What made you decide on a repeat c/s?

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really really thought I was set on a VBAC but now I'm having a hard time deciding to do a VBAC vs repeat C/S. I was looking at statistics and it was like 4/100,000 moms die with a repeat c/s vs 2/100,000 with a VBAC....but 6/100,000 babies die with a VBAC vs 3/100,000 with a repeat c/s......

So I can do a VBAC and double my baby's risk of dying or I can do a repeat C/S and double my risk of dying......LOSE LOSE SITUATION!! Now part of me is saying C/S is a safer choice because I've been through it before so I don't think I would die....I know that's irrational but my mind is just running me in circles! I'm scared to do a vaginal birth...worried about the pain/recovery and same goes for c/s too! I had pain with my c/s scar all the way up til my son was 1 year old! Not all the time, but man when that searing pain ran through it, it sucked! I keep thinking if I labored and ended up needing a c/s anyways I'd be pissed that I went through labor for nothing and should've just gone in for a c/s looking all pretty and with tons of energy! Ugh, so anyways....it would help me to know what made you ladies decide to do a repeat c/s. What was the deciding factor/s? Any helpful websites or statistics that put you over the edge? Thanks for listening
June 25th, 2011, 04:55 PM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thats exactly why I chose a repeat. I put the baby first, no question.

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
June 26th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Super Mommy
I probably would have tried for VBAC with my 2nd pregnancy, but after finding out it was twins things changed. I ended up having an emergency c-section at 35 weeks. My 2nd c-section was much easier than the first in terms of recovery, so I am glad I had to go with that.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
June 27th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies
June 27th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no choice they said I have cpd and baby won't fit, small pelvis and kids with huge heads

Lucky mother to five!

July 4th, 2011, 06:31 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The first time I went late and had to be induced. I also have GD which made my daughter larger. She didn't fit. I read about VBAC's this time, but ultimately I do believe it would be the same outcome (an emergency c-section after the baby not fitting) so I figure I may as well bypass that part of the whole process. If we could have done an induction at like 38 weeks I might have tried but inductions aren't recommended after having a cs

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
July 10th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Veteran
There are risks to any delivery. Personally, I went through labor only to have an emergency c/s anyhow. So the thought of doing that again in such a high stress situation is not something I am interested in doing. And recovering from labor and a c/s on top of that was just BAD! Then TBH, there is a risk of your incision rupturing during labor and that would be a VERY VERY bad situation. No matter how small the chance is, there is still a chance. I would rather have my OB in control of the situation while doing the c/s and be able to handle the problems as they arise rather than scrambling because something horrible happened.

July 12th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Veteran
I tried a VBAC for my DD and I labored for 14 hours before the doctor finally agreed to do a c-section. It sucked. I know the only reason he agreed was my heart stopped, and I woke up on the way to the OR being told I could have my way. I have had 2 more c-sections since my DD and each time, it does get easier. I know what to expect and what I can control. I meet with the surgeons and the nurses ahead of time and let them know my expectations.

July 13th, 2011, 01:53 AM
mmten7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first I went through a very long labor process and ended up with a c/s anyway. I didn't want to experience that again. I also wanted to have a tubal done....and wasn't willing to come back 6 week PP just to have surgery and need to be fit and healthy to take care of a newborn. I just assumed do it all at once.

I'm so glad I did. The recovery with a scheduled c/s is soooo much easier. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I was able to manage my pain with just the Motrin. I was also up and moving within hours of having my daughter. I never regretted my decision....and the quick and speedy recovery just validated everything for me. Good luck with your decision!

Thank you so much mylene169 for my awesome siggy!

July 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always just assumed that I would have to have a repeat c/s because my daughter was stuck at a -2 position and was an average size baby at 7lbs4oz. Out of curiosity I asked my OBGYN his opinion on having a vbac during my last appt and he told me that my pelvis wasn't big enough to handle a baby bigger than 5.5 pounds. Since I'm expecting my next baby to be at least 7 pounds I'm going in for a scheduled c/s.

July 24th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was in exactly the same boat as you...down to every decision. then it was taken away from me because my blood pressure went up again and they had to take him at 37 weeks. The second C section for me was a breeze compared to the first and I'm kinda glad the decision was out of my hands and all went as well as it did!
August 5th, 2011, 10:28 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
dd i was induced and those usually end in csection.
ds he was breech..i was attempting vbac but the dr refused to deliver him vaginally breech so i was screwed.
this one there are zero midwives/OB within four hours that allow vba2c so its more for convience since we cant afford childcare for however long ill be in labor if we drove 4 hours away...with the csection baby will be born and hubby will go home to the other two kids while im in the hospital with baby.
August 7th, 2011, 03:31 PM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
The first time I had a long labor with minimal progression and then due to non reassuring fetal heart rate I had an emergency c section. My first recovery was awful, I couldn't see baby right away due to her breathing issues and it was just hard. I didn't want to labor forever again and end up with major surgery. The second c section was a BREEZE. I did have a reaction to my spinal the section time and spent the first time vomiting, itching and sweating out 20 pounds. But in terms of pain it has been minimal. It was a much much easier recovery.

\
August 15th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmten7 View Post
With my first I went through a very long labor process and ended up with a c/s anyway. I didn't want to experience that again. ...
I'm so glad I did. The recovery with a scheduled c/s is soooo much easier. ...
same here. Some days I wish I had tried again, but the doctor (and my heart) said I'd end up with another long labor and emergency c-section.

dd Oct 2006, dd Nov 2007, dd June, 2010, and
DS due Sept 6th, 2011 YAY!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search