Scared To Death....

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I am very scared to have a C-section.. I am having a C-section due to Medical conditions.. I am deathly scared of needles and especially knowing I am getting some needles in my back.. As well as being awake while a surgery is going on.. I know you can't see or feel anything but I honestly would feel better being Knocked out.. My family and husband keep telling me not to get knocked out because I will miss out on my daughters first cry.. I mean I know I will hear her cry a lot more afterwards and Its not like i will never ever see her and my husband will be there to take pictures so I know i won't miss a thing.. I have such horrible anxiety and panic attacks over this I dont know what to do... I am currently 38 weeks today and my C-section is scheduled for August 8th, 2011 but My doc appt is today and My doc my move up the C-section.. Any help and advice I could get ASAP would be greatly appreciated...
July 27th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran
I understand your fears of needles and the one in your back. Iv's still terrify me and I have had close to 100 of them. I have had 4 c-sections one where I was knocked out and 3 with either spinals or epidurals.

My first was using general anesthestic b/c of a prolapsed cord-I didn't have an epidural or spinal at the time because I was terrified of the needle in my back and ivs and I was determined to have my first son with no pain medication. My doctor announced that I was having a c-section and within 7 minutes, I had an iv, was knocked out, and my son was born. I didn't wake up for 7 hours. I missed his first cries, his first diaper, and pretty much everything after I woke up until the next day when the general was out of my system and I could stay awake.

My second was with a epidural. I didn't handle the VBAC very well and needed the pain medication. My DD's cord was wrapped around her body under her arms and she kept going into distress. They simply increased the medication to do the c-section. I could hear her cry in the OR and was up holding her within an hour of her birth.

My third and fourth were with a spinal-same idea as an epidural-stronger medication. I was joking around with the doctors asking for a tummy tuck and they laid my sons on my chest after they were born.

I understand the panic attacks-I get them for blood tests and ivs. I have learned to insist on an iv technician to have it inserted-I DO NOT let a labor and delivery nurse do it regardless of how many they say they have done. I have also found that in some cases they can prescribe a very light sedative before they begin the epidural. My doctor actually prescribes one a few days before the c-section because I work myself into a tizzy worrying about the iv and epidural. My doctor already has it on his chart for the next c-section at the end of October.

Talk to your doctor about your fears-many will not do general anesthesia because the baby is often affected by it. Go in and talk to the labor and delivery nurses. Information will help you in your decision.

July 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a crazy first C section birth (unplanned/emergency) so I was right where you were with my son. I was so close to just telling them that I wanted them to give me something to sleep. The hospital staff were excellent though and the anesthesiologist was awesome so I went along. You have to be awake for the spinal, etc so there's nothing really you can do about that. Just make sure your Dr or a nurse are there by your side and explain to them how you feel. They may put some one in place so you can be comforted. Voice your fears and find out what the policy is at the hospital for when your baby is delivered/recovery room stuff.

I can tell you I'm glad I didn't get knocked out because I was the first time around and I didn't see my daughter for hours. She had already been fed and when I woke I was so groggy, I barely remember seeing her. With my baby boy, I saw him almost right away in recovery and was able to nurse and have him with me the whole time. It meant a world of difference for me in my birth experience and actually helped heal some of my fears that I had had over the surgery, etc.
July 28th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream63 View Post
I understand your fears of needles and the one in your back. Iv's still terrify me and I have had close to 100 of them. I have had 4 c-sections one where I was knocked out and 3 with either spinals or epidurals.

My first was using general anesthestic b/c of a prolapsed cord-I didn't have an epidural or spinal at the time because I was terrified of the needle in my back and ivs and I was determined to have my first son with no pain medication. My doctor announced that I was having a c-section and within 7 minutes, I had an iv, was knocked out, and my son was born. I didn't wake up for 7 hours. I missed his first cries, his first diaper, and pretty much everything after I woke up until the next day when the general was out of my system and I could stay awake.

My second was with a epidural. I didn't handle the VBAC very well and needed the pain medication. My DD's cord was wrapped around her body under her arms and she kept going into distress. They simply increased the medication to do the c-section. I could hear her cry in the OR and was up holding her within an hour of her birth.

My third and fourth were with a spinal-same idea as an epidural-stronger medication. I was joking around with the doctors asking for a tummy tuck and they laid my sons on my chest after they were born.

I understand the panic attacks-I get them for blood tests and ivs. I have learned to insist on an iv technician to have it inserted-I DO NOT let a labor and delivery nurse do it regardless of how many they say they have done. I have also found that in some cases they can prescribe a very light sedative before they begin the epidural. My doctor actually prescribes one a few days before the c-section because I work myself into a tizzy worrying about the iv and epidural. My doctor already has it on his chart for the next c-section at the end of October.

Talk to your doctor about your fears-many will not do general anesthesia because the baby is often affected by it. Go in and talk to the labor and delivery nurses. Information will help you in your decision.
Thank You soooo Much For the Information and Advice.. I wrote it all down and Will Defintally talk to my doctor about it all.. You have helped me out a great deal!!!!! Congrats To you and your Family about your new addition in Oct.
July 30th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was super scared before my C-section and like you I considered general anesthesia. I watched the birth stories - which I probably shouldn't have and that got me even more nervous. But this C-section board really made me comfortable. I read all the experiences and what I should expect and even though I was SOOOOO nervous going in it was exactly how everybody described it. No surprises. And I survived. I had a really good experience. The needle in the back hurts but only for 10-20 seconds. The nurse held me (my head on her chest) while the anesthesiologist put the spinal in. And then it was done. I took lots of deep breaths and thought of the Just Mommies stories and that it would be over soon. I kept telling myself "Just hang in there it will be only one hour or so and then you have your baby." And so it was. My C-section is almost a year ago but I remember everything pretty clearly if you have any questions.

I drove myself crazy before the C-section. I had to distract myself by going to the theater and watching some funny movies and going for walks. Try to go out and do stuff (after the baby is here you won't have time/energy to do that anyways), like go out to eat or visit a museum.

I hope you won't be too afraid going into the section. You can always vent your fears here.
July 31st, 2011, 05:30 PM
Regular
I'm headed into my third C section.. it was totally not what i planned, but my first was breech (which they kindly discovered 10 hours INTO my labor, when I was nearly 3 cm and my water had broken hours earlier). It was too late to turn him, so they did a C. My 2nd, they were supportive of VBAC, but he was in distress that signaled cord compression, and they said anything they could do to alleviate the distress they couldn't do because I was a VBAC. They treated it as an emergency, gave me a shot to stop labor, and had him out in about 15 minutes - as soon as the epidural took, they started cutting.

So, this time, different doctor, who let me choose. I'm just having the C this time - I know how to recover from them, and so far my epidural experiences have been fairly good.

My best advice for surgery is this - don't worry about the noise/being awake - bring an MP3 player and keep it on until the baby's out - after you hear him/her cry, you won't care about anything else. Then put it back on while they stitch you up. Last time I fell asleep during that part and woke up in recovery.

My overall best advice is this: GET OUT OF BED AS SOON AS YOU CAN. Tell the hospital and your doctor that you do not want the epidural in longer than is absolutely necessary. The sooner you're ambulatory, the better your healing. With the first, I labored all night and he was born at 7am. They left the epidural in nearly 24 hours, and I didn't get out of bed until about 10am the next day, and it was a rough recovery for me. The 2nd time, he was born at 1:15 am, and I had it out around 9am. I was out of bed around 10, and had showered on my own by 7pm that evening. By the time I left the hospital after my 4 days, I was taking only the Ibuprofin, and I was MUCH more alert, efficient, and comfortable. Nursing is a LOT easier when it doesn't hurt to get into the right position, so being able to move around pain free, is essential. It's also good for your sleep. I'm personally a stomach/side sleeper, and not being able to sleep on my side for nearly 5 weeks with #1 was horrible. I just didn't rest well. With the 2nd, I was partially on my side in under a week, and it was a much better experience.

Feel free to send me a note if you want more detail or want to talk.
August 3rd, 2011, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celine View Post
I was super scared before my C-section and like you I considered general anesthesia. I watched the birth stories - which I probably shouldn't have and that got me even more nervous. But this C-section board really made me comfortable. I read all the experiences and what I should expect and even though I was SOOOOO nervous going in it was exactly how everybody described it. No surprises. And I survived. I had a really good experience. The needle in the back hurts but only for 10-20 seconds. The nurse held me (my head on her chest) while the anesthesiologist put the spinal in. And then it was done. I took lots of deep breaths and thought of the Just Mommies stories and that it would be over soon. I kept telling myself "Just hang in there it will be only one hour or so and then you have your baby." And so it was. My C-section is almost a year ago but I remember everything pretty clearly if you have any questions.

I drove myself crazy before the C-section. I had to distract myself by going to the theater and watching some funny movies and going for walks. Try to go out and do stuff (after the baby is here you won't have time/energy to do that anyways), like go out to eat or visit a museum.

I hope you won't be too afraid going into the section. You can always vent your fears here.
Dear Celine
Thank you soo much for your advice... It means a lot that you have responded to my post and so nicely as well.. I wish there was a way I could chat with u one on one on this site with the questions i Have or if there is i am not sure how to do so.. But thank you again from the bottom of my heart thank you...
August 3rd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know how scary it is I have been there. I was a wreck plus the hormones from the pregnancy don't help. I can definitely relate to how you are feeling. Try to remember it will be over soon and then you will have a beautiful little baby to cuddle and love and it will be so worth it and the C-section will be all behind you. Not much longer for you. Have they set the final date?

If you post your questions here then maybe other moms that have the same question but are too shy to ask can read and maybe write a comment as well. I think the ladies here are all very supportive and don't care if you ask something private.

I send you a private message (on the top of the screen under "Just Mommies Message Boards" you can click on the Private Messages in blue and you should have one from me. If you want to ask privately.
May 22nd, 2013, 09:29 AM
I am also very very scared of the caesarean. In my city of Kolkata , doctors push patients for caesarean. I got to face it . I donot know how. I would like to be put to sleep but most probably they wont do it for the baby's health. Is there any safe sedatives? anyone was prescribed...;I can speak to my doctor about it
if anyone has a first hand experience
May 22nd, 2013, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream63 View Post

Hi....Do u have any idea of the name of the sedative..I will ask the doctor to do the same for me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search