Flat Pelvic Bone and c-section rate?

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I was told at my first 8 week appointment that I have a flat pelvic bone and that because of that, I have about a 50% chance of needing a c-section because there might not be enough room for the baby to come out. I am now 30 weeks along and my doctors haven't said anything else to me about it. I am curious if anyone on here had this same problem and ended up having a c-section? I have searched the internet and have not really found much information about flat pelvic bones.

Thanks!
May 13th, 2010, 08:43 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Well there's no such thing as a truly "flat" pelvic bone. I'm guessing what they meant was that you have a platypelloid pelvis. I completely disagree with the assertion that your c/s risk is 50/50. The most common reason for a c/s with a platypelloid pelvis is transverse presentation (ie your baby is sideways). But they would DEFINITELY have mentioned to you by now if the baby was sideways. And by now if the baby is vertex, it's prooooooooobably going to stay that way. It may flip to breech and back again. But the odds of flipping to transverse are pretty unlikely.

If you want to deliver vaginally, your pushing position could be very important. The traditional lithotomy position (flat on your back, legs up) will make it very difficult for a baby to navigate a platypelloid pelvic outlet. But if you can find a practitioner who will support upright or hands and knees pushing, you will have a MUCH easier time. That being said, lots of women with a platypelloid pelvis deliver babies successfully in any position - there is however an increase in vacuum assisted delivery in the lithotomy position.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 13th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the information. All my doctor would really say is that they wouldn't know until I went into labor. I am also pretty petite, about 4'11" and my hips are narrow. They said something about looking at the size of the baby's head later on, but they haven't said anything about that recently and they haven't checked the baby's position since my 20 week u/s.
May 13th, 2010, 12:59 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All they can really do is estimate the size of the baby, and even then it's tough to tell because when your body goes into labor it naturally stretches your pelvis beyond the normal size. I think it's good to know going into it that it may be more difficult for your baby to navigate its way out, because then you can make sure that you labor in the optimal environment. ie... avoid an induction (because your body won't be ready), move freely during labor (to help the baby move in the best position and open up your pelvis), and avoid an early epidural (because that keeps you in the lithotomy position). It would also be important to find a provider who supports you in this if you are serious about attempting a vaginal birth.

I wish I had more info for you. As far as I know my pelvis is in okay shape but my dd had her head cocked to the side so it just wasn't a good fit that way. I've done a lot of research since then so I can have the best chance at a vbac.

Good luck with whatever happens! And congrats!

May 13th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I don't know anything about it, sorry! Perhaps discuss it with your ob/mw at your next appointment?

April 18th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was pretty much told the same thing you were. I had a cesection with my first pregancy. I labored all day and pushed for two hours and was never really told why i needed a cesection other than my daughter wasnt coming down and they thought she was a little sideways. For this pregnancy (my second) I am considering a vbac but was told my pelvis was flat so i am not a good canidate. However my doctor is going to do a us at 38 weeks and another pelvic exam and see then if they think the baby will come down. You prolly dont want to wait until 38 weeks but maybe your doctor will do what mine is and reevaluate you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search