What is one thing you would tell a mom facing her first C section ?

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2011, 05:44 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
If you could tell her one thing what would it be ?

September 24th, 2011, 12:14 PM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
Anyone ?

September 24th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That although you are numb, it is not painless. You will feel lots of pressure, tugging, and pulling. This is something i did not expect with my c/s with my son. I had not read up on c/s because my mother and SIL both had c section's so I knew I wouldn't be upset if that's something I ended up needing. In fact i though, oh well if I need a c-section at least it will be painless! Uh, yea not so much! I remember laying there thinking "are they doing a special kind of c-section where they cut me open and then push the baby out my vagina anyways?!?" because that's how bad it hurt.

Also, your arms will be out to each side...I describe it as the crucifixion position. That caught me totally off guard and was wierd for me too.

It took me a good 3 days to feel up to walking after my c/s. But once I started walking (even though it was more of a hobble because it was so painful) the recovery seemed to become easier. This time I will be walking as often as I can and pushing myself to get out of bed more often even if it is painful because I know the end reward will be feeling better sooner.

good luck!@
September 27th, 2011, 02:52 PM
straysd0ntsleep's Avatar Veteran
Walk. Walk, walk, walk, walk and walk some more. It made a huge difference for me.
September 27th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the walking. I was up less than 12 hours after my C section and the more I moved around the better I felt. Obviously, not trying to over do it.

The pain is fleeting but, make sure at least in the first few days that you are on top of your meds. If you're doing a ton and don't take one, you're gonna be pretty sore once it hits you.

Be vocal about how you're feeling with your anesthesiologist. Let them know if you're nauseous, if it hurts, etc. They can fix it if you're vocal about it.
JenK79 likes this.
September 28th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree with walking, walking and more walking! Don't push yourself too far but don't baby yourself too much either. I was always more sore after long periods of staying still, but if I moved around it kept everything from tightening up. Also don't be a hero....if you need the meds take them. Listen to your dr, if he tells you not to do something, there is a reason and probably a consequence if you don't heed his advise.

September 28th, 2011, 10:28 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
There is definitely some pain associated with a c-section. Maybe it was just me but I know that beyond my spinal not working that I should have expected some pulling and tugging and such.

September 30th, 2011, 07:14 PM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Get up and get moving as soon as you can after the surgery because it helps you feel better sooo much faster! I got up 8 hours after surgery this time and was off pain meds and at home 2 days post op....I felt so much better than I did after my last two cesareans.

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
October 5th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Jennowznm's Avatar Veteran
With my past 2 cesareans. They went very well.. I was up and moving around several hours after the sugrey. I healed pretty quickly. I was very nervous at first but you will be fine... Just move slowly,try not to lift heavy items.. With this last one I had on March 23rd.. I still have a bruise on my lower belly by incesion.. I bruised all over,my lower belly was all blue,purple.. My Dr was shocked when she seen it telling me I need to slow down and be carful with things.. 6 months later I still have a smaller briuse. Not sure if it will go away.. U will fine. =)
October 6th, 2011, 07:56 AM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Walk walk walk. agreed.

Also BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!! I was totally blind sided by how uncomfortable the c section was. I set myself up by watching the BABY STORY on TV. The surgeries looked so effortless and pain free. WRONG.

However once baby is out, the joy is like no other.

TAKE PICTURES!!! My husband and I were taken off guard by a last second csection and didn't get any pics.

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
October 7th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't panic. I believe breathing techniques are important, even if you're having a c-section, to help keep mom calm and relaxed through a c-section.

I just had a second c-section, and I was pretty upset about having a rcs, but I focused on relaxation breathing, and it really helped me to stay calm and not panic.

October 10th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree w/ all the advice. I also recommend breathing. I got through the c-section by telling myself over and over that the surgery will be over in an hour or so and then it is all done and my baby will be here. I also told myself not to moan if it's painful but to breathe through the pain and that pain is just temporary.
October 11th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minilegs View Post
Be vocal about how you're feeling with your anesthesiologist. Let them know if you're nauseous, if it hurts, etc. They can fix it if you're vocal about it.
Absolutely agree with this. I had some intense nausea right after they administered my spinal. I spoke up right away and they were able to give me medication that made the nausea disappear.

Pre c-section I encourage mommies to read about the procedure so you're not surprised by what happens.

Post c-section it is so important not to overdo it. You have nothing to prove to anyone and a c-section is a major surgery, so take the time if you can to relax and heal.

October 22nd, 2011, 12:40 PM
kellyg282's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by molynn View Post
Pre c-section I encourage mommies to read about the procedure so you're not surprised by what happens.
I 100% agree with this! I never did ANY research on the matter because I was dumb and naive thinking I was going to have a all natural vaginal birth. Boy was I suprised! It's not scary, I just wish I would have done the research!!

Will never forget the two angels that left us way to soon. Gone before I could hear there little heart beats. July 4, 2008 and March 9, 2009.

"As Long As I Live You Will Live
As Long As I Live You Will Be Remembered
As Long As I Live You Will Be Loved."
October 22nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
ladybugwoods's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree with all the previous advice .....do your research!! Walk walk and don't over do it.
My advice would be - you did not fail. Nothing is wrong with you. Don't let anyone badger you. Also make sure you get a chance to see your baby, otherwise it may not seem real.
October 23rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
lil_fishy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree with walking! It made it so much better!

During the procedure, your arms will be tied down.

Don't be a martyr. Get someone to come help you when you get home or be prepared for limited mobility. I wasn't able to put my little girl in her crib, so DH or my mom would get her, change her and bring her to me to BF and return her to her crib. It took about a week for me to be able to get her in and out of her crib.

October 24th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
DON'T focus on the fact you're 'having a c/s' - focus on the fact your BABY IS BEING BORN!!!

there is (sadly) so much stigma attached to having a c/s, and a lot of people can be very judgemental about it - which can be really hard to deal with! At the end of the day though, you're having YOUR BABY! which is a joyous, amazing, memorable, fabulous occasion, no matter how it happens!

October 24th, 2011, 10:30 PM
kellyg282's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby&Emmy'sMama View Post
DON'T focus on the fact you're 'having a c/s' - focus on the fact your BABY IS BEING BORN!!!
Amen! I think that is the best advice to give!!!!

Will never forget the two angels that left us way to soon. Gone before I could hear there little heart beats. July 4, 2008 and March 9, 2009.

"As Long As I Live You Will Live
As Long As I Live You Will Be Remembered
As Long As I Live You Will Be Loved."
February 20th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Have someone there to help you when you come home for at least two weeks.
February 23rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Everyone gave great advice!

C-sections are not painless and it will be uncomfortable when the doctors push to deliver the baby. Also not being able to feel your legs or move them is unnerving, but normal.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search