Spinal or Epidural

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mommaof4andhalf

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Super Mommy
Hi ladies,

I am due to have my c-section 1 week from today and I met with the Anesthesiologist today and he was asking me questions and asked if my skin was itchy after the last c-section...I remeber having the legs and face itchy...He said it was the pain medication that they put in the spinal.
He suggested having an epidural, that way I would not have the itching afterwards, and they would control the spidural so I would be frozen longer, so I would not feel the pain. He swaid either way you will not be getting up anyways that evening
What have you ladies had....
June 26th, 2012, 07:20 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I've had both and I can't say that I had different effects. I had itching with both as well as uncontrollable shaking. It's odd that he said you won't be up that night (assuming your c/s is in the morning). With both of mine I was up less than 12 hours later walking the halls!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
June 26th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Super Mommy
Well during the day they got me in a wheelchair to go and see my baby in NICU, but they kept the catheder in the whole night so I could get a good nights sleep...without having to get up and use the bathroom....And I was feeling sooo groggy the whole day...Not sure if it was the pain killer that they inject in when doing the spinal....
Is there one that you preferred over the other...Spinal or Epidural...I mean I had epidurals for my first 2 vaginal deliveries, just wondering when having a c-section if there is one that is better then the other....
June 27th, 2012, 06:57 AM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I feel I had a better experience with my spinal- I was up walking much quicker, never hurt, and was back to "normal" in less than a week!

That could have been the difference in circumstances too. My DD was born by emergency c/s after 38 hours of induced labor (34 of which were unmedicated!). She was what is called a snatch and grab birth, my incision was hip to hip so they could get her out ASAP. I was in the hospital 7 days total. DS was a scheduled c/s with a normal (tiny) incision. I was up walking 6 hours later and home 48 hours after surgery!

I'd go for the spinal, just because I had a better experience but I don't think one is better than the other. If you've had a better experience with the epidural- go for it! It's about making you the most comfortable!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
July 19th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I had a spinal with both my c-sections and I just remember it was so painful when the needle went in! Is an epidural just as painful? I have a scheduled c-section this October and I think I have a choice of what I want.

July 21st, 2012, 05:59 PM
mommaof4andhalf's Avatar Mighty Midget Minion Mom
I have only had epidurals thus far. It doesn't "hurt" per say......well, at least mine didn't. I did jump on the last one and was yelled at to hold still. It felt really funky though. I felt everything they were doing and was able to feel the little tube. I had that eeeby jeeby feeling for a few seconds with some uncontrollable shakes. Right afterwards though, when they got me laid down I was pretty numb. They numbed me enough to where I could feel my feet tingle. Other than that, nothing. I have never had a spinal and I am thinking of just sticking to what I know even though I have heard both pros and cons of the spinal.
Summerdays12 likes this.

-Chrissy. Momma to a teenage girl, a preteen girl, a little girl, and 2 boys. Straight Jacket Bound!!!!
July 22nd, 2012, 02:19 PM
Veteran
I had an epidural nd was itchy and had the shakes. I was up and moving that night (within 8 hrs)
July 22nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Oh yes the shakes. I forogt about those

August 2nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
mythreesons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had spinals with all four of mine. The first two I had the itchy, itchy, itches. There are two types of pain meds they can use for the spinal...one lasts longer than the other. However, the one that lasts longer gives you the itches. I opted for the spinal that wore off quicker and gave me no itches. Talk to your anesthesiologist about that. Duramorph is the meds that makes you itch. I wish I could remember the other drug's name for you.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my wonderful siggy!

Me: Kristine

August 2nd, 2012, 10:13 AM
Super Mommy
I've had both, too and my epidural didn't take. I could feel my belly so they had to do a spinal on top of that. Not fun.

I would go spinal. But for me the itching was not bad at all. Just a bit on my nose. Plus, it's longer and not necessary to control it during or after surgery.
August 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM
littlenoell's Avatar Love my babies.
I've had epidurals. They were painful.
February 2nd, 2013, 11:28 PM
Regular
I had a spinal with both my c-sections

Anika: 12/09/2011
Christine 02/01/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search