My rewarding csection (long)

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Mommy to Lil Miss Boss
Hi Ladies,

I do not post here normally , but I wanted to share my birth experience here because I know some mamas come here looking for info on c-section births.

I want to share my experience in hopes of shedding some positive light on c-section births. Many people feel like a c-section is a death sentence but I am living proof that this is not always the case. A c-section birth can be just as special and rewarding as a vaginal birth.
This was my 2nd c-section, the first was an emergency and this one was planned.

My emergency section was NOTHING like my planned section, and I wish I would have been more prepared or armed with the knowledge that I have now

Enjoy and thank you for reading

Birthdate - 5/11/11

5/10/11

I had to reflect back on my feelings the day before I had Niyah because the feelings were so intense and it made me appreciate her birth so much more.

So the night before I was so nervous that the diet restriction of no food or liquid after 12am didn't really bother me because, honestly the way
I was feeling it would all come up anyway. I was just a ball of nerves, trying to busy myself by doing chores around the house and making sure I packed all that I
had everything needed for the hospital. DH was nervous too! This NEVER happens....he is always cool no matter what is going on around him him nervous made me nervous
LOL! I was worried about the anesthesia not working and my having to be put under general. Let me tell you, the possibility of me missing another birth just destroyed me
I missed my son being born and did not see him until the next day....not cool AT ALL. I was hoping and praying that my spinal would suffice and
all would be fine. I also had crazy thoughts running through my head like "What if I don't make it?" I would be leaving 2 children behind. Yeah
I was SERIOUSLY freaking out. The clock struck 12 am and I finally dozed off and got a non restful 3 hrs of sleep, so I was up, too early to got to
the hospital, couldn't have breakfast, nothing left to pack.....so I laid in bed watching The Golden Girls until about 5:00am when my husband's alarm
clock went off for us to start the day today.

5/11/11
It was such a gloomy overcast day, nothing like the weathermen forcasted! LOL! We made it to the hospital at around 7:20am, I spoke to my mother in law who wished me well before
the surgery and we headed into the hospital to check in. My mom and brother met us at the hospital where I got settled in the triage room, where I was fashionably wonderful in my booty open hospital gown LOL! My IV was put in and the fetal heart monitor was hooked up. I was soooooo
EXTREMELY nervous and couldn't believe I was finally going to meet my little girl! I was crying a mixture of fear, anxiety and happiness.
At around 8:15am the anesthesiologist came in to explain how the spinal was administered and asked if I had any questions, which I didn't.
Next my Dr. came in to introduce herself to my family and to ask if I had any questions.....I must have looked like a deer caught in headlights
because she started rubbing my arm telling me not to worry that everything would be fine, she made me feel a little better. My Dr. understood
that although this is my 2nd section, it's really like my first mentally because I was not awake for the birth of the my son and missed the first
24 hrs of his life because I was still unconscience from the general anesthesia. She understood that I wanted to witness the birth of my little
girl more than anything.
Now here is where things started moving so fast! My c-section was scheduled for 9:30am EST and I was hoping that we would be not be bumped.
So at around 8:45am my nurse came into the room with an announcement and I swore she was going to confirm that surgery had been pushed back!
But NO!! She said "We're going in now" I swear I almost fainted LOL! All of those feelings of fear, anxiety and excitement were suddenly magnified
10X.......I was getting ready to meet Miss Niyah!!!

My husband and I put on our blue shower caps and we walked out of the triage room with my mom, son and brother. I gave everyone hugs and kisses before
leaving them to make my way to the OR. I swear it felt like the longest walk of my life! Cold and long! My husband and I kissed each other
once we get to the doors of the OR, as we departed and he whispered to me that he loved me, everything would be fine and that he would see me in a few
(again I was crying LOL)

Inside the OR
There seemed like so many people in the OR, I remember. There was the anesthesiologist, 2 nurses for me my Dr. another assisting Dr and 2 nurses for
Niyah. Everything was so bright and sterile looking in there and as I sat on the operating table I caught a glimpse of the operating tools
bleh! Not good, so I immediately diverted my attention to the monitors because honestly I didn't want to see the tools being used to cut me open.
So now the anesthesiologist walks over to me and instructs me to curl my back like I'm making a "C", hold on to the nurse standing in front
of me and "DON'T MOVE!" First I felt a cold liquid being wiped on my back to sanitize the area, next I felt a pinch which was the numbing medication
and lastly the spinal is started which I didn't feel the actual needle go in, but all of a sudden my legs felt really hot which is normal. Done!
My fear about the spinal was confronted and over! At this point the nurses help lay me down on the table because I could not feel my legs.
This was the strangest sensation EVER! I tried to lift my legs but couldn't but the worse feeling was the pins and needles in my legs which everyone
confirmed was normal.
Now I'm laying on my back and my nurse comes to check on me every couple of minutes, and I swear as soon as she says "Let me know if you have
any discomfort like nausea or anything" I threw up! On my back, out through my mouth and nose (sooooo gross) Let me tell you it is horrible
to need to throw up and can't move to be able to do so. The nurse came over with a bowl and suctioned my mouth, while the anesthesiologist
put something in my IV to take away the nausea.....which worked INSTANTLY!! My Dr. then asked me "Can you feel that" I felt nothing.

Showtime

At 9:14am the blue drape went up to sheild me from the chest down and my husband was brought into the OR to sit beside me.
He was soooo nervous but tried to play it cool like he wasn't LOL! I knew he was because he asked me how to find a particular
app on his phone.....Really? LOL! He said that he was just trying to talk to me to pass the time during surgery. My Dr. never announced
when she started to cut and I don't know exactly when she started but all of a sudden she said "Oh BTW I've started" LOL!
I'm telling you so weird to be awake during surgery and not feel a thing! So my husband and I continued to talk about different
things like who we think Niyah will look like, how much hair we think she'll have etc...
At around 9:25 I asked if they had gotten to Niyah yet and they said they were almost there. The next thing I knew My Dr.
said I will feel lots of pressure and that it was her pulling my baby girl out. OMG the pressure was incredible, it
felt like my breath was being taken away while someone was sitting on my chest!! I hated that part of the surgery! Next, one
of the nurses came over to ask for our camera to take pics of Niyah being pulled out and while they cleaned her off.

At 9:29am 5/11/11 I heard my baby girl cry for the first time and it was sweetest sound you could possibly imagine!
They dangled baby girl over the curtain so I could see her and took her over to the other side of the room to get
cleaned up.
I was elated and so relieved!

At this point my husband went over to the warmer to get a look at Niyah and I was laying there waiting to see her while the Dr.
stitched me up. A few minutes later my husband emerged with Niyah in his arms looking like he'd won the lottery! Priceless
smile all over his face. He sat down with Niyah as I kissed her sweet little forehead. Next the lactation consultant/nurse took Niyah
from my husbands arms unwrapped her so that we could have some skin to skin contact and guess what? My little Niyah did the
breast crawl right there in the OR! My baby girl was hungry and immediately began looking for my breast....it brought tears
to my eyes that I got to experience an as natural as possible cesarean section. And to sweeten the pot...they didn't even have
my birth plan, these wonderful nurses did this all on their own!!
My baby girl weighed in at 7.5 lbs and a petite 19.5 inches, is the love of our lives and complete our family!

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
June 5th, 2011, 11:10 PM
mmten7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds amazing! I was in a similar boat with an emergency c/s the first time, and the 2nd one planned.

I too...feel that a c/s birth can be an amazing experience. Even though my first was an emergency...still a great experience.

I posted my story....and the video of my daughter's birth in the c/s birth stories.

Thanks for sharing! Your daughter is beautiful!

Thank you so much mylene169 for my awesome siggy!

June 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing! Your baby is precious and I love her name

June 6th, 2011, 04:31 PM
KCMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for sharing that. I seriously teared up reading that. I pray like crazy that my next c section is similar to that!! What a beautiful story!!!

Thank you Julka for my beautifully, perfect siggy!!

June 6th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Mommy to Lil Miss Boss
Thank you ladies! I hope everyone can have a amazing c-section experience

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search