Fentanyl. You are technically awake but you aren't mentally aware and it causes retrograde amnesia so you "forget" what's going on. During my c-section I started feeling the doctor cut into my lower right belly and I freaked out, the thing I heard was my anesthesiologist say "Versed" and the next thing I knew I was in la-la land having the most amazing hallucinations. The next conscious thought I had was when I saw my DH sitting next to me holding our DD and all I could think was "who is this man and why is he showing me that baby?" I felt like my eyes were crossing and I had to really try to focus my vision, it took me a half hour or more to come back to my senses completely.

To the OP - you could ask your doctor about conscious sedation and see what they think. I'm not sure if they'd still want to give you a spinal but if so maybe you wouldn't notice so much if you receive the conscious sedation.

Good luck.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
February 4th, 2010, 03:32 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy710 View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to this section. I pregnant with my first and due in July. I'm having a c-section b/c I have a tumor blocking my cervix.

Anyhow, I really don't want to be awake for my c-section. Can I request to be put to sleep while they do it? I don't see that point of being awake for it. I will only get to see the baby for a few minutes. I'm really afraid of getting the shot in the spin and feeling the "pressure". I've been through enough with this pregnancy and don't want to go through the things I mentioned above.

Thanks
I know you didn't ask for opinions, but I wanted to share my experience with general, and I would feel bad if I didn't say anything. Basically it makes me really nauseous to the point of throwing up for hours after I wake up and groggy for like a whole day. I was awake for the c-section but I've had other surgeries. Maybe you can ask your doctor about something for anxiety. I had something prior to another surgery and I didn't give a s*** anymore about it.

Ultimately do what you think will give you the best experience, but keep in mind that general doesn't mean you're going to wake up as if from a nap. It really sucks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search