Anybody done it without the drape?

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2011, 11:54 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I'd like a VBAC with this baby but I know thats not guaranteed and I REFUSE to have another awful experience like last time. One thing I hated was the drape. I would like to see my baby born. Have her delivered to my chest like a normal birth. So I'm trying to find out if anybody has tried it without a drape? How much surgery could you see (cuz I'm not crazy and have no desire to see inside my guts)? Any other suggestions for modifications to the "standard c/s" to make it a more positive experience?

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
July 13th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Veteran
Our hospital will not allow it-they won't even allow mirrors or for my DH to stand where he can see. Too many dads pass out they say. I don't know how they can lay the baby on your chest immediately after as you have have all the monitors attached to your chest and ivs and what not.

I recommend going in and talking to the surgeon and the nurses, tell them of your past experience and see if they have some suggestions. This made our last experience easier.

July 14th, 2011, 12:38 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I was reading online that they can attach the monitors to your back and put the pulse-ox on your toe instead of your finger. I wasn't overly worried about the IV since most women in the US deliver with an IV. That's a shame that your hospital won't even allow Dad to see. It's his baby, not theirs. I hate hospitals.

Tough for me to talk to my surgeon bc I don't have one. I use a midwifery practice. VBAC patients get to talk to the backup OB at like 28 weeks but that seems too late to me to be making decisions about providers. Maybe they will agree to see me sooner or something. I keep hearing from my mom (an OB) "they can make you do anything. You can always refuse" but that seems a lot easier said than done.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
July 15th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Veteran
We checked out our hospital at 20 weeks with our last DS. Simply walked in, told them it was just lucky that my husband and I have the same day off and asked to speak to the attending OB. My husband and I work opposite schedules and sometimes don't see each for a month at a time, sometimes I wonder how I keep getting pregnant!

July 19th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our hospital would not allow the c/s without the drape...they said that they need Mom to be calm and lie still, and the drape makes that happen. They did allow my DH to stand up and look over to see everything (he was not allowed to take pics of that, though) so he could tell me everything they were doing. I really liked that...it made him feel more involved, and it helped to have him be able to tell me what they were doing when I could hear scissors cutting It was also priceless to see his face and hear him when he could actually see his little girl...I'll never forget how excited he sounded when he was describing her for the first time.

I wanted a natural birth and had to have the c/s because Claire was breech and wedged in tight...I expected to have lots of issues about the c/s. Surprisingly I have been fine with it, but I agree that it would be nice to actually see your baby being born. There's sort of a disconnect when they cover you up and then hand you a baby 10 minutes later...I missed that connection of watching her leave me and enter the world. I'd definitely talk to your hospital about it...sometimes the nurses know what is possible even if you don't get to talk to the doc.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

July 24th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can ask for a mirror and FYI a lot of the OR's have a mirror on the ceiling anyway. I could see them prepping me and I glanced a few times at the surgery itself although I didn't really want to see. I like watching the surgery, just not on myself lol.

See if the hospital you would be delivering at would be willing to not tie your arms down and would put baby to your chest immediately. Some hospitals are more willing than others to allow you some freedom. My son was born and they whisked him away but, My hands weren't tied down and he was brought to me quickly where I could touch him, etc. I got him pretty quickly in the recovery room where I was able to put him skin to skin and nurse him the whole time. That wasn't an option with my first C section for a number of reasons.
August 5th, 2011, 09:30 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
hmm i never knew they could do it without the drape...i never thought to ask though, i dont think id want to see that.
August 7th, 2011, 02:28 PM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
I doubt they'd let you do it here at least without the drape because of sterility issues. My DH was able to watch though and the anesthesiologist was great at explain what everything was to him. My second repeat c section was much more relaxed than my first emergency c section. DH got to hold baby close to me right away and my arms were not tied down. He was able to stay in recovery with us unlike the first time when she was whisked away to the nursery.

\
August 22nd, 2011, 01:48 PM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
Hmm.. I never thought about it. I would think that you should ask and just see what they say. For being an emergency c-section, mine still went pretty well. My arms were strapped down just until they got her out, and then they undid them for me so I could hold her. I held her for a long time like that with DH.
My beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!

August 26th, 2011, 08:37 AM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do not know about going without the drape completely - but I am going to have the drape pulled down for my c-section, so I can see the baby come out. I am not sure how much they will pull it down though...I will let you know in a two weeks!

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search