Emergency vs. Scheduled

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2011, 01:23 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For those of you who have had both an emergency c-section and a planned c-section, did you find the recovery better with the planned one? How did they compare?

My first c-section was a emergency one as DD wouldn't fit through the birth canal properly. I was so out of it, worn out, and sore everywhere. So I was wondering how much of that is due to the stress of the labor / pushing and how much was due to the actual incision and surgery.

I'm having a planned c-section on Aug. 3rd and I'm trying to get hopeful that it will be a better, more relaxing experience!

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
June 11th, 2011, 09:29 PM
mmten7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My recovery was definitely better with the 2nd than with the first. My first c/s was also an emergency. I wouldn't say the recovery from my first was horrible....but the 2nd was a breeze.

I have a pretty high pain tolerance anyway....but only took my Motrin for pain. I was up walking around as soon as the spinal wore off. I actually felt good and got bored sitting around in the hospital. I was discharged on day 2. I think my butt bone hurt more than anything else from sitting around in the hospital bed. My incision healed within a week...and I was walking 2 miles a day by the end of the 2nd week....slowly of course.

The entire procedure was very relaxed.

They will usually have you arrive about 2 hours before the c/s. You'll be hooked up to the monitor and they will monitor baby for about 30 minutes. They will probably do an u/s just to see where the baby is positioned. During mine....we found out the baby was frank breech...and although I opted for a c/s to have a tubal done, I probably would have needed one anyway.

After the u/s the doc will come in and talk about the spinal. Then...you walk down to the operating room. We laughed and joked with the staff the whole way. They had my husband wait outside the room until the spinal was done....then he came in. So relaxed and easy-peasy!

I entered the OR at 0735, spinal was in and our daughter was born at 0750. I was back in my room....after a tubal by 0820. I have a video of our daughter's birth in the birth stories section on this board. The most annoying thing about everything was my husband and his stupid comments about the smell of my skin burning. He's such a dork!

Good luck!

Thank you so much mylene169 for my awesome siggy!

June 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree - my second (and third) were incredibly easier than my first emergency c-section. I knew what to expect. I wasn't exhausted by a long ultimately pointless labor. During my first I was a mess - I was bawling because I was so upset that I had to have a c-section. During my second...there's just so many ways that it was infinitely better. Good luck with yours!

dd Oct 2006, dd Nov 2007, dd June, 2010, and
DS due Sept 6th, 2011 YAY!!

June 17th, 2011, 07:31 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
I know I didnt ask the question, but thank you this was incredibly helpful ! i have to have a scheduled c-section due to my fake hip and i have been VERY nervous although I still have 5 1/2 months. . But this helped a lot !

June 19th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an easier time the second time around but, that was because I wasn't as sick and of course because I had already had one. I knew what to expect and what my pain levels would be. I was up quicker because I hadn't had the magnesium sulfate the second time and my blood pressure levels had been managed more effectively.
June 26th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Super Mommy
My first c-section wasn't really scheduled, but it wasn't an emergency. I ended up with a c-section after 14 hours of labor with no progress. The epidural gave me a major headache and I was really out of it. With my second, an emergency c-section, they gave me a spinal. I was much more with it and the recovery was much easier.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search