Spinal compared to epidural

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By My3Boys64
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By Tinka844
  • 1 Post By Antrim
  • 1 Post By my3sonsplus1

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Super Mommy
Hi everyone! I am new to this site and have an 8 year old girl and just found out that I am pregnant! I had a c-section with my daughter and will be having another with this baby as well..i had the epidural the last time and will probably have the spinal this time..my question is.....how are they different and do they feel the same? which is better?
October 9th, 2012, 10:38 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I've only had a spinal but mine didn't work so I was put under general after 2 failed attempts but that is rare for stuff like that to happen.

October 10th, 2012, 07:44 PM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an epidural the first time, a spinal the 2nd and an epidural the 3rd. The spinal is almost immediate numbness but takes longer to wear off. I got the spinal headache after my 2nd c-section so I asked for an epidural for my 3rd. They had to do the epi twice and still it didnt numb me well enough. they had my upsidedown on the table and tried everything - they had to give me a local numbing shot so I wouldnt feel the cut and I felt some of the pain on the inside. :/ It was no fun. if I had another I would get a spinal, its faster and more complete. just ask them to do the extra thin needle (they really only use those now anyway) so you dont get the headache.
Karenna likes this.

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
October 15th, 2012, 04:13 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definitely will be doing the spinal. My doc doesn't give an option for which one you want, he always does the spinal because it is immediate and they can start the surgery within just a couple minutes. Does take a long time to wear off though.. I never had any problems with it or headaches or anything.
Karenna likes this.

October 15th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Super Mommy
My sis had the spinal with both of hers and she didnt have any problems....but I have NO experience with it so I am soooooo scared that I might have a bad reaction or get sick from it or feel as though I cant breathe (all horrible things I have heard about it)
November 10th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I had a spinal with my c/s. Not sure how an epidural works or is, since I've never had one, but the spinal pretty painless. It took a while for them to get it in, but they numb the area first, so I couldn't feel anything. Once in it was almost instant numbness, I couldn't feel a thing from the chest down. I could feel tugging and pulling throughout the operation but that was it.

One of the meds they put in the spinal causes itching as a side effect. This was the WORST part. I endured hours of violent itching until they finally gave me benedril in my IV. It was awful, I felt likt there were bugs all over my body, I was grabbing anything in sight and scratching my body with it, I couldn't even hold the baby. My lips were even itchy, urgh, looking back scares me...wasn't fun.
Karenna likes this.
November 20th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Super Mommy
I was an emerg c section after labouring. For the labour I had an epi that took then wore off and wouldn't take again even after numerous tries. For the c section they did a spinal that was great. No pain actually no feeling at all. I was numb from chest down for a couple of hours which was weird but other than that it was great.
Karenna likes this.
January 5th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Super Mommy
I had an epidural with my first and spinal with my second. The epidural made me feel really out of it and I had a bad headache afterwards. With the spinal, I felt much better and was up and moving around much sooner. I'll be getting a spinal for this c-section as well.
Karenna likes this.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
January 28th, 2013, 01:28 PM
onemoremakesfour's Avatar ThreeBoys
I felt good after all 3 spinals - never had an epi to compare it too. The first was a little bit too much and I didn't like how long it took to feel again. The last two were not bad and all and I'm hoping to have a good 4th one!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search