pain meds

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2012, 07:41 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
Do I have to have pain meds after? I remember after my csection I was horribly shaking and dizzy and I dont want to feel like that again
October 3rd, 2012, 10:30 AM
~Isela~
Pain meds are recommended. Was the dizziness and shaking within a few hours after the anesthesia? If so its probably side effects from the anesthesia. If not, by any chance so you remember what pain meds where given to you and if you do tell the doctor the way that particular meds made you feel and I'm sure thu can change it to a different one. I was on a PCA pump after for pain control and It was great. Everybody reacts different to meds. There is no reason you should be in discomfort after a surgery when the medications can be changed.

October 10th, 2012, 07:49 PM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Narcotics make me dizzy and I hate them. After my 2nd c-section it was so bad I told them to stop the morphine drip only hours after surgery. that was a HUGE mistake. The pain was terrible and when I went back on the pain meds, I couldnt get proper relief b/c the pain had "gotten ahead of me". With my 3rd I was given Diladin (sp?) instead of Morphine and I demanded to be allowed to eat asap after surgery, this helped alot! I also took the smallest dose possible, got up walking asap so I didnt get stiff and so my bowels would move (gas pains make it worse). The day after surgery I was sent home and I was only taking a half a percocet. The next day I was off the percocet. Just wean off gradually.

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
October 15th, 2012, 04:11 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The shakiness is the effects of the anesthesia probably. I get it bad and after the baby is removed, they have always given me something to relax and stop the shaking! (But you have to wait until the baby is out because it isn't safe for them).. I can't remember what it is called though..

I feel super weird on pain meds too but honestly I couldn't take the pain without them. I feel yucky but the pain can make it hard for me to breathe. (I have medical conditions that make my pain tolerance level very low). But of course it is a personal decison

November 15th, 2012, 05:36 AM
the dizziness happened 25 min after I was wheeled into recovery...
November 15th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I was only given Advil after mine. I wasn't offered any pain meds and had to pretty much beg for benedril to relieve me from the side effects of my spinal. It was the worst pain I've ever experienced, it was so awful. If they had offered me anything I would have taken it, believe me...being a little jittery or shaking from pain meds is much, much better then healing from a c/s with nothing...

I didn't think they gave anything for the pain, it was extreme, but all the dr's and nurses seemed to think it was totally natural to be in pain and didn't care. I told my friend afterwards and she said I should have asked...didn't even think to, I thought it would have been offered...(but then again, I didn't even know how to fill a presciption before I got pregnant, I've never taken anthing stronger than an advil)...

now I know - lesson learned.
November 15th, 2012, 06:18 PM
What side affects did you get from the spinal?
November 16th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I got itchy...really itchy. The dr said it was a normal side effect but can be worse for some. I was so itchy I couldn't hold the baby and I was grabbing anything in sight to scratch myself with, I was crying it was so bad. Looking back, it did distract me from the pain, I was lifting my feet up to scratch them right after surgery.

Finally after 10 hours they gave me benedril.

The hospital I was at is the only hospital in the city that delieves babies and the only one in the area that does high-risk delieveries so it is a baby factory and very very busy. Getting personal attention from dr and nurses seems to be unheard of there.
November 16th, 2012, 09:33 AM
i just dont want dizziness!
November 16th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Super Mommy
I took regular tylenol after my c-section. Still got itchy from the morphine they gave me during surgury though.

I was offered tylenol 3s but i didnt want them.
July 9th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Veteran
You can refuse meds. I did with my first, because I wanted to know if the pain was manageable, and it was for me. You can always ask for them when you feel you need them. With my second, I had a tubal done at the same time, and I thought I could do without the meds, like I did the first time. Boy was I WRONG! I was in so much pain I could barely move once the meds wore off. I finally broke down at the end of the day and asked for meds, lol. And then I felt soooo much better!

Web Designer at Studio239Design.com, and Creator of SWFLbaby.com
July 15th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If your dizziness isn't from the actual anesthesia, then you can just ask for the Ibuprofen instead of the narcotics. I took very little of the oxy and loved the ibuprofen. It relieved the soreness/pain without feeling drugged.
July 18th, 2013, 11:06 AM
My cousin went through some horrible side-effects when taking the pain meds - though recommended by most doctors as a convenient method to elevate the pains, it still carries efects that may vary greatly on the personal level, my recommendation for you is to review the family reaction to any sedatives or pain medication taken in the past (a large portion of the reaction will be influenced by your genetics) and simply be cautious of your body reactions.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search