nursing/pumping after having an infection from a c-section

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
I had an unplanned c-section february 28th and i tried nursing for awhile until the doctor asked me to supplement with formula. about a week after my c-section it became severely infected and i also had an infection in my uterus from my water being broke for 15 hours before delivery. My doctor treated me with 2 IV antibiotics and i just finished yesterday. My milk came in but im only able to pump 5-10 ML from each breast pumping every 2-3 hours, and ive continuously have been pumping since she was born basically. I was just wondering if any one had been through this or could have some advice. I eat healthy and drink plenty of water, i feel like im doing everything right....but i cant get more than half an ounce from pumping.
March 23rd, 2010, 01:53 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I had a hard time getting enough milk with Gaby, and by the time she was 2 weeks old, she was fully formula fed....

I would perhaps post on the pumping board, and see if anyone there has some tips for you?????

March 25th, 2010, 11:37 PM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
I am a pumping mother, and I know how hard it is! I agree with Emma - The ladies on the pumping board are great, and might be able to help you!
My beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!

March 26th, 2010, 08:32 PM
SamuelsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pumping does not remove milk as effectively as baby. Are you able to get her to nurse? That's the best way to get your supply to where it needs to be, nursing her on demand. Her nursing sends the signals to your body that it needs to make more milk. Oatmeal is a natural thing that you can eat to help with supply too. I had to supplement with my oldest because he was a big baby and my supply wasn't adequate at first. Nurse, then feed formula after nursing both sides. After a couple months I was able to exclusively nurse without supplementing anymore.

March 27th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to Samuelsmommy re. pumping not being as effective as nursing. The baby does a much better job of stimulating letdown than any pump can, particularly in the beginning when it is such a supply and demand 'game'. I guess though if your baby is getting formula too, then it may not be as hungry when nursing - I don't know enough about b'feeding and ff at the same time but I hope you get some answers to help.

Good luck!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
March 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would definitely go ask on the nursing and/or pumping boards, but it sounds like the pumping and supplementing is the likely cause for low supply.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search