Went to ER-hemorrhaged and Blood Clot in Uterus- Very Upset!!

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2010, 10:14 AM
nyc_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi,

I posted this in my DDC and in the c section grief stories so I hope its ok to post here too. I am really sort of desperate to see if anyone has gone through this before and very nervous. Any help is very appreciated!

-------------------------------

Hi Ladies,

I really need some support right now. You may remember that when I had my c section on Feb 18th the epidural stopped working so I started convulsing with pain on the operating table. So, my birth with ryan was really traumatic because I was in extreme blood curdling pain.

Well, last night I started have contractions-yes, 2.5 weeks after Ryan's birth. I thought it was gas at first. Having never had labor pains before as I had a scheduled c section, I didnt know what contractions felt like but then the pain was radiating every few minutes from my abdomen to my lower back. So, it felt like what I was having is what I read contractions to be like.

I was in so much pain I took a percocet left over from my c section. The next thing I know I feel this gush of like a pitcher full of fluid rush out of my body. I stood up and told DH I just peed my pants. I went to the bathroom and it wasnt urine it was blood!! A ton of blood -splashed down my entire legs. It soaked through my pants, my shoes, on the floor in a big pool on the toilet when I sat down. It looked like a crime scene. Well, I am also severely anemic with 5 blood transfusions during the pregnancy so I screamed for DH to call 911 as I thought I might die from blood loss.

Went to the ER and an ultrasound shows I have a blood clot near my c section incision. My EMT told me he thought its because my ob didnt suction out the blood properly after my c section. So, at the ER they gave me pitocin to try to have me contract and pass the clot. I was also given morphine but it was so painful for four hours of contractions one after the other and no further blood passing. So, they sent me home.

Then I take two steps out of the cab in front of my apartment at 4:00 am coming home and I hemorrhage again! On the steps outside! My pants are soaked with blood, my shoes, the sidewalk and I had to walk through the lobby with the amount of blood soaking my pants as if I poured a pitcher full of blood down my butt.

So, now I am home, sleeping on the couch with garbage bags to protect the cushions from my bleeding. My ob gave me medicine I have to take for 16 hours to help pass the clot. I get an ultrasound on tues and if I havent passed all of the blood in my uterus by then I need a D & C.

Ladies, I am so upset. I know D&Cs carry risk of preterm birth on future pregnancies. In the meantime I cant breastfeed because of the meds and poor Ryan has been throwing up formula. Poor Ryan has been on the slow side to regain weight so I have been feeding so aggressively to get him where he should be and now its like he will probably lose weight again because I have to pump and dump, and so much formula aggravates his stomach. What else could go wrong??

Plus, I just keep worrying about possible complications for future pregnancies. I want more kids so this is all scaring me so much. I feel like a wreck and I am trying to stay positive but its hard. I had such a traumatic birth with ryan with the failure of the epi and three days of intense pain after his birth, not to mention my high risk pregnancy with blood transfusions to where I didnt even know if I could carry a baby to term. I just feel so overwhelmed.

So, please please keep me and Ryan in your thoughts and prayers that I wont need a D &C and that this wont affect future pregnancies.

Also, has anyone heard of this before? I had Ryan on Feb 18th. I know its a postpartum hemorrhage but its so odd to me it happened this long after I had the scheduled c section. Also, if I didnt mention it the clot is located near my incision.

-Erica

March 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
one of the ladies in my PR had one 4 weeks later I think it was? I dont know if she had a section or vaginal birth though.

March 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Gobaby1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm soo sorry this happened to you!
I don't have much to offer other than support however...
A girlfriend of mine just had to have a d&c for the same thing, she's ok. She has had to work to get her milk supply back up and she did it!
I know many people who have had a d&c for one reason or another and ALL have had healthy & pregnancies.
Try to stay positive through this tough time, I'll be thinking of you.

March 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM
-Jen-'s Avatar Veteran
Awww wow I'm so sorry you're going thru such a horrible time..you & your lil one...I'm sorry I can't offer much...my own experiences weren't nearly as traumatic ...the only thing I can tell you is I'm on c-section #4 in Sep...During my Ectopic in 2006 they did a d&c I think not sure if it was that or the other one...I know they inserted a tube a suctioned the walls of my uterus..gave me methotrexate <sp> and told me to wait 3mos b4 ttc again..4mos later I got pregnant with my 3rd daughter

I can't believe the epi wore off on you like that..that is horrible .... with my 1st it was emer. so I was put out...with the other 2 I had a spinal...the 2nd 1 was pretty good ..the 3rd one wore off during like the last 2 stitches..which wasn't bad...anyway...hope the rest of your pregnancies and births go much much better for you!

March 8th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I am so sorry that you've had such a traumatic experience - both with your c/s & with the hemorrhaging & your blood clot!

I haven't had experience with it myself, but I hope you are able to pass the blood clot on your own, so you don't need a D&C...

I know it won't mean a lot, but I had a D&C in 2001 & it hasn't had an effect on future pregnancies

March 9th, 2010, 07:13 PM
KimberlyD0
sorry its been so tramatic for you

1) contractions after a planned section are not out of the norm. Most women don't feel them becaue they're usually not as strong as normal one. More like braxtons.

2) I hemeraged 3 days after my first. Hemerages are a risk of sections. They can happen within days or even weeks later. I also hemeraged when my first cycle returned at 3 months with DD#1.

3) Blood clots are also a risk of a section and are not always a sign of the OB making a mistake. Some women are more pron to them then other. The tramayou had in the spinal ending probably did contribute in part to it as well.

4) I've had 4 D&C's do to misscarrage before my girls and have had 2 normal healthy births. Neither were premiture labors.

HTH

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search