Curious

Forum: Cesarean Section Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2012, 12:29 PM
A question out of pure curiosity - does it cost money in the United States to have a baby? Does it cost more to have a c/s?

A friend of mine is from Columbia and asked me how much it cost to have the baby...I was pretty shocked at the question, it cost nothing (other than the hospital parking)...she said there it would have cost a few thousand there...
November 16th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Super Mommy
From what I understand Yes, and yes.

Also Canadian, but American healthcare is pricey esp if you do not have health insurance.
November 19th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Super Mommy
Yup! It does cost money here in the US..however it is usually covered under your insurance plan
November 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes it costs, unless you have aid through the government. Insurance is pricey and even with insurance you have deductable and copays. With my first birth with insurance I still paid about $3000.00 out of pocket by the end for my deductable and my portion of the bill (insurance paid 80%, I paid 20%).

With my second I had a csection and I'm not sure if it was more because of that or because it was a doctor not in my network of insurance providers but I had insurance again and paid probably close to $3500.

I have good insurance and it is still expensive.
December 4th, 2012, 08:31 PM
WOW! That is insane! I thought I had it rough paying the parking charges...we don't pay anything here (in Canada) unless you go for a semi-private or private room...but then most insurance companies will cover 80%.
December 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
The total cost for my c/section was 18k? And that covered the surgery and my hospital stay which was 4 nights. Thankfully I didn't have to pay any out of pocket.

December 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM
oh my gosh!! 18k?? That's a new car.

What do people without insurance do? Are there free hospitals?

It's hard to wrap my head around, (most) healthcare here is free...hard to imagine it any other way...
July 9th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Veteran
No, there are no free hospitals. If you don't have insurance, and don't qualify for government aid, then they put you on a payment plan. They offer a cash discount (they charge more if you have insurance) and then you pay as you can, like $100 per month until it's paid off. Many people without insurance choose a birthing center over a hospital (if they've had a healthy pregnancy) because it would cost less.

Web Designer at Studio239Design.com, and Creator of SWFLbaby.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search