What is one thing you would tell a mom facing her first C section ?

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2012, 01:25 PM
georgiabrit's Avatar Super Mommy
My piece of advice would be.... if you have a c-section, you are still in control of your choices... and you still HAVE choices! If it hurts? Speak up. If you don't want your arms tied down? (never had that for 1st two, sure as hell aint for this one!) tell them! If you don't want the hep b shot / antibiotics in the eyes etc immediately given to baby? TELL THEM! You call the shots for both your own body and that of your child's. I truly believe that the experience is much worse if you freak out and feel that all control has been taken from you.

Its not a kidnapping, it's a surgical birth... your body should be respected, and your wishes prioritized.

Polly
xx

March 23rd, 2012, 05:32 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone. Try not to freak out and be calm. If you are uncomfortable with the pressure tell your anasthesiologist. I did that and he gave me morphine....helped a lot. The itching was annoying after coming off of it though but they'll give you benadryl for it. Also, make sure you have someone to stay with you and help you. After all it is surgery. Good luck!

March 26th, 2012, 11:51 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Hmm. . . I guess I am an exception, I had absolutely no pain or discomfort during my C/S and i was prepared for it! But when the baby was coming out I felt like i took a deep breath and I even laughed so did my husband.
But, the spinal was VERY VERY uncomfortable. Dont over do it when you get out (which i know was already said) also again like everyone else said walk, move around, its the best thing you can do (as long as you arent lifting things or over doing it!)

March 29th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Take your pain medicine and don't feel guilty about it.

Make sure you have someone you can really count on that first week 24 hours a day to help you. Also don't feel guilty about this
June 3rd, 2012, 07:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The recovery can be difficult if you have a non-planned c-section and you may feel helpless at first because it's a little painful to move around but you'll be on your feet and *almost* back to normal before you know it. Certain things can happen, like nerve damage when they put the epidural in but it goes away with time and you start to feel okay again.
June 6th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZsnowflake View Post
Also, your arms will be out to each side...I describe it as the crucifixion position. That caught me totally off guard and was wierd for me too.
I didn't know this either! It was awkward!

Omg!!! I forgot about the itching caused by the epidural!! I think I scratched off 6 layers of skin on my face! It was horrible but they gave me benadryl which really helped once it started working.
June 9th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Super Mommy
What I recommend to all of my friends is to make sure you start taking stool softeners immediately afterwards. My doc did this for me and was heaven sent! A few of my friends didnt have this and was very painful.
JenK79 likes this.

Thank Kiliki for the siggy!!

July 24th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Id say make arrangementts for who will stay by your side right after c section. With my first- everyone went to see baby. I was taken to a room alone. With just a nurse monitoring me. I was paralyzed from the sternum down and felt panicky and alone --- everyone gone , including the baby that had been inside me 9 months!
My second was at a different hospital. After the surgery baby was put in my arms and we were wheeled to the recovery room with hubby right by me the whole time.
Oh and agree with the walking!!!! As soon as possible to avoid the sharp stabbing pains you get from trapped gas!
Pregnant with #3
July 25th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Yes, WALK!! It hurts but you gotta do it no matter what. A nice firm pillow to hug if you have to cough or sneeze. You may be chattering your teeth uncontrollably, just a side effect of the spinal. If you want to see your baby pulled out ask for the curtain to be lowered. My doctor actually had a mirror so I could watch my daughter being pulled out but the hospital I will deliver at this time does not do that. Last but not least, talk to whoever is sitting by your side. It's good and it helps a lot to keep a conversation going about your special day

September 20th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Veteran
I had relatively little pain with my Csect as well, and I was prepared from the start of my pregnancy that one would be very likely for me (I am very small) As soon as they will let you out of bed, get up and walk, and do it often. It is so much easier to start moving when you are still on all the good meds then to lay around and wait. Ask your Dr to stitch you and use a pressure bandage rather than using staples if it is at all possible. I barely have a very faint pencil thin scar that is only about 3 inches long from my csection that even I have to look hard to find because my Dr took the time to stitch me rather than use staples. I also think I probably healed a lot faster because of this as well. I only felt the "pulling" sensation while healing if I twisted at the waist for about the first week or so.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search