Skin burning & sensitive after C-Section

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My c-section was 9 days ago. My outer incision line is pretty much numb. However, from my belly button out to my sides and then down to my bikini line incision my skin literally burns and is extremely sensitive to the point that it bothers me to wear clothes. It feels like a burn on my entire abdomen.

Did this happen to anyone? Any idea what's causing it? I would feel a lot better if it wasn't for this constant burning sensation.

I know another way to describe it. I had a lot of tape over the incision that was removed at 24 hours. It burned pretty bad when they pulled the tape off because I had a lot of adhesive stuck to my skin. It's that same sensation, only it doesn't go away and it's over a large area.
July 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
The only burning sensation *I* can think of is a reaction to the tape or an infection. I'd call your doc and see.
July 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
I had the same thing for a few weeks after my surgery. My OB told me it was normal because the nerves are cut and are healing. I had a hard time wearing clothes too, but I just wore loose clothing and put 2 panty liners stuck together over my incision between my underwear and my clothes and it helped the most sensitive part. It will go away! NOw mine is just sensitive right over my incision, but my OB said this can last possibly indefinitely (it is not nearly as uncomfortable though!)
July 23rd, 2006, 05:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My incision area is also sensitive...but it is getting better. I couldn't stand to hold Noah anywhere near that area and it bothered me to wear clothes. It just feels funny there. I haven't had any burning...it is definately something to mention to your doctor-just to rule out infection.

My mother had a c/s with me 27 years ago and she said her incision area still feels a little funny! I have a feeling we are never going to feel the same down there!

July 26th, 2006, 07:48 AM
hopin4a4rth
I feel no pain in my incision area but above it.... I thought it might be from the way the stretched things during the c/s.
July 30th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Regular
I have the EXACT same problem. I had a c-section 4 weeks back and am unable to bear the burning on my lower abdomen. I went to a dermatologist who said it could be allergic reaction to things they cleanse with during surgery and gave me a steroid ointment. I have been applying it but it has NOT made any difference. Did you ever find out what the cause is and are you feeling any better now? Please let me know if you found any help. Thanks.

Quote:
My c-section was 9 days ago. My outer incision line is pretty much numb. However, from my belly button out to my sides and then down to my bikini line incision my skin literally burns and is extremely sensitive to the point that it bothers me to wear clothes. It feels like a burn on my entire abdomen.

Did this happen to anyone? Any idea what's causing it? I would feel a lot better if it wasn't for this constant burning sensation.

I know another way to describe it. I had a lot of tape over the incision that was removed at 24 hours. It burned pretty bad when they pulled the tape off because I had a lot of adhesive stuck to my skin. It's that same sensation, only it doesn't go away and it's over a large area.[/b]
July 30th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
[quote]
I have the EXACT same problem. I had a c-section 4 weeks back and am unable to bear the burning on my lower abdomen. I went to a dermatologist who said it could be allergic reaction to things they cleanse with during surgery and gave me a steroid ointment. I have been applying it but it has NOT made any difference. Did you ever find out what the cause is and are you feeling any better now? Please let me know if you found any help. Thanks.

It's still happening and hasn't gotten any better. A few people have suggested an infection, but I don't think I'm showing ANY signs of infection. I'm going to call my doctor in the morning to see what he says is going on. I've talked to several people I know who've had c-sections and they never dealt with this. I'll deal with it as long as I know something isn't wrong. But it sure is annoying! I wish I could go without clothes rubbing my abdomen, but since I'm still bleeding that isn't an option.
July 31st, 2006, 01:36 PM
bettyc
if it is burning and the area is red it could be a yeast infection i got a yeast infection after my c-section and thought it was some kind of heat rash because it wasnt able to get any air because of the top skin that fell over it i had never had a yeast infection so i had no idea you could get them on your belly as well as down below but that is what my ob told me i had so she gave me a prescription cream to put on three times a day and it heeled in no time!! you might want to find out if that is what you might have also she had me lye down after a shower for about 10 minutes holding my stomach up so that air could get on the incision area that also seemed to help but i wasnt able to do it everyday with a toddler and an infant!! well i hope you feel better soon!!
July 31st, 2006, 02:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I finally called the doctor's office this afternoon. The nurse said it isn't uncommon for this to happen. It's due to the nerves being cut during surgery and them trying to fuse back together (or something like that). She said some people have complete numbness on the abdomen during recovery while others experience the burning I described. She said it would get better with time, as the nerves do whatever they have to do (I'm going to be optimistic that I'm not stuck with this sensation forever).
February 20th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I am wondering if this burning feeling ever went away considering you're nearly 6 years out from your c-sections? I am just 10-months and I still feel burning on the incision. Thanks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search